Community (the series)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ereth, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I had never watched this show, and I recently started now that the entire thing is on Hulu. I only have one thing to say -- How on earth did I miss this?

I REALLY enjoy it. It's quirky (not Wonderfalls quirky, alas, but still quirky) and funny and Chevy Chase is actually good in it.

I'm mid way through the first season and looking forward to each episode. Sometimes I get that "just one more episode" mode going and the next thing I know it's midnight.

2. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    :up:

The first season finale is still my favorite episode.

Season 2 and season 3 are more of the same, though a few more misses than in season 1. Still a lot of high concept and spoofing and fun dialog and quirky characters.

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Welcome to the club. You will hit a few clunker episodes and a couple where you will be wonder what in the heck are they even talking about. But when this show is on (and it's on more often than not), it will have you rolling. Definitely one of the top shows on TV currently.

4. headroll

headroll Let em' Roll

Jan 20, 2003
    Long...
    I began regularly watching this show only in the most recent season. I remember watching the Pilot, but not going any further at that point. I am re-watching the series from the beginning via Hulu Plus and really enjoying it. (wondering at what point they will write out the annoying professor who knows Jeff from his "barred" days)

-Roll

5. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    This is one of my favorite series ever. Zevida is right, the Season 1 finale is 10 kinds of awesomeness, and the second season's finale 2-parter isn't far behind.

I honestly can't think of any "clunker" episodes. There may be one or two and I've just forgotten about them, but I can't think of an episode that I consider "bad". A poor episode of Community is streets ahead of the best episode of many, MANY series.

6. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I believe I watched the first two episodes, and it didn't grab me. But I read some people here raving about it and sometimes think I should give it another chance.

Problem is I have way too much on my NPL already.

7. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    I did watch one Christmas episode where they were puppets or something and it was certainly amusing, but I think not having seen previous episodes really hurt me there. I'm enjoying the interplay between the characters and the growth and even references to previous episodes.

Oh, and I watched the one making fun of Glee!, which is kind of what made me give this a real look. I'm glad I did. I think I'll enjoy those episodes more when I get to them due to actually knowing what is going on now.

8. frankmint

frankmint New Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Near...
    I have watched it from ep 1. It has more hits than misses, when it is on, it is best comedy since AD.

9. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    The British one? He's my favorite! I love Duncan.

10. Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    John Oliver. He's a regular on the Daily Show with John Stewart and it was rather jarring to see him acting in something, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    He's not in it very often, but he's very good when he's been on.

12. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    None of the TV listing services I use, The Futon Critic, Epguides etc. have the return date for this. This is not good news. I suspect that the show jumped the shark and should not have had a second season.

13. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    :confused:

The show hasn't jumped any fish. It's loved by some, and not by others. But I don't think I've heard the JTS cliche thrown at it.

NBC has taken it off the early 2012 schedule so they can run some other sitcoms they need to air. It will return when they so decide, sometime in spring.

14. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
  15. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    :confused:
    I'm not even sure what would make you say either of these comments.

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I was even more confused since that jump the shark statement was preceeded with a "this is not good news" regarding the show not returning soon.

Disappointed that it's not returning, yet claiming it's jumped the shark? :confused:

17. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    "Jumped the shark" has completed its journey of becoming a cliche. First, someone invents a new phrase. Then people start using it. Eventually it becomes overused. Finally, some people start using it incorrectly because they don't know the origins of the phrase since it is ubiquitous. Congratulations, "Jump the shark". You're a cliche.

18. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    yep, I was wrong, because a Jump the Shark moment has not occured in the show. I suspect that shows just get "old". I used to watch Grey's Anatomy regularly for example and got tired of it being a continual soap opera rather than a story about interns learning their trade. I used to watch CSI and got burnt out. Some of the "sale by" dates on sitcoms are rather short.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'll translate that for you: "Jump[ed] the shark" has jumped the shark.

20. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    I thought it was more jarring hearing him rip Tim Tebow, but that doesn't make it not funny.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20wfcQYFJ-Y[/media]