Coming back to Tivo, need some advice

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Hostage46, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1 of 34
    Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Aug 12, 2005

Advertisements

So back in the day, I had Tivo on Direct TV. Loved it (Tivo not DTV). Then the crew with a ditch witch showed up and laid that fiber, I dropped DTV like a hot rock and made the switch. I've missed my Tivo ever since, I really don't like the Motorola DVR, a real piece of junk.

Today I came across an add for the new Tivo Premier, did a little reading, and lo and behold, it looks to me like I can have my Tivo and Fios.

Based on what I've been reading this afternoon, it' looks like all I need is a cable card for each Tivo box. Nothing would make me happier then to return those Fios boxes.

So the question is, which Tivo's do I go with? I have 47" LCD in the family room and a 36" in the bedroom.

The Premier looks pretty cool but I really don't care about the multi media stuff, you tube, and music, no thanks.... I'm looking for the latest Tivo experience on the two TV's

What do you recommend?
    Dan in Dallas...

2. Apr 8, 2010 #2 of 34
    Karl Childers

Karl Childers New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    A...
    Even though, at the moment, you think you really don't care too much about the multi-media stuff, but once you experience the full impact of the Premiere's ability to find a certain program/movie--whether it be available on OTA, cable, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, etc.--in a SINGLE program search, PLUS be able to access it DIRECTLY through the Premiere's remote, you might just start accessing the multi-media programming a bit more often. Besides, having the ability to see live TV while browsing the menus is something you cannot get with any other TiVo other than the Premiere and Premiere XL.

I MOST DEFINITELY would recommend the Premiere . . . especially when you consider that for about the same price of the TiVo HD (when new ones were abundantly available on the market) the Series 4 Premiere has over 2 times the recording capacity with many more features and a faster processor.

However, that's just my opinion and recommendation. I hope it helps. . . .

3. Apr 8, 2010 #3 of 34
    cowboydren

cowboydren New Member

Oct 6, 2009
    There is no "latest TiVo experience" without a Premiere, and there won't be. There's no good reason to settle for an HD or an HDXL. I find it funny that you've been putting up with Verizon-provided DVRs for as long as you have; if you could get S-cards from your Verizon office, an "old" TiVo S2 would have worked just fine. :)

4. Apr 8, 2010 #4 of 34
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    The Premiere and Premiere XL are the only current offerings from TiVo. All other models are considered discontinued, and if you can find any brand new it's because they are leftover stock.

Your choices between the two are basically whether you want the Glo Remote (can be purchases separately), extra hard drive space (which you can do yourself, if you are willing to void the relatively short warranty), and the THX certification (which many find to not necessarily be worth the extra money).

Now one considerable disadvantage of the Premiere and Premiere XL is the one CableCard slot, vs two slots for the older models. This will require that you get a multi-stream CableCard (M-Card) so make sure it is available from FiOS in your area.

5. Apr 8, 2010 #5 of 34
    RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...

Advertisements

FYP.

6. Apr 8, 2010 #6 of 34
    rxrepli

rxrepli New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Compared to the FiOS provided Motorola DVR, any TiVo model you choose will make you happy.

7. Apr 8, 2010 #7 of 34
    Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Ah this helps... I didn't realize the others were no longer available.

A few questions;
    I presume I can operate a mix of Verzion set top boxes and Tivo?
    On the Tivo, will I lose access to any Fios programming?
    With two Tivo's, are the boxes networked, ie, can I watch programing on different TV's?

8. Apr 8, 2010 #8 of 34
    Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Funny, really? Have you ever dealt with Verizon? I'm still skeptical, but hopeful, the that this will work.

9. Apr 8, 2010 #9 of 34
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    he means that any cable card enabled DVR, like Moxi, would have worked on FIOS all along and you could have ditched the Verixon box long ago.

10. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Yes.

You won't be able to access any On Demand programs at all, but between Amazon, Netflix, and Blockbuster you should be able to find a good substitute for most if not all their On Demand programming. You won't be able to order Pay Per View using a remote; I don't know if Verizon will let you order it by phone like many traditional cable TV providers.

If you plan on keeping Verizon's STB's as well, you won't lose a thing.

Yes, as long as the programs are not copy-protected. AFAIK this isn't an issue with FiOS, but it is becoming an increasing problem with traditional cable TV.

Also, with TiVo the programs are not "streamed" from one to the other, the way other providers' multi-room DVR's do. The programs are actually copied to the other TiVo using your home network. If it is fast enough though, you can start watching the program on the other TiVo as soon as you request the program, but if it is too slow, you will encounter frequent pausing until the program is fully downloaded.

11. stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    I disagree whole-heartedly on the Premiere being the "only" option. You can find used HD, or Series 3 models all over the place. Woot even offered refurbished Series 3s a few weeks ago (though I've read hit or miss success with these).

I opted for a used HD model with an expanded drive. Bought it from a forum member. He threw in the Tivo Wireless G adapter, and I still saved quite a bit off the cost of the premiere.

For me it was about familiarity. The main reason I like Tivo is because it's so easy. My wife likes it for the same reason. I already have 1 HD and was adding a 2nd. I did not see the need to learn a whole new operating system, and more importantly, the need to TEACH a whole new system to my wife and kids. The HD was plug and play.

Of course, coming in new (or from hiatus) to the HD models, it may make sense to get the Premiere.

There ARE Options, though.

12. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Premier seems to make sense, however it seem there are quite a few problems of yet, I'll watch the forums for the fixes as they evolve.

I also looked at Moxi, but the cost seems a bit high.

13. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Not when you factor in no subscription.

14. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Beat ZeoTiVo to the punch.:p

:rolleyes:

15. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    If you are looking at a two room solution, you should get a Moxi bundle.

Since you are using FIOS, you will get to use all 3 tuners on the Moxi as opposed to the 2 tuners on the Tivo Premiere.

It does cost more initially but if you compare a one Moxi and a Moxi Mate it will be cheaper than two Tivo Premiere.

16. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    It would be cheaper, but you would lose some features and have a total of 3 tuners instead of 4. And if you are recording two programs and watching a third on the main unit - no live TV for the mate, though for many TiVo (and some regular DVR) users that is not a big issue.

17. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    There is live TV on the Moxi Mate if you watch the same channel as the Moxi. If you have a free tuner there is live TV on the Moxi.

Furthermore Moxi is not subject the CC1 crap that Tivo is subject to in some areas.

The Moxi 2 room bundle is $799

Two Tivo Premiere with lifetime is $1399

The Moxi Setup is $600 cheaper

18. Hostage46

Hostage46 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    I was initially put off by the Moxi price, but I'm paying now $30/month for boxes. The buy and own model is attractive.

whatis "CCI" Crap?

What features do I give up if I go that way?

19. NotVeryWitty

NotVeryWitty Too Big to Fail

Oct 3, 2003
    Central Mass.
    And, Tivo is not subject to the lack of analog tuners crap that Moxi is subject to in some areas. :eek:

Of course, since we're talking about Fios, none of this crap is relevant to the discussion (Fios has no CCI byte issues and no analog channels). :D

20. fatlard

fatlard New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Certain cable companies put copy protection on certain shows on certain channels like HBO, Showtime, etc. This copy protection is called CC1.

When a program that you record has this bit turned on, you cannot transfer it to a second Tivo to watch.

Moxi streams videos and is not subject to CC1.

There is a Moxi discussion here. This forums has a lot of Tivo Fanboys i so you may get better information.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095015