Community - "Paradigms of Human Memory" - 04/21/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DreadPirateRob, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    When is a clip show not a clip show? When the clips are all brand new. :)

Leave it to the Community writers to skewer one of the most-despised tropes of modern television writing, and to make it hysterical. While part of me thinks that I'd really like to see the entire "episodes" that the "clips" came from (Old West ghost town, St. Patrick's Day/white water rafting, haunted house, mental institution, camping trip, etc.) they worked really well as basically one-off jokes.

Some of the things about this ep that I loved:

* the callback to the Christmas ep, where we saw what I wrote back then was something I wish we could have seen (the characters around the library table reacting to Abed's claymation fantasy).

* The quick pan to the diorama-Chang being left outside of the group while Chang is complaining to Annie's Boobs that he's not sure whether he's in the group or not. (That was a fun sentence to write)

* Abed's "The Cape" scene was awesome, as was the argument he and Jeff had about it (complete with the "6 seasons and a movie!" that Abed yelled as he ran off)

* The slow-mo "shipper" videos were great.

* The montage of Dean Pelton's entrances literally almost had me in tears.

2. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I liked that too. It was a nice touch, and subtly done.

that was awesome. I had to watch the whole thing twice, once paying attention to odean and once paying attention to Jeff and Britta's outfits in each bit.

3. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    This episode really was another example of how Community is streets ahead, and hopefully the Clip Show trope is ubiquitous enough that Steve won't complain about the reference being too obscure. ;) :p

The poke at Glee was cute too.

4. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    Somewhat off-topic, but busy's post reminded me of it:

Last week my wife said that something (I can't remember what) is "streets ahead". I praised her for the Community reference and she didn't know what I was talking about (she doesn't watch the show). She had picked it up and started using it without knowing where it came from. It's actually catching on and being used non-ironically. I predict that it will be in the OED within a decade.

5. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I really enjoyed that.

The flashback, within a flashback, within a flashback was humorous when they were talking about airing it all out so they would never have to fight again. :D

Jeff and Britta apparently have been getting it on a lot more than I thought.

Abed checking his "computer". :up:

Multiple clips of Shirly mentioning racism in the background.

There were a few jokes about The Cape. The one with Abed and Troy awaiting the premier, the joke with Jeff in the caferteria. There was another but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

6. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Are you kidding. If you are serious I am glad to know about the birth of that one. I am cracking up just thinking about it.

7. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    There was a scene at the end where the entire gang was each wearing a black cape. I think it was when Jeff was giving his 'speech'.

8. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Jeff's speech was classic, in a non-sequitur way. :D

9. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    great episode...or greatest episode?

10. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Great! Greatest for me is still the paintball one. This one was pretty close though.

11. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    "We're losing sight of the fact that there's a grown up in here that still believes in Leprechauns."

They make us think it's Abed, but slowly it's revealed that it's Pierce. :up:

12. MarkofT

MarkofT ****

Jul 27, 2001
    Where Texas...
    We were about halfway through the episode when my wife says to me "I don't remember the ghost hunting episode."

I think the writers all had these little scenes in their head but couldn't find enough to build a whole show out of them. So we get this clip show.

And the best line was Troy's "I've seen a lot of movies and the raft always moves faster when you poke a hole in the back of it!"

13. Bryanmc

Bryanmc I'm normal.

Sep 5, 2000
    Richardson,...
    Didn't 30 Rock do the same thing this week? I didn't remember the flashbacks they had in that episode.

14. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Alan Sepinwall, in his review this week, guessed that the idea for this show probably came out of the number of one-off jokes the writers thought were hilarious, but that they didn't think they could stretch into a full ep. I think that's probably more likely than not.

That one slayed me.

15. atrac

atrac New Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Completely blown away. This episode was epic. Genius!

Both this and 30 Rock really outdid themselves this week!

16. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    +1

I do wonder how much this one cost to produce. We've had discussions here before about some episodes that were shot entirely on one set to save money. That certainly wasn't the case with this one.

17. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
  18. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Haha I use streets ahead all the time now. It is actually an interesting phrase... Although now I have started using streets behind too.

It is funny that people are picking it up outside the show, but I was thinking about it the other day and it is an effective phrase. I was thinking imagine in 100 years when streets ahead is a common phrase and the etymology dates it back to being a joke on Community made by Chevy Chase.

Really enjoyed this episode. The Cape Stuff was awesome. Overall very well done.

19. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    I think "streets ahead" might already have been a thing before Community used it, just in some other country, like England maybe.

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, of 30 Rock's flashbacks were genuine.

20. wouldworker

wouldworker _

Sep 7, 2004
    MA, USA
    A quick search confirms that you're right. It has been used in England and Australia for quite some time. That takes all the fun out of it. I guess it was too much to ask the writers to come up with a novel idiom.