Commander in Chief 1/24

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by omnibus, Jan 25, 2006.

1. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Did anybody see a seatbelt in Air Force One?

I don't think the interior living quarters and press/staff facilities of the plane are classified. It just looked like the producers took the cheap way out.

Also the teenager's having a party in the white house and especially the stealing the Gettysburg address part. Come on already.

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    What, you don't like the direction the esteemed Steven Bochco is going in? :)

I enjoyed seeing the kids invite some friends over. Yeah, the little brat hiding the Gettysburg Address was a bit much, especially as we see them locking it back in the case at the end -- why wasn't it locked before? And then there's simply the inevitable lecture she had to have gotten about such things when they moved in.

I'd guess the intent somehow was to have each group have gone through something traumatic without the other knowing. But that seems rather weak.

3. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    All that stuff didn't really bother me...what bothered me was when the president hung up on the guy in the truck on the cell phone and we heard a dial tone: Cell phones don't have dial tones!

You would think that the people who write/work on the show spend enough time on cell phones so that they'd realize that...

4. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Was that a cell phone or just a wireless phone?

5. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    American Idol cleaned CiC's clock. A second season (on a different night) is almost a certainty, but I wouldn't be making those reelection plans just yet :)

With the "West Wing" writers out of jobs this summer, I hope some of them move over to this show.

6. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    You mean a wireless phone like you have in your house? Where would it be plugged in?

Besides, they referred to the guy as having a cell phone several times.

7. skanter

skanter New Member

May 27, 2003
    New York City
    CIC had a good start, but is becoming predictable and trite. It seems every week ends with POTUS Geena Davis pulling off some great achievement and everyone congratulating her. And her kids are idiots.

Comparisons to West Wing leave CIC looking somewhat ridiculous...

:thumbsdown:

8. alpacaboy

alpacaboy Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Have you seen any distinct style or tone change between the Lurie and the Bochco regime? I only watch CiC (You know I'm referring to "Commander in Chief," not "Charles in Charge," right?) occasionally, but nothing jumped out at me as glaring.

I really didn't know who Lurie was, but I was looking through my DVD collection recently and picked up "The Contender" and realized "Heyyyyy... I really liked the writing in that."

9. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I've always thought comparing it *to* West Wing was somewhat ridiculous. The West Wing is about the Presidency. CIC is about being the President. If was was more like the West Wing there'd be no point in having a separate show.

10. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    I loved having the kids over because it was so anti authoriarian. 10pts for the kids finally getting to do something normal. I'm actually surprised the nanny let the kids drink. She obviously saw the beer. As far as the lock for the G-address, i'm betting the little kid can sneak around at will and everyone ignores her so she probably saw where it was hidden.

I'm glad they explained how the fuel truck guy got to the plane. Stuff like that bugs me and they did a good job authenticating him. I still think there would be some military around the plane at all times though right? I didn't see one on any shot of the plane at all. It was nice to see the prez give the order contrary to the thoughts of the SoH. I guess grandma is the official cook of the whitehouse now? The people in the kitchen must be bored stiff.

Can someone tell me how they got the exterior plane shots where they couldn't use stock footage of the real plane? they never showed the prez entering/leaving but was it just a green screen trick with the truck there? Or was stock footage used at all and this was all some trick? I just am curious about stuff like that.

11. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    Well, Lurie really only had a couple of episodes :)

The main differences seem to be:

(a) The moustache twirling has been dialed down.
    (b) The balance between presidency/family has cranked toward the presidency.
    (c) Less "drama" with the kids.
    (d) The speaker's wife (and her illness), the mother, and the CREEP character.

...a mean person would also mention the percipitous drop in ratings.

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The whole thing between the First Gentleman and Ever also seemed to disappear pretty suddenly...

13. skanter

skanter New Member

May 27, 2003
    New York City
    IMHO, both shows are about the presidency. WW is articulate and intelligent, CIC is cliched and predictable.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    That's of course just your opinion.

How about CiC is interesting and WW is boring? That's another opinion.

15. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I don't know about that. West Wing is pretty predictable too... and many of the storylines aren't exactly unique or new to Hollywood.

What I always liked about West Wing is that it seems to do a much better job of showing the office of the President as one filled with a lot of activity by a lot of people all in a pretty well defined structure all supporting the President who ultimately makes certain decisions. Most other shows, including those with minor roles for the President, make it appear like the President is isolated from everything and only ever speaks to one or two people and other than that, they only reach out to people in other departments well away from the White House. For example, look how 24 portrays the Presidential entourage.

16. skanter

skanter New Member

May 27, 2003
    New York City
    Seems to me that WW portrays the White House, for the most part, in a believable manner. CIC is more like a cartoon character version. It seems like the CIC writers have gone overboard in trying to make Davis' character so STRONG that she is not believable reacting to the numerous crises she finds herself in. I started out liking the show, have now taken it off my SP.

Just my opininon, folks. Fans of CIC, don't take offense. And, I'll probably vote for Hillary! ;)

17. skanter

skanter New Member

May 27, 2003
    New York City
    Seems to have won a s**tload of Emmys for such a boring show...
    ;)

18. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I hadn't realized that the Emmy was a prize for being interesting...

19. JustAllie

JustAllie Number crunchin'

Jan 4, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    I spent half of the episode trying to figure out what kind of "health insurance" the Department of Veterans Affairs had supposedly canceled for the bomber's wife. Only in rare cases does VA provide medical benefits for the family members of veterans. If the "VA health insurance" that the bomber's wife supposed to have lost was CHAMPVA coverage, then the bomber at one point must have been had a service-connected disability that "permanently and totally" disabling (i.e., 100%). There does not appear to be any provision for losing this coverage if the veteran somehow gets better, because the coverage is only offered when this is not considered possible. This week's episode only said that the bomber used to have a disability rated "50 percent or higher" that was reduced to 30%.

20. DaveBogart

DaveBogart Active Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Golden,...
    Whether CiC is good, bad, predictable or not, I watch it for Geena Davis. I'll watch anything she's in.