Community OAD 5/5/2010 - "A Fistful of Paintballs"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, May 5, 2011.

1. May 5, 2011 #1 of 51
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    OK, let's get this out of the way first: no, it wasn't as good as "Modern Warfare". But then, that would have been a tall order, indeed.

This was a terrific episode in its own right. Loved how they doubled down on the Western genre and stuck with it.

Alison Brie? Holy moly was she good in this. Tough, sexy, and funny. "It's a rash. I'm allergic to beans."

Great to see Josh Holloway. I'm kind of disappointed he's "dead". Guess we won't see him again next week?

I'm sorry next week is the finale, but I can't wait to see how this comes out -- especially the resolution of the Pierce storyline. I'm glad they're dealing with how problematic his character has been in the group this season. (Hopefully they really are dealing with it.)

2. May 5, 2011 #2 of 51
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    (Waits for Steveknj to say that its too obscure ;) )

It's not always easy to judge two parters by only the first part but I also like that they ran with the whole Western motif and I was also surprised that Holloway's roles wasn't larger.

The other interesting thing is the reversal of Chang in this episode when you consider that he was such a badass in the last paintball episode.

Looking at the previews, the motif for next week
    appears to be from the movie The Warriors.

Oh and the Dean was hilarious as well.

3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 51
    TheMerk

TheMerk Always Bid First

Feb 26, 2001
    Salt Lake...
    I enjoyed it a lot. One of the standout episodes of the season IMO.

4. May 6, 2011 #4 of 51
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Alison Brie was spectacular in this episode.

I also liked Troy being dressed head-to-toe in yellow, like Cleavon Little in Blazing Saddles.

5. May 6, 2011 #5 of 51
    busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Reversal of Chang is the name of the ninja/spy-thriller screenplay I'm writing.

6. May 6, 2011 #6 of 51
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Breast episode ever!

7. May 6, 2011 #7 of 51
    verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I see what you did there. I saw it again in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n.

8. May 6, 2011 #8 of 51
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Also liked the nod to Lost's "Sawyer" when Josh Holloway nicknamed Annie "Bean Allergy".

9. May 6, 2011 #9 of 51
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Loved the scene where the Black Rider fell for Pierce's fake heart attack even through the rest of the study group kept warning him.

So, who's the actual "boss" of the ice cream company (in the cone suit)? The Dark Rider said "this is bigger than you know" and I got a bit of a Star Wars/Darth Vader vibe at the end when the "storm troopers" came out of the ice cream truck.

I meant to go back and check: is there a correlation between the character names (i.e., Ace of Spades) and the cards they used in the voting scene? Maybe we can figure out who the single red card was (I don't think it was Annie for some reason).

10. Fleegle

Fleegle Chef-In-Training

Jan 15, 2002
    Annie was teh Queen of Hearts, and I remember that being the one red card vote to keep Pierce. The rest were all Spades or Clubs.

11. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Very good episode. If there was no paintball episode last year we would definitely hold this one in high regard.

Alison Brie is fantastic on this show, she deserves an Emmy nod but won't get one.

"Is my forehead that big?"...."It's not small"

12. mmilton80

mmilton80 Custom User Title

Jul 28, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I've never seen a western (or went to the Frontier Land in Disney World) so this episode fell flat for me. They really went for an obscure reference here. ;)

13. Donbadabon

Donbadabon Bored TCF Club

Mar 5, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I fell out seeing the Dean covered head-to-toe with paintball shots.

I liked the shotgun that Sawyer had, and liked how jealous Jeff was at Sawyers good looks.

14. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Preview spoilers:
    The guy talking into the mic doing the voice over was definitely the City College Dean. Not sure who's specifically in the suit, but the war is probably going to be against City College.

15. aRKade

aRKade New Member

May 22, 2002
    Farmington, MN
    With all the pop culture references in this show I am guessing they were all dressed up as characters from various westerns. I'm not much of a western fan so I couldn't figure them all out but I too caught Troy as Cleavon Little from Blazing Saddles. I am assuming Abed was Clint Eastwood from Fistfull of Dollars and Pierce had a James Garner Maverick vibe to me. That is all I could figure out but Annie's "I wish I had pants" outfit and Shirley's Spanish Priest both seemed pretty distinct.

16. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Were any of the western-themed paintball guns real? Every paintball gun I've used has the huge air tank and ball hopper. The six-shooters and shotguns they had were pretty sweet, but I'm guessing TV magic was involved.

17. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    In the voting scene you can see each card they used to vote matches their "Western Name" when presented in the episode. And as was mentioned, Annie was the only one to hand in a red card, the Queen of Hearts.

Jeff even made mention of her being the last person to feel sorry for Pierce.

Loved, loved, loved Jeff's obsession with how not good looking the Dark Rider was. When Troy told him he had a problem I almost cried.

Nice to see Annie in something hot for a change. Abed was as great as ever. Pierce's saloon was hilarious.

18. Tyrannosullyrex

Tyrannosullyrex New Member

Oct 6, 2004
    They have paintball markers that resemble modern guns (Walther P99 for example) that uses paint "projectiles" like this:
    [​IMG]

19. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sweet! :up:

20. sean67854

sean67854 Why?

Jul 11, 2001
    Wouldn't...
    I'll have to go back and look, but I'm pretty sure both screen graphic and the red card were the Ace of Hearts.