Commercial skip stopped working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rutte32506, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Rutte32506

Rutte32506 New Member

Apr 25, 2017

Advertisements

I have a Tivo Roamio OTA with Lifetime service and my commercial skip seems to not be working. It just started within the last week. The shows have the green Skip symbol on them but when I watch the show it does not display the "Press... to skip" line when the commercials start and the "ch up" does not cause it to skip.
    This has never happened before.
    Any idea what's going on?

Thanks

2. Rob772

Rob772 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Same here except I have a bolt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    How is the connection between your box and your Internet network? I've found that can affect matters.

4. Rutte32506

Rutte32506 New Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Box to internet connection works fine. I'm not sure how that affects the ability for the commercial skips to be put into the program but anyway, they are talking to each other fine. When fast forwarding to pass commercials I can see the white marks in the program where the commercials are.

5. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA

Advertisements

Are the closed captions OK on those shows since SkipMode keys off of the closed captions? Also, you might try a reboot although probably unlikely to resolve this issue.

What do you mean you see the white marks where the commercials are when fast forwarding? Do you mean the white ticks in the progress bar? Those aren't where commercials are but are just easy ways to move forward in the program quickly (skip to tick).

Scott

ClearToLand likes this.
  6. Rob772

Rob772 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    I have multiple saved one pass recordings where "new" & "skip" show but skip doesn't work. The same program (saved from different date) skip functions perfectly. Seems most not working are recorded 4/18 & 4/19 (so far). Network doesn't seem to matter as happened on CBS & ABC.

7. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The skips points are communicated through the Internet--if there's a poor connection, it may not be possible for the info. to be downloaded. Fortunately, that's at least one cause eliminated here.

8. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Not only the OP's connection, but there could be an issue at TiVo servers.

9. Rob772

Rob772 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Did you ever get an answer or solution?

10. Rutte32506

Rutte32506 New Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Ok after some further troubleshooting it only seems to happen with shows from The CW.
    ABC, NBC, CBS, and the others seem to be ok as far as I can tell.

11. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Perhaps TiVo's "skip recorder" employee for The CW has been on vacation. ;)

JoeKustra likes this.
  12. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    do you see "to be announced" when you press the button?

13. Rutte32506

Rutte32506 New Member

Apr 25, 2017
    "The button"? I do not see anything when I press the Ch UP button. The timeline for the show comes up but nothing happens.

14. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    isn't "channel up" a button?

seriously, it was a very shallow attempt at humor, comparing your issue to the guide update issues premiere and other users are having right now (mine not included, thankfully).

sorry, didn't mean to disrupt your thread or make light of the issue you're having with cw and skip.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  15. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    If you have recordings that say "SKIP" but then don't SKIP, please email margret@tivo.com with the subject "SKIP broken" and the following info:
    1. Your TSN
    2. Your Zip Code and Cable Company
    3. A list of a half-dozen shows that have the SKIP icon, but don't actually SKIP when you press D or CHAN UP. (Show name, Network/Channel info, Recording Date)

If your box has stopped getting any new recordings marked SKIP within the last week, please email margret@tivo.com with the subject "SKIP missing" and the following info:
    1. Your TSN
    2. Your Zip Code and Cable Company
    3. The date of the newest recording that DOES have SKIP.

HerronScott, ClearToLand and mrizzo80 like this.
  16. Rutte32506

Rutte32506 New Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Thank you I will do that.

17. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    So very nice to see you back! :kissingcat: Never used that smilie before, but you're young and cute and I'm old and tired... ;)

Are you also aware of the "FAILED: TCP Port 37" problem?

If not, I can either provide you with LINKs to your E-Mail, or you can SEARCH here yourself. I believe @JoeKustra is the 'Point Person' on the topic FYI...

18. Rob772

Rob772 Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Seems like quite a few are experiencing skip failure Sent Margret list of many programs I've had problems with. I'm hooked up OTA so it's not only happening with cable providers