Coming back to Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by probichaux, Sep 13, 2016.

1. probichaux

probichaux New Member

Jun 21, 2007

Advertisements

I had the first Philips unit in the state of Alabama way back in 1999, then a Sony, then a variety of other units (including DirecTVs and even a Humax). After several moves, provider changes, and periods away from TV, yesterday I got back on my local cable provider's system, using their bundled DVR... and it's so awful I would rather punch myself in the eye than use it. Clearly it's time for me to come back to TiVo.

My environment: only 2 TVs, with only 1 person watching at a time. Heavy user of Netflix and AppleTV. I think a Bolt will probably do what I need done, so my first instinct is to buy one from the outlet store. Any reason to wait for whatever they're going to intro at CES?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  3. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    It sounds like a Bolt and a Mini should work fine for you. And for what it's worth, I haven't had any problems with the new guide data.

4. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Just making sure you know there is a 6-tuner 3 tb Bolt Plus coming up in two days.

Current Bolt (for sale on Outlet Store) has 4 tuners and either 500 gb or 1 tb

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Right, the BOLT+ to be "unveiled" at CES has already been unveiled. And whether you'd want to wait until the 15th for the BOLT+ comes downto whether you're TV signal is OTA antenna or cable; and, if using cable TV, how many tuners and how much storage space you'd want. (If OTA, original BOLT is your only choice in the series; if cable, you can choose b/w 1TB/4 tuner and 3TB/6 tuner BOLT models -- or a 3TB/6 tuner Roamio Pro.)

6. thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    He/she already said it will be Cable, so the below would apply:

There is no much difference between Roamio Pro and Bolt +, but simply based on the product line / generation, if I were to start from scratch, I would get Bolt.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes, I saw that, but given that they're in a transition and stated heavy use of Netflix and Apple TV, I didn't figure adding a few characters to include the OTA antenna aspect would hurt. That is, they're cable now (and so the Roamio OTA is moot), but only one of the currently available CableCARD-capable DVRs would allow them a fallback to OTA.

8. mlcarson

mlcarson Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Lompoc,CA
    It's hard to recommend anything Tivo at the moment. You have lots of Rovi guide issues showing up - generic episode data, "To be announced", <Network> programming, missing channels, etc that impair the base functionality of the product. There's also a new UI - Tivo UX that's been announced that is kind of an unknown factor that changes the Tivo look/feel. I'd wait at least a month and see what people are reporting on this forum.