Commercial removal and then reupload to my tivo roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by falcon999, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sep 4, 2017 #1 of 16
    falcon999

falcon999 New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    I have been searching for the better part of an hour, so if there is a easy answer to this, please let me know. I enjoy watching shows on the tv that my tivo is connected to, so is this possible.

1. Download Shows from my tivo to my pc.
    I know we can do this..
    2. remove commercials from the downloaded file.
    pretty sure I can easily do this as well, actually have an old comskip key when I used to use mce back in the day.
    3. reupload the file containing the captions back to my tivo so that I can watch the shows on my tivo but now with the commercials removed. I don't want to want it on my laptop, I mean yes that's fine but mostly I want to watch these shows on my tivo.

I have looked for a guide that does this, and no luck.

TL:DR read number 3 is that possible? can i reupload to my tivo roamio files after I have removed the commercials...

2. Sep 4, 2017 #2 of 16
    lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    You can download them to your TiVo from your PC using pyTivo.

There is an easier to install and use version called pyTivo Desktop.

3. Sep 4, 2017 #3 of 16
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Pytivo will allow them to be sent back to the Tivo too. I believe, keeping the captions is the difficult part.

several ways to edit the commercials out. Personally I use VideRedo.

4. Sep 4, 2017 #4 of 16
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's what I said. Why do you think "Keeping the captions is the difficult part."? The problem with captions is that PS downloads from the TiVo to the PC tend to garble the captions while TS downloads can sometimes introduce "glitches" in the recording, requiring multiple downloads to get an error free recording.

As do I.

5. Sep 4, 2017 #5 of 16
    falcon999

falcon999 New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    So if I want to have my pc running all the time, and automatically downloading everything, and removing the commercials and then reuploading is possible?

awesome, thats' exactly what I had with my old media center pc that I set up with comskip, now that tivo allows skipping some of the commercials I really like it but it's not on everything.

6. Sep 4, 2017 #6 of 16
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    It is not possible to fully automate the process as TiVo disabled the ability to have the PC initiate the transfer to the TiVo, known as a "Push", more than a year ago. The transfer to the TiVo must be initiated from the TiVo. This is known as a "Pull". Even if Push still worked, automatic commercial detection and removal is a bit iffy.

7. Sep 4, 2017 #7 of 16
    falcon999

falcon999 New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    ahh crap, oh well. guess i'll wait a few years and maybe they will add it back, apparently i've been a member on here for 13 years, so I guess I can be patient. :)

8. Sep 4, 2017 #8 of 16
    lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Why is it a problem to leave something on the PC until you are ready to watch it, then pulling it back at that point? Or queuing up a bunch of transfers? Automatically sending them back would sorta defeat the purpose of transferring them to the PC in the first place - freeing up space on the TiVo.

Extremely unlikely that Push will ever be re-enabled.

Mikeguy likes this.
  9. Sep 4, 2017 #9 of 16
    osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Sorry I read it as download from tivo instead of download to tivo.

as for the other . YES I would call it difficult as PS ruins them and TS is a pain in the ass to get a glitch free copy. I have other things to do than wait for 10, 20, 30 tries to get a glitch free TS copy. Yes I know Dan has automated that process in his pytivo desktop. I just want it transferred so I can edit it and move on to other work. It really doesn't matter to me as I don't need the captions anyway, just trying to help someone out.

10. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    KMTTG can auto-download shows.

Its not 100% accurate to detect commercials to get them removed. VideoReDo is the best program but its only for Windows. The ad detective within VideoReDo is excellent in detecting, but its not 100%, because sometimes station could cut into commercials suddenly instead of having a 2 second black screen.

Sending shows back to Tivo is not automatic and must be initiated from the Tivo only. This, we call Pull.

What we call Push is transfer shows by initiated on the PC. This feature is broken since a few updates ago.

11. falcon999

falcon999 New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    i don't have a space issue on the tivo, it was solely a way to remove all of the commercials especially for many shows, mostly for my kids shows commercials but also for quite a few of my shows as well. I already have a pc running windows 10 all the time running plex as well as my home server, it was be easy to add another vm for this but I really want to set it up to be all automatic. I don't mind purchasing videoredo or anything else required, but i don't want to have to do anything at all on my end.

sorry I was imprecise before, i want to download to pc from tivo and remove commercials and then reupload to the tivo at the end of the process. after a 1000 for a tivo with lifetime and 10 tivo mini's with lifetime, actually purchased lifetime on 6 of them before they threw it in, so cost on this would be minimal

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It would be best to store the shows on a hard drive, decrypted. When you want to watch those shows, just get them transferred back to the Tivo to watch. Should the Tivo have any issues, hard drive, power, etc. you would then lose those shows unless they are still on a hard drive, such as a NAS.

I have most of my shows, recorded by Tivo, or ripped off DVDs, stored on a NAS drive. I can watch them on a tablet, phone, or even Tivo. Even DVDs I get from Netflix, I rip to place on my NAS. Currently, my DVD Player has not been used for several years, and limited to watching only on this TV.

Having the shows on the Tivo is only limited to that TV or to a Mini/another Tivo attached TV.

13. falcon999

falcon999 New Member

Jan 13, 2004
    The problem would be with the kids and wife. My kids are 4 and 6 and can figure out the tivo, but no way would I even want them on the computer... I don't really save tv shows. I used to, but now I just wait and then pretty much everything is on netflix that i care to watch and I never usually watch anything twice.

also when i was transferring before it wasn't that fast to download, i would assume upload is not much faster. I have gigabit in the house, but i don't think the transfer was that fast.

14. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, pulling back had slowed down more than getting it off the Tivo. Mostly CPU hindered.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    What model TiVo do you have? Even with the older S3, we were able to transfer from our home server faster than real time and the Roamio that replaced the S3 is many times faster at network transfers.

Scott

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The kids wouldn't be "on the computer".