Commercials worth stopping for

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by murgatroyd, Aug 12, 2005.

1. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Darryl Waltrip for Toyota Trucks!

"Say, Darryl, what would you have done if you hadn't been a race car driver?"

Hilarious results follow.

Edited to fix typos. Grrr.

Jan

2. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    That Slim Jim inline skater commercial. Just cracks me up when the music is all jamming and you expect this guy to start ripping tricks on the ramp and he just bites it.... bad. So funny.

3. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    $1500 for a leather bustier?

4. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    For some reason, that little gymnast girl in the M-Azing candy bar ad -- where she does these weird contortionistic moves in complete silence -- well, amazes me. Mostly because I know I could never do what she does! :)

5. DrC4

DrC4 Evil Genius

Jul 5, 2005
    Fitchburg, MA
    My all time favorite Geico ad... TINY HOUSE!

When I first saw that ad, I thought for sure that Fox had really run out of ideas, and yet, I couldn't wait to watch it!

Runner up goes to the Speed Racer ad. Mad props to Speed!

6. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    I think the only commercials I stop for are movie previews.

J

7. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I like the USA Network promos for Dead Zone (with Johnny Smith and the cat) and The 4400 (with Maia and her baseball-loving friend, or Maia and her mother at the maternity ward).

8. jwjody

jwjody Not enough room

Dec 7, 2002
    Center of...
    Yeah, I forgot about those. Those are funny!

J

9. BillyT2002

BillyT2002 Crush!Kill!Destroy!

Oct 19, 2002
    Waterville, ME
    There is no commercial worth stopping for. The Johnny and 4400 commercials irritate me because they mess me up and when I see them I think I'm FF over the show. ;)

10. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball New Member

Oct 8, 2002
    Kirkland, WA
    I'll second this! My wife and I *still* stop to watch that ad, even though it's fairly old by now. Just hilarious!

11. tbone526

tbone526 *Clever title here*

Dec 2, 2004
    Chicago
    Dale Jarrett's UPS commercials. Especially the latest one after the truck was modified with "a couple spare engines they had laying around".

12. Crrink

Crrink Active Member

Sep 2, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm embarrassed to admit having the very same thoughts :D

13. keirgrey

keirgrey Old Man Vicious

Nov 20, 2001
    New Jersey
    The telephone commercial with the guy watching the striptease on the cell phone.

"Your wife called."
    :D

14. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    You Can Do IIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

15. EchoBravo

EchoBravo TV-MA LSV

Apr 20, 2002
    PHX, AZ
    Looks like if there's an award to be taken, Geico's running away with it. I love the Geico "Caveman" spots. If you've seen them, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't...

Voiceover: "Using Geico.com is so easy, even a caveman could do it."

Cut to cavemen in a sophisticated, modern house. One says "That's so condescending."

There's a follow-up spot where the Geico spokesman has taken the cavemen to a nice restaurant. He's apologizing, saying he didn't know "you guys" (the cavemen) were still around. The waiter then comes. One orders some upmarket dish. The other just sits back in his chair, disgusted, and quips that he's lost his appetite.

Who comes up with this stuff? I still laugh every single time I see that spot... Which is a lot during SpikeTV's weekday 5 hour afternoon Trek block.

16. seinman

seinman New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Chicago
    I kept wishing they'd actually make that show. I think it's the only reality TV i'd watch.

The only ads I stop for now are the horribly produced low-budget local spots for lawyers or "pimp rim" shops. Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley has "big brass balls" (balls beeped out, of course) and he'll sue the crap out of you. And "YOU GETTIN' SPINNAZ FOR CHRISTMAS DOWN AT HOT WHEELZ!" These commercials crack me up.

17. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    While I'm not normally attracted to skinny girls, (sorry, skinny Ladies), I am, oddly enough, intrigued by beautiful women in their underwear. So, I tend to hit the brakes when I pass over one of the new "Victoria's Secrets" spots.

Go figure. :)

Bob

18. Tangent

Tangent Aluminum Falcon?!

Feb 25, 2005
    San Jacinto, CA
    The Toyota / Indy car / Back To the Future ads are pretty funny.

19. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I thought "Tiny House" was so good I did a vidcap of it so I can watch it whenever I want. Great stuff. I agree with the earlier comment(s) that someone should actually make that show. I would be all over that. Have to disagree on the other Geico ads, though -- I don't like any of them.

20. Chapper1

Chapper1 Broncos Faithful

Jan 1, 2004
    Appleton, WI
    "Tiny House" is one of the best commercials in a long time. When I first saw it, I was ready to do a search on my TiVo to find out when it was on...

I also like the Lee Iacocca/Snoop Dogg Chrysler commercial