Commander in Chief 1-17-06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by newsposter, Jan 20, 2006.

1. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    3 days and no thread oh my.

I loved this because it was so 'Bartlett like.' Wonderful action, strategy and twist to keep you interested. Of course we have to stop for family time but since it's a female prez i can understand that. And it's now apparent why they have the kitchen in the residence. Just like I said, grandma has to have something to do.

cookies every day after school? Kid must have lots of cavities and have been a bit tubby. Great bribe to get a kid to come home though. I guess the daughter will come around and work on the campaign based on what we saw of her.

Love how zak gave the press girl a big ole wet one. She almost didn't seem to mind.

best line "NO running in the halls". That was very funny until he realized it was a joke. And I agree good thing templton wasn't prez or we would be in war now.

2. Trebor1

Trebor1 New Member

Apr 29, 2004
    So who do you think leaked the sub situation to NK?

It seemed it was exactly what Zak wanted for a campagne.....

Templeton sure liked all the attention and being in the loop for a second time.....

3. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    It was very evidently the chinese as their guy even said he can't control all factions of their governement. If it wasn't them, I think he would have called us a liar.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Obviously, it was the mole at CTU who spilled the beans. :D

5. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've read that this show is losing its steam. I don't see that. I'm really enjoying it.

6. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Don't see how somebody can assess it as losing steam. It's been off the air since end of November. This was only the second episode (two parter at that) since returning to the air. And only the 11th episode overall.

7. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    I thought it was awful. No real sense of drama around the sub, bringing the Speaker into the story (oh, yeah, he's golfing buddies with the ambassador) was contrived, and the nuclear posturing was a snooze.

The story looked weaker in comparison to the Asia storyline going on over in "West Wing".

8. canoebuildah

canoebuildah Earthmonster

Apr 15, 2004
    Lakes...
    The premise is unrealistic; the US Navy with has sumbersibles that can rescue submariners from any nations sub. The US Air Force has C-5's that can transport said submersibles anywhere in the world on short notice. I can't see anyway that the US would turn to China for assistance like it was proposed in this story line.

CIC pales in comparison to the West Wing. Especially in the early days. I haven't seen any good writing in these 11 first episodes that comes close the the writing and acting in the WW pilot.

Chris

9. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Well, cargo planes usually have to get permission to fly through airspace of non-allied countries or countries we're allies of but don't have an airspace agreement with. A flight around the world takes a long time; especially when it's not as the crow flys. And if the submersibles are already deployed in some other ocean or at some naval base that's more for research/training and thus isn't near an air strip, then it's going to take a while to get them on to a cargo plane, let alone actually move them.

What bothered me more was just how quickly things escalated to a near war with nukes. I know many consider NK's Kim Jong to be pretty much "certifiable", but geez.

10. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    What non-allied space are we talking? They leave the west coast, they fly to Japan they unload? A C-5 flies at about 500 knts. So by definition with refueling, it can reach ANYWHERE in the world in less than 24 hours. Much less time than they were discussing. Stupid but not as dumb as the idea for next week which is dumber still.

Reality wise, this is just as accurate about defense as "E-ring" with the no account Maj and col who I can guarantee you would not have an office anywhere near the E-ring.

CiC needs to wise up and get some accuracy or it will join E-Ring in the land of cancelled SP's!

11. newsposter

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    nah...some people like me who aren't aware of the speed of planes and capabilities dont mind a non 100% authentic show. :)

12. Kingfish

Kingfish "Every man a king"

Dec 14, 2005
    Did you see our stunning 50 year old president at the Golden Globe awards? I hope she gets reelected. :D

[​IMG]

13. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    I'm rapidly losing patience with CiC, but it's on Mrs. S.'s keeper list, so that's that.
    AFAIAC, the mother and the younger daughter need to be eliminated.

I know WW, I have an SP for it, and CiC, you ain't no WW.

14. Jeeters

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    The post I was replying to was about submersibles anywhere in the world and did not assume they were on the west coast.

15. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Either way you fly, there just are not many places we can't get to pretty quickly. Most countries that have overflight rules only use them for limiting combat (eg when we bombed Libya) and not for humanitarian reasons. On a long flight, even those few are pretty easy to avoid. YMMV, just my opinion. I was just commenting on the scenario which I think was stupid and not well thought out like so much TV stuff. Accuracy too often gives way to expedient plot points even it if detracts from the story by being sooooo obvious.

16. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I think you're forgetting the part where they originally didn't want to attract North Korea's attention, which is why some choices were originally made.

17. canoebuildah

Apr 15, 2004
    Lakes...
    A quick Google search resulted in this submersible:

And that is what is available on Google. What other submersibles have been designed and operational with our tax money?

Chris

18. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Hmmm... this is 2006. :)

19. canoebuildah

Apr 15, 2004
    Lakes...
    I am sure that the US Navy posts their newest technology on Google as soon as it becomes available to them. :)

Chris