Community "Modern Warfare" 5/6/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by smallwonder, May 6, 2010.

1. May 6, 2010 #1 of 78
    smallwonder

smallwonder Age quod agis

Jun 13, 2001
    MD, USA

Advertisements

That. Was. Brilliant. I'm still crying from The Warriors and Replacement Killers spoof segments.:up:

2. May 6, 2010 #2 of 78
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    agreed, simply brilliant - couldn't stop laughing!!

3. May 6, 2010 #3 of 78
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    I want to marry that episode. I want to do things to that episode that are illegal in every red state. I want to take the episode behind the middle school and get it pregnant.

I want to rewatch that episode right now, which I'm about to do. And I've already had to pause it and replay more sections than I have with any other show I've watched.

In short, I enjoyed it.

4. May 6, 2010 #4 of 78
    nrrhgreg

nrrhgreg Member

Aug 30, 2003
    Yeah, that might be my favorite episode of any sit-com, ever.

5. May 6, 2010 #5 of 78
    wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Advertisements

I *rarely* rewatch episodes. I saw the naked pool one three times. Are you saying this one is even better (haven't seen it yet, in fact it may be one of my West-coast feed that I don't watch until the next day).

6. May 6, 2010 #6 of 78
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    Classic. Just classic. Couldn't stop laughing.

7. May 6, 2010 #7 of 78
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent. TCF Club

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Don't look now, but Community is making a case for being the best comedy property that NBC has. That was fantastic.

8. May 6, 2010 #8 of 78
    boywaja

boywaja Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2001
    Northern...
    yes, I loved the naked pool episode. But this one was so awesome.

9. May 6, 2010 #9 of 78
    THEROCKER

THEROCKER Member

Nov 9, 2000
    NYC
    Modern Family is getting all the attention this season and I really love that show. But Community is really a funnier show to me. This was yet another home run episode.

10. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah that last three weeks have been amazing to me. I can't recall any sitcom that was so over the good good 3 consecutive weeks.

I really thought when they went back to the spoof again last week they might be over doing it but they weren't. Then they went again and still not too much.

I early on said to myself that this better have a Warrior call out in there somewhere.

The hard thing is how could you describe this show to someone you knew who didn't watch them to convince them it is worth watching. The backdrop and concept is not even important... so telling them it is about a Spanish Study Group at a Community College doesn't do the trick I suspect.

11. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Amazing!

12. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    Awesome episode. I've got some kind of allergy/cold thing going on that dropped into my chest this afternoon, so I've been short of breath on and off tonight. I had to pause a couple of times because I couldn't not laugh, but laughing left me gasping for breath.

13. TeighVaux

TeighVaux New Member

May 30, 2005
    Sacramento, CA
    What a riot! Hubby and I were laughing the whole time. Fresh writing and couldn't wait to see what each new scene would bring.

14. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    What a great episode. I'm glad I decided to give this show a second chance.

15. TIVOSciolist

TIVOSciolist Bye to High Society

Oct 13, 2003
    Oakland,...
    Screw the Ivy League. I want to go to Greendale.

16. Fool Me Twice

Fool Me Twice >>>>>>

Jul 6, 2004
    I was expecting Jeff to wake up from his nap in his car at the end of the episode, it was just so crazy, even for this show!

I wonder if this episode will be more accessible than the Goodfellas spoof. The Warriors reference is obscure (which I suppose makes it that much more satisfying for those that got it), but most people probably got the Die Hard ending and the Matrix wall run, plus action genre conventions in general are more widely understood.

As much as I've enjoyed the spoof episodes, I"m less impressed by them than others seem to be, and I'd rather follow an original story line. Just as the characters were beginning to develop into interesting people, they've been diminished in service of parody. All in all, just a little too much meta bull**** for my taste. I like the spoofs as a diversion, but situational comedy writing is a more difficult craft (streets ahead!), and I'd like it if they gave it another try.

Whatever they do, this remains a show that I find consistently enjoyable, which is a rare thing.

17. Ekims

Ekims Don't care anymore

Oct 18, 2002
    Yeah, bout...
    I am going to have to watch it again to get every movie reference, but I saw;

Scarface
    Matrix
    Die Hard
    The Replacement
    Warriors

What else did we see?

18. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Does anyone know what Annie is shouting when she pops out of the trashcan?

19. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    No, but I had never before in my life wished I was a paintball :D

20. Legion

Legion Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Was the scene in the Deans office from Rambo II?