Commercial Skip

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by spectra57, Oct 23, 2008.

1. spectra57

spectra57 New Member

Oct 8, 2008

Advertisements

How do you "program" the remote to skip through commercials? And what is the difference between "slip" and "skip"? :confused:

Thanks!

2. ruinah

ruinah New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    if you're talking the 30-second skip there are a bunch of threads on that. Select/Play/Select/30/Select.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Once you enter Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select while playing a recording or viewing a time-delayed program, the -> button on the remote will skip forward 30 seconds.

"Slip" is the term used for the advertiser-friendly version of 30sec skip used on some competing DVRs. Basically, when you press the slip button, the DVR fast forwards through 30secs very fast, so you still see the commercials. TiVo's 30sec skip is instant, so you press it 6 times fast and you will skip three minutes instantly. Most commercial breaks are 2-3 minutes. If you overshoot, there is always the replay button.

You won't find an automatic commercial advance on any retail DVR product. Commercial advance automatically skipped all commercials without requiring you to do anything. ReplayTV offered that feature some years ago and they were sued out of existence by the networks.

4. spectra57

spectra57 New Member

Oct 8, 2008

Great, Thank you! :)

5. mindchaotica

mindchaotica TiVo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Salt Lake City

Advertisements

learning something new all the time. that is an awesome tip.

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also "time-slip" is the name that some (or just Toshiba?) other DVRs use for the "mode" of viewing earlier in the show currently being recorded. It's a mode, because you have to hit a button on the remote, then FF/rewind to where you want to go.. not simply 'rewind' from live TV. I think this is so they don't conflict with Tivo's patents.

7. rmstone

rmstone New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    This is a GREAT tip. Are there any others like it?

8. Kablemodem

Kablemodem Get the ketchup.

May 26, 2001
    Sherman...
  9. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
  10. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    Heh..."Fringe will return after 3 button presses":)

11. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    I have suddenly lost my 30 second commercial skip on my Series 3. It worked last night but now when I press that "skip ahead" button it goes to the end of the recording.

Sel-Play-Sel-30-Sel

I have attempted to re-program the tivo but it does not seem to take. Any clues?

And, yes I know this is an old thread but rather than create a new one....

Thanks in advance.

12. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    You have to do it while you're watching a recording, otherwise it's misinterpreted.

13. fred2

fred2 Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Thanks for the reply - I was doing it during play but it was not over-riding the normal function.

I had to reboot the Tivo (pain!) but after that, the sequence worked to reprogram that button.

The worst part was I had forgotten how that button normally functioned (it has been years) - going to BEGIN/END. So I thought something was wrong with 3 recordings until I figured out the sequence was gone.