Coming soon (July 26, 2019 premiere) to Amazon Prime The Boys

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by terpfan1980, Jun 30, 2019.

1. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    The Boys (TV Series 2019ā€“ ) - IMDb

I got to see a preview of this from Amazon where I was asked if this looked like something that I would be interested in or if I thought others would be interested in watching it in the future. I found myself engrossed in the first episode, and really would have liked to have seen more immediately.

I had almost forgotten about it, but then today as part of the Noovie presentation at the AMC theater where I was going to watch Yesterday, I got to hear (as I was walking in) Maria Menonous talking about seeing the new series that will soon be on Amazon: The Boys.

I had previously told a couple of my comic book loving co-workers that I thought they'd love it (I couldn't say much more at the time, but was able to say that it would be something I thought they would like). Having seen / heard the mention today, I dug up the info at IMDB as to when it premieres: July 26, 2019.

Looking forward to the episodes. 8 episodes in series 1.

My comic book loving friends, at least one of them, noted that they were aware of the source material previously and thought it might be pretty good, but wondered if it Amazon would stay fairly true to the source material which was pretty graphic/coarse. From what I recall (it has been a little while since I got to see the pilot/preview), I don't think my friend has anything to worry about as I think this will be plenty graphic/coarse, but not gratuitously so.

Read the description at IMDB if you don't know about the show/series/comics at all. If you like superheroes, including very flawed superheroes, then you may find this one very enjoyable.

2. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
  3. Jul 1, 2019 #3 of 42
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Does any make a new series not based on a comic book anymore?:) I'll probably give this a watch at some point this summer. Thanks for the tip

zalusky likes this.
  4. Jul 2, 2019 #4 of 42
    Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Looks like a Watchmen knockoff at first glance.

6. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It's not really much like Watchmen.

IMO.

7. Odds Bodkins

Odds Bodkins Doug's Dad

Jun 7, 2006
    Not even close.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Unfortunately not

SoupMan likes this.
  9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    As much as I appreciate adult version of a lot of comics I find I am getting turned off lately by the gratuitous CGI of a lot of these shows with the slow mow characters floating through the air during battle clashes.
    I liked Jessica Jones a lot because it was more about the people and mind games vs traditional comic books lets fight and smash up buildings.

Howie, SoupMan and osu1991 like this.
  10. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    There is a vast treasure trove of stories in the huge library of graphic novels that are an untapped resource for Hollywood, many of which are extremely well written and thought out. It was just a matter of time before Hollywood recognized this fact and realized that there is an audience just waiting for them to be portrayed on the big screen. Marvel has found the right formula for making the transition whereas DC is finally getting there. I grew up with all of these comics as a kid and seeing them finally done right just puts a smile on my face every time. They may not all be cinematic masterpieces, but they sure are fun and entertaining.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I liked this. I don't like that they left it on a bit of a cliffhanger though. I prefer shows that finish up the main story arc in a single season.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Exactly this. I guess you can't blame them when you look at the money these comic book movies / series make.

I agree about Jessica. To me it was much more film noir than comic book.

13. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    I watched the first two episodes last night and thought the show was excellent. I'm very excited to watch more.

14. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Please remember this is not a spoilers thread.

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sorry. Didnā€™t think saying that they leave it on a bit of a cliffhanger was a spoiler.

jeetkunedo and osu1991 like this.
  16. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I just watched the first episode of this last night. It's an interesting twist on the superhero genre in that the heroes aren't actually heroes. It took me a while to recognize Homelander as Antony Starr who was the main character in Banshee.

17. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Liked this a lot.

18. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Just finished tonight. Loved it.

When will they get the rest of The Star Trek cast there? Maybe Spock to reprise Sylar.

19. MizzouJames

MizzouJames Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    What Star Trek cast is in this show?

20. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    McCoy (Karl Urban) and Scotty (Simon Pegg plays Hughie's dad).