Community OAD 12/9/2010 - "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cmontyburns, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 #1 of 54
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX

Advertisements

Wow. I think I'm actually proud of that episode. It would have been so easy for the stop-motion conceit to have been done for its own sake, as a gimmick -- and of course it was -- but the episode aimed a lot higher and put a nice, human, emotional story behind it. Not the funniest episode of the season, certainly, but in my book certainly one of the best. I thought it was really well-done.

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    That was awesome.

"It's the first season of Lost on DVD."

"That's the meaning of Christmas?"

"No-it's a metaphor for lack of payoff."

3. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I liked it. I pretty much like anything done Rudolph-style (as long as it's not vulgar)--sketches, commercials, promos, dream sequences with TV shows or movies. It wasn't exceptionally clever or exceptionally funny or exceptionally heartwarming. But, for a Humanist Christmas sermon, it was enjoyable.

4. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    If you blinked, you missed a glimpse of the actors at the end. It was a very nice touch.

This episode was co-written by Dino Stamatopoulos (Star-Burns on the show). He was the creator of Moral Orel, a stop motion animation on Adult Swim.

5. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002

Advertisements

aloof | distant | detached | bjork

I did a lot of pauses so I could catch the details in the background.

6. Jimbo713

Jimbo713 CreaTiVoty!

Dec 25, 2001
    Richmond, VA
    Will this episode repeat?

7. doom1701

doom1701 Time for a new Title TCF Club

May 15, 2001
    Grand...
    This was one of the coolest Christmas specials I've ever seen. It might not have been the funniest Community episode ever, but it was the unique type of show that only Community could pull off.

8. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    It was cute.

9. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Loved that Jeff-in-the-box's skeleton still had perfect hair. :up: :D Awesome episode.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Wow. Just frakking wow.

11. vman41

vman41 Omega Consumer

Jun 18, 2002
    I was thinking the lack of payoff metaphor could have used a Battlestar Galactica DVD as easily as the Lost DVD.

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Giggity! :p

13. pudding7

pudding7 New Member

May 13, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great Episode! When I saw the stop motion, I said "Oh no, what is this." But it was awesome!

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I had seen Sepinwall's preview of the episode, so I was expecting the stop-motion and I wasn't disappointed. It was an excellent episode.

15. Crash_Corrigan

Crash_Corrigan New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    I was at grad school last night. Went I got home I discovered that Community didn't record. It turns out that our local NBC affiliate preempted Community last night. Not sure what they aired instead. Thanks KSDK. It looks like they're going to run the episode on Sunday night at 11:30 p.m.

16. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    You must live in the Nashville market. The NBC affiliate there aired the Colts/Titans game that the rest of the country saw on NFL Network.

17. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I did not know that. Moral Orel was an awesome show, and I loved this episode. Well, I didn't really like the songs, but the idea behind the episode was very cool. I loved that it was Abed's delusion, and showing glimpses of the library as people moved in and out of it was very cool.

18. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    I must be a Philistine, but I was >this< close to turning it off, several times. I can put up with the (not very good) claymation (well, not really clay), and Abed's really, really bad singing. I just did not find it remotely funny.

19. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    Nope, KSDK is the NBC affiliate in St. Louis. They love to pre-empt programs on Thursday nights to show some local crap. The Post-Dispatch critic says they keep to keep all the ad revenue from that as opposed to splitting it with the network like on Community, so it makes them more money. I'd guess if enough people complain, they'll stop doing it, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

20. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I'm sure it will, but you can watch it online ;)

I liked "Baby Shirley"-and Brita's comment-Maybe if you cry enough, he will change you! :D:p

..oh, and since I live in the land of the Indianapolis Colts, my local Fox affiliate showed the game, so I have to catch "Fringe" in repeats or online !!!:mad: