1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming back to Tivo/Comcast. Do I have this right?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by arbywon, Oct 11, 2018.

1. arbywon

arbywon Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Been away for awhile. Had 2 Gen 1 Tivos, then several DirecTV Tivos. Stuck with the DirecTV dvrs when they went to mpeg4. I miss my Tivos but have been satisfied until the AT&T update to the GUI. It has been the worst conceived and poorly executed software project in my 50 years of software. I am coming back!

I have 1 video projector to be sourced from my new Tivo Bolt. The equipment closet has access to coax and cat5 ethernet. I have 3 other tvs with access to coax but most do not have easy access to cat5.

My apologies if the following is already answered on this board. I did indeed search first. Now I am trying to get verification that I got it.

I believe I need:

From Tivo: a Bolt VOX plus 3 minis and a POE filter. (2 of the minis may come from ebay.)

From Amazon: Comcast certified modem/router and 2 3-way MOCA certified splitters.

I believe the coax connections are the following: service entry to POE filter to 3-way spliter; one connection each to my cable modem, Bolt and the second splitter). Outputs of the second splitter go to my 3 other tvs. The Bolt is also hard wired to my network.

From Comcast: new service (150mbps internet, 140 channel tv package) plus a cable card.

Some questions:

1. Does my cable connections make sense?

2. Would it be better to install Comcast equipment first and be sure that is working first or should I go direct to Comcast cable card and Bolt?

3. Will the Comcast sales rep know what a cablecard is and provide the right type? Am I better of going to the Comcast service center?

4. Do I need the HD technology package from Comcast? Some on this board say that is unnecessary.

5. Is it worth having a Comcast tech do that part of the install? Can the typical tech deal with the cable card?

6. For the Bolt and Tivo installation; is the included instructions clear and complete (they used to be) or do I need to search here for tips and tricks of the tivo cognoscenti?

7. Anything else I should think about?​

Thank you in advance!

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Maybe have Comcast do everything including hardware. Then you can decide if you really want a TiVo.

Help for a friend in a Retirement Community

A lot has changed in four years.

3. arbywon

arbywon Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Really! The only help from the Tivo community is go with Comcast!

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not "only"! Just the first of probably many suggestions! :)

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    2. I'd go directly to a cablecard and the Bolt.
    3. Some sales reps might know what a cablecard is, but no matter what the ticket says the techs will arrive without it. Go to the nearest office and pick one up yourself.
    4. No, you don't need the HD technology package.
    5. No and no. Set up the Bolt without the cablecard first. That's going to take at least a few hours for it to update, download guide data, etc. Once that's all done, unplug the power cord and insert the cablecard. The card might need a firmware update from Comcast, which will happen automatically. When everything is stable, call 877-405-298 to have them pair it to the Bolt.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Yes. The “PoE” MoCA filter would be best-placed on the input of the top-level splitter (rather than in-line and connected via coax to the splitter’s input).

Comcast should supply and install the “PoE” MoCA filter, but supplying your own can be a good precaution against relying on the tech having one on his/her truck.

Recommended splitters: Holland GHS-PRO-M

If Comcast is offering free installation for a primary outlet plus one or more additional rooms there’d be little harm, aside from delays and account adjustment and returns hassles, with having an Xfinity whole home setup installed for a money-back trial window — both to have the coax plant confirmed as MoCA-compatible and as a functional point-of-comparison. Otherwise, I’d just jump to the TiVo setup to start saving money.

8. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    My bad.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Also, the bolt can establish the moca network if it has coax and ethernet available, no need for the other adapters. Not sure for comcast compatible modems, but some will be able to create a moca network as well.