Commercials before playing?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by genebopp, Apr 10, 2020.

1. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It seems that every time I pick a show that is on my bolt, it takes a few seconds to start. I just figured out that it is not a coincidence that runs a commercial before my recorded show starts. Clicking the jumps ahead 30 sec button does start the recorded show immediately, but this really annoys me.

2. pfiagra

pfiagra Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2014
    FIX: Removing Ads Before Watching a Recorded Event

3. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    thanks. I didnt know it was a thing.

4. hughgotit

hughgotit New Member

Apr 10, 2020
    These new commercials really suck. I try to control what I watch and listen to and this delays the start of the show with unwanted and objectionable content. This is not what I signed on for. We are all paying a premium price to have a TiVo, especially with unlimited service. THESE COMMERCIALS MUST STOP !!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Rose4uKY likes this.
  5. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    So we are getting a bolt this weekend and I was reading about the commercial ads. Someone said to call Tivo and tell them you want them turned off can you not do that? I guess being able to do the 30 second skip is better than nothing but we're going to hate having ads. We have a Roamio Plus now.

6. genebopp

genebopp Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I emailed them a couple of months ago. They turned them the pre-roll BS off, now it is back. I emailed them again and have not heard back. I did buy and return the stream4k, so my account was "touched" I dont know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Rose4uKY likes this.
  7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    They've just screwed up (and the pre-roll ads sometimes return after a software upgrade). Just call TiVo and request, again, that the pre-roll ads be turned off. I've never read, here, of TiVo not honoring the request.

Rose4uKY likes this.
  8. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I just told my husband about them he said if they don't turn them off it's going back. Our Bolt should be here this afternoon.

9. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    That shouldn't be an issue. And remember: if you don't like the TE4 user interface, you always can sidegrade back to the TE3 UI--and TE3 doesn't have the ads to begin with.*

* Keep in mind, as someone else pointed out, that if you go back to TE3 from TE4, you lose the recordings then on your TiVo box in the process. And so, transfer any recordings that you want to save to your PC first (and then back again after), and/or move back to TE3 as early as possible so as only to affect limited recordings. (Easy-to-use freeware software to transfer shows to/from your TiVo box: pyTivo Desktop, developed by one of the moderators here -- pyTivo Desktop. There's also a very long thread about it here -- Easier to use pyTivo.)

Rose4uKY likes this.
  10. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks! We will try TE4 and we hope to just keep it! I mean it goes with the newer box and he said he didn't really care about the voice but he said he will try it and may like it and use it. I guess we'll wait and see. Thanks Everyone!

Mikeguy likes this.