Comcast's New HD channels are they SDV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Jul 26, 2007.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago

Advertisements

Okay here in Chicago we have new HD channels they are:

Food HD
    National Geographic HD
    A&E HD
    Home & Garden TV HD

My tivo sees these new channels and has added them to my guide and shows program info. However, none of these channels show up on the S3, are they SDV?

If i switch over to my Comcast provided cable box by Motorola they are all viewable.

FYI
    I have run the guided setup again
    Rebooted the S3

No luck these channels are just a blank black screen on the S3.

Anyone else having this issue?
    Thought i would check here prior to calling tivo, oh and also, I search for this issue but only found mention of the channels being added or news that they were to be added.

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As far as I know, Comcast Chicago does not yet have any SDV. They got rid of around 30 analog channels a month or two back, so they have the bandwidth available for 60+ channels without SDV.

You might call Comcast and ask them to re-hit your CableCards.

3. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    The Tivo gets it programming data for a given channel based on whatever channel Comcast tells Tivo, Inc it is on. Tivo, Inc does not know the actual frequency that the channel is on. Ypur Tivo knows because Comcast tells it via the cablecard. It is possible that, although Tivo has updated the programming data, Comcast has not properly set up its cable plant to tell your cablecard what channel it is on. In this case, re-hitting your card may or may not help.

I would assume that if a channel is on SDV, then Comcast purposely wouldn't inform your cablecard about it, as there would be no reason. In this scenario, SDV may be afoot.

As a possible quick fix, I would go into the channel listings under setup and see if the channels appear there, perhaps unchecked to hide them.

4. glsMC

glsMC New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Here in Southwest Michigan we also have the same four new HD channels on Comcast, and they come in fine on our S3. I believe our channel lineup is very similar, if not the same, as Chicago.

5. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006

Advertisements

I wouldnt expect to see SDV mainstream for another few months on comcast. Directv will be adding a bunch of HD come september. After that, expect to see sdv all over the place. Comcast wont be able to compete without it.

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    It'll take a lot longer than "months". there are a lot of infrastructure changes that have to be made to implement it.

7. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
  8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    just where is all this HD content coming from that DirectTv says it will offer? Is there that many shows using HD capable cameras?

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Oh, there is no question that they are starting to deploy it in many major markets, and it will continue to grow. But it will be a long process before it is wide spread.

10. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Broadcast Network HD Channels
    ABC HD
    CBS HD
    The CW HD
    FOX HD
    MyNetworkTV HD

NBC HD
    PBS HD

National Cable/Satellite HD Channels
    A&E HD
    Animania HD*
    Chiller HD (launch 3/1/2007)
    Cinemax HD
    Discovery HD Theater

ESPN HD
    ESPN2 HD
    Equator HD*
    Family Room HD*
    Film Fest HD*

Food Network HD
    Gallery HD*
    GamePlay HD*
    Golf HD **
    HBO HD

HDNet
    HDNet Movies
    HD World News*
    HGTV HD
    INHD

Kung Fu HD*
    MHD
    Monster HD*
    National Geographic HD
    NBA HD

NFL HD
    Outdoor Channel 2 HD
    Playboy Hot HD (adult)
    Rave HD*
    Rush HD*

Showtime HD
    Spice HD (adult)
    Starz HD
    The Movie Channel HD
    TNT HD

Treasure HD*
    Ultra HD*
    Universal HD
    Versus HD**
    Wealth HD

World Cinema HD*
    WorldSport HD*

Not too mention cnn, msnbc, TBS, 5 new discoveries, etc coming out as well.

11. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    Well i guess it depends on where you live. They are rolling out ATT IPTV here in the bay area, so you can guarantee here they are all over testing SDV. i personally would go with directv if i had Line of sight.

12. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    VOD HD channels make up a lot of it. They failed to distinguish these type of channels from regular networks.

13. singletb

singletb New Member

May 12, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I am on Comcast Chicago with an S3, and have been receivng said channels for about a week.

14. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    I heard that. Also how much of it is truly HD versus upconverted from whatever SD camera was used to record it.

I get Good Morning America in HD now over an OTA hooked up to my TV and most of it has blue panels on the side since the feeds from other places the news happened are not HD ;)

15. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Uhhh, no. Might want to do a bit of research: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=851257 ;)

Dish has also announced many of these as well for August and Sept on their MPEG4 system.

16. jmpage2

jmpage2 Active Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Well, Tivo knows this is happening and that if they can't get a workaround in place that it's going to make it very difficult to sell their boxes vs. the ones that the providers are offering.

Lets hope some middle ground can be found and a solution is in place by the end of this year for SDV.

17. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    High-definition launch schedule:

August
    Animal Planet
    Discovery
    TLC
    The Science Channel

September
    Cinemax (MoreMAX)
    HBO (HBO2, HBO Family, HBO Signature)
    History
    Starz (Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, and Starz Kids)
    TBS
    The Weather Channel

October
    CNN

October/November
    Cartoon Network
    CNBC
    FX
    SciFi
    USA Network

December
    Tennis Channel

1Q '07
    ABC Family
    Disney Channel
    Toon Disney
    ESPNews

DirecTV will begin adding channels in September, but DirecTV won't be the only one.

Expect to see many of these channels on Comcast and FiOS in the coming months.

18. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks for staying on topic and also i have a fix.

Called Comcast and after 4 hours of BS i finally got someone who knew anything about CC and is willing to send out a setup signal. Prior to getting this guy the other idiots wanted to send out a tech (exCon) or said that it must be an issue with the tivo and to call tivo.

Once signal update was sent to the CC by comcast everything was working. So something that should have taken 1 phone call and 20 minutes at most took hours and left me full of frustration and hatred for Comcast minus the one guy who knows how to do his job. Thanks Steve.