1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CommScope buys Arris

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by PSU_Sudzi, Nov 6, 2018.

1. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    ruh-roh

edit: p.s. Re:

"... a cable TV set-top box maker in Arris, which nearly doubled in size in 2016 after buying rival Pace for $2.1 billion. Set-top boxes make up about 35 percent of Arris's total revenue."

1) Arris has been making TiVo boxes for a while if they acquired Pace.
    2) Countering my initial post, it's tough to imagine a company where 35 percent of revenues comes from set-top boxes altering course on the TiVo deal.

tim1724 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    We live in interesting times. :eek:

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Active Member

Dec 18, 2002
    My take is this is a combination of a wireless infrastructure provider and a cable infrastructure provider. I think we'll see a lot more of this sort of thing. Bring on the TiVo 5G!

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Agreed. But it seems like Arris wants out of that market in the long run as it’s a dying business as people cut cable.

6. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    There are advantages for cable companies migrating to an app, no boxes mean less truck rolls. They don't need boxes to make revenue. The ideal model is they never have to come to your house, humans are expensive. This is separate from cord cutting.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    At some point I fully expect that cable companies will spin off their video service from their wireline service. They will convert their video service to an OTT app that can be marketed anywhere in the US, even markets they don't service. And they'll convert their wireline service to pure internet. They'll use techniques like exclusinsions from bandwidth caps and bundled pricing to make their OTT video service more appealing to those in their wireline service areas. This will also insulate the video business from regulation, since the wireline service will only be a dumb pipe to the internet and not directly connected to the video portion of the service.

tim1724 and PSU_Sudzi like this.
  8. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    If their content providers don't beat them to it. Disney won't need them for starters.

tim1724 likes this.
  9. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i'm working with comcast to resolve several issues that worked for a year until a month ago, then recently stopped working. two involve their connect android app, another is a feature that stopped working yesterday. i reported the first issue, waited a few days, called back for a status update, then something else broke. i waited a few more days, called back, and something else stopped working on top of the first two issues. it just keeps growing, with no end in site. i'm now working with executive relations to resolve these issues.

these are all non-set top box related - i'm thinking comcast should stick with what they know.