Comcast (Xfinity) the TiVo Killer!!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by cchenning, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cchenning

cchenning New Member

Mar 6, 2008

Advertisements

Comcast showed up at my front door today to rip out my cable and replace it with fiber optics. But its not just plain jane fiber optics, it is EPON!

See the EPON link, but if you want to cut to the chase:

CableCARDs are not currently supported. TiVo devices currently are not compatible with the IP-based fiber network deployed at your property. We hope that TiVo works to develop devices that will be compatible with this technology and the Xfinity Stream app.

When I called TiVo, they said "switch to another provider", they might as well say, "Move to another location where you have FIOS as an option".

"Xfinity looks forward to providing you with the best service possible and enhancing your entertainment experience in the future."​

BillFarrell and johnner1999 like this.
  2. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    Where are you located?

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Hopefully this won't come here anytime soon (good news is that we tend to be on the end of Comcast's schedules in rolling out new technology and upgrades).

S1cott

4. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    This is where everything is going . Old technologies can persist for a while but eventually QAM cable and cablecard are going away

johnner1999 likes this.
  5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

There is a question as to which of the following events happens first:
    1. My TiVo dies.
    2. There is ever a choice other than Spectrum QAM cable at my home.
    3. I die.
    In any of these events, I will "cut the cord". :)

Rey, kpeters59 and samsauce29 like this.
  6. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    Won't be a TiVo killer over here. We're on OTA.... dropped cable a year ago....

Puppy76 and V7Goose like this.
  7. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Isn't EPON (or something similar called GPON - I think the G stands for Gigabit) what AT&T U-Verse uses? If so, then don't hold your breath waiting for TiVo to do anything about it; TiVo still doesn't work with U-Verse, which is one of the reasons I switched back to Xfinity, although if more companies are switching to a similar system, TiVo might get the hint. (U-Verse is not available in a large part of the country - I know that the states of Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado do not have it anywhere - and I am under the impression that there will be no expansion of the service.)

There's always Plan B: take a page from the days of one-tuner boxes, and give everybody an IR Blaster. Okay, you will only be able to record one program at a time, you can't watch a different show on the cable box the TiVo is using, and there's no guarantee the IR Blaster will send the right channel code fast enough for the box to complete the change - and there's no way for the box to tell the TiVo that the channel change did not work.

8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Well, "another provider" could be DirecTV offering the THR22, the TiVo DVR compatible with current DirecTV service. Agreed, your current TiVo's are NOT compatible with DirecTV, but you could still use a TiVo. Granted THR22 based on S2 and S3 UI--but is a High Definition TiVo DVR--and lacks a lot of the retail TiVo features, but if you really want to stay with a TiVo DVR, that is the only "other provider" with TiVo service--unless, as you stated, you MOVE to some other cable co. territory.

If you don't want DirecTV, then Dish's Hopper 3 with 16 tuners supporting up to 7 TV's beats the Genie any day.

9. cchenning

cchenning New Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Southwest Florida

10. cchenning

cchenning New Member

Mar 6, 2008
    From another local Southwest Florida community:

Q: Does Hotwire provide cable cards to allow the use of a TiVo DVR?

A: TiVo is not compatible with Hotwire’s Fision platform.

• In virtually every community that Hotwire serves, there are residents who were TiVo users prior to the move to Hotwire. The combination of Hotwire’s DVR capabilities, their TiVo replacement policy (see below), and superior streaming experience via the Fiber to the Home (FTTH) connection have proven to be an equivalent, or superior, replacement for the TiVo system. There is no reason that the same would not be true here in Shadow Wood.
    • TiVo Replacement Policy: The Hotwire Communications® TiVo exchange policy is available to all residents during the initial installation and activation of your new Fision® service. A resident that owns a TiVo system with a Product Lifetime Subscription will be eligible to exchange up to four (4) of their TiVo devices for one (1) Fision HD/DVR Box and up to three (3) companion Multi-room HD Boxes from Hotwire. Two of these boxes (the DVR Box and one companion Box) are included in the Shadow Wood bulk agreement and Hotwire will waive the standard monthly lease fee for the additional two companion boxes. If a resident has more than four TiVo boxes, then they may lease additional Fision HD Boxes at the standard monthly rate of $9.99. Please note: the “lease free” option for the third and fourth HD Box is only available when your Fision service is initially installed; if you wait and add these boxes at a later date, the standard lease rate of $9.99 will apply.

Such a deal!

11. cchenning

cchenning New Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Going OTA was my first thought. Then I started thinking, if TiVo does not care, why sink more money into their equipment? I already have two Series 2 (with lifetime service), two Series 3 (with lifetime service) sitting in the closet, and now a Romio Pro and Mini ready to gather dust.

Like everyone else who reads this, I can punch the buttons on the peanut in the dark and not miss a beat, now I get a knot in my stomach everytime I do a commercial skip.

12. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    FIY TiVo does not work with ATT Uverse either.

13. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I'm confused. How was this forced on you?

14. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Large condo or HOA with TV and internet bundled?

Can we get a picture of your Arris X5001 and any other equipment that they are using for EPON?

This is the problem with these big bulk deals. They force you to have a certain provider, and effectively block the competition, since no one is going to subscribe to Frontier FiOS or something else when Comcast has 100% of the houses in a neighborhood. On the flip side, you get symmetrical gigabit internet on Comcast's network which is pretty awesome.

I'd get a used Roamio OTA for one TV, use the Mini for another, and the S3 for yet another, and also have Comcast X1 on one of the TVs.

15. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    I'm having trouble understanding why gigabit speed would be "awesome". Is it less latency, or does someone really need that kind of bandwidth? Even if someone had a house full of people all streaming at once, how much speed do we really need? Not trying to be rude. Maybe there is something I'm missing here.

The only thing I could see useful might be the upload speeds for various video stuff. Remote desktop, security system, etc.

16. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    You are certainly correct in that, for 99% of users, having a gigabit internet connection is not a question of "need." My 60Mbps service from Comcast was more than adequate for our two-person household, even with UHD video streaming. But for an extra $40 p.m., I am enjoying the added speed and convenience of gigabit service. I think that if I had to pay full retail (currently $140) I would downgrade again, but for half that price, I'm happy for now.

BTW, this is the old asymmetrical gigabit service, so upload speeds are rarely higher than 60Mbps, if that.

17. BillFarrell

BillFarrell New Member

Jul 7, 2005
    cchening:

Thank you for this post. I just spent the last 2 days working with COMCAST Level 2 support - for them to tell me my (2) TiVo's are now worthless. Strange enough - the units worked for 3 weeks after the conversion, and then finally stopped.

I'm also in SW Florida (Fort Myers). Note this rollout was part of an HOA/Community conversion - so no option to avoid.

Bill

18. TKnight206

TKnight206 Active Member

Oct 20, 2016
    Have you tried escalating up higher than level 2 support?

Why would it work for three weeks then stop? Could it be a coincidence? Like, something happened a few weeks afterward to cause problems?

I'm reaching here. I'm really hoping CableCARD devices will still work and that your instance is unrelated.

19. jeffl.ors

jeffl.ors New Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Gigabit is a waste of money. 90% of ALL internet enabled devices can only support 300-500Mpbs. It only takes 3Mpbs to stream in HD. Gigabit is a marketing scam for residential use.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

computersteve likes this.
  20. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    Well, better HD is 7Mb/s, and ideally it would be 30+ (but never is), and 4K is 15 and should be much higher than that, but still, yeah.

I’ve got 25 now (30) which is basically totally fine.