Community - 10/27/2011 - "Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 15
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Did nobody watch Community last week? I JUST got to it last night and I thought it was the funniest episode of the season. More laugh out loud moments than any sitcom episode on network TV in this one for us. We couldn't stop laughing at Troy's horror tale where they dismantled Chevy Chase's body. Awesome!!

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 15
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Troy and Abed sewn toooo-gether!

3. Nov 2, 2011 #3 of 15
    Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Not too bad of an episode..had a few chuckles.

It's still a very quirky show but overall it's fun to watch (well most episodes are).

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 15
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    My wife and I thought it was so god-awful we didn't even make it through it. First time that has happened with Community for us.

The show has lost a lot of steam. Way, way, way too many boring episodes between the brilliance.

5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 15
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I thought it was a fantastic episode. The only problem with it is that it came on the heels of the alternate timelines one; which was a much better episode.

I especially liked the Annie story of how only she can touch Jeff's heart whereas Britta's attraction is only physical...

6. Nov 2, 2011 #6 of 15
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Fantastic episode. I feel like I say the same thing each week, but this is the most original series on TV (sitcom). Incredibly unique story ideas, executed to perfection. :up:

Yeah, it was kinda weird how it followed another "alternate timeline/reality" episode, but I read that was not the original plan. Episodes got switched around (network?), and it just happened. Not planned.

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 15
    robbhimself

robbhimself Member

Sep 13, 2006
    i loved the alternate timeline episode, but had a hard time getting into this one, the reveal at the end was funny

donald glover was on a local radio station the other day promoting his baby gambino album and gave a teaser for a future episode that he says is his favorite one of the season

8. Nov 2, 2011 #8 of 15
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I laughed at this because I sang it to myself the first time they showed them that way.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 15
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Enjoyed this episode, just as I enjoy all the others. This show is greatness.

10. DreadPirateRob

DreadPirateRob Seriously?

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    It wasn't a network thing, it was a production issue. According to Alan Sepinwall (I think), what actually happened is that the alternate timelines ep ("Remedial Chaos Theory") took a lot longer in editing/post-production than was originally intended, so they swapped it with "Competitive Ecology" (the Change detective noir ep) that was already in the bag. Remedial Chaos Theory was originally supposed to be Ep 3.03, and Competive Ecology was going to be Ep 3.04, but they swapped them. If Remedical Chaos Theory had stayed at 3.03, then there would have been 3 weeks between that and the Halloween ep (due to the planned week off in between 3.04 and 3.05), which would have minimized complaints.

In any event, the two eps weren't *that* similar in theme, although the execution made them seem more similar than they actually were. Both were genius, however.

11. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    I was telling my friend the other day that the highs on Community are just higher than on any other show, because of all the risks they take. They don't always hit, but when they do, it's greatness. As much as I love Parks & Rec, and as consistently funny and brilliant as it is, it's highs aren't as high as that of Community, even though it's far more consistent in its hilarity.

12. pops_porter

pops_porter Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    It's such a unique show! Another good episode.

Loved Abed humming the whole song, because what are the odds him and Brita turn on the radio rigth when the news report comes on about the killer on the loose.

13. Zevida

Zevida witless and unarmed TCF Club

Nov 8, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I did find it interesting that they used the same execution as what they had just done in the alternate reality show.

I actually liked this one better than that because the stories were much more unique. Thealternate realities just felt repetitive, these were more different.

14. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    OTOH, the alternate timelines one showed us how each character contributes to the group. It really was, in my view, a fantastic way of showing us how each person would react if you remove one individual. The subtle and obvious changes really highlighted how the group is really one unit.

This one? did we learn anything new about them?

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to make a slightly different point; albeit doing so in a very inarticulate way :eek:

15. DreadPirateRob

Nov 11, 2002
    SoCal
    Which is why these eps were only similar in execution, but not very similar in theme. In one, essentially a science experiment was conducted showing how the removal of each person from the group would effect how a set of events would play out. In the other, each person in the group told a story from their own perspective. So while they seemed similar, they really were not.