Comcast/Xfinity drops NHL Center Ice from TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chrisrimple, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Oct 1, 2019 #1 of 19
    chrisrimple

chrisrimple New Member

May 7, 2011

Advertisements

Posting so others in the same situation will find an answer when searching Google...

In September 2019, I received a letter from Comcast/Xfinity (Seattle) saying that my subscription to NHL Center Ice would not be renewed because my "TV box" is incompatible and needs to be replaced. I've enjoyed NHL Center Ice via my TiVo Premier for a few years, so I suspected that it was a mistake, given that I also have an Xfinity SD box in my home. But my calls with Xfinity and online research have shown that it's true: they are now limiting NHL Center Ice access to those customers with an Xfinity X1 box, and I'm not getting rid of my TiVo. :)

So it now appears that my only option for watching out-of-market hockey (which, in Seattle, is all hockey until 2021) is NHL.tv. I haven't checked my TiVo yet, but hope that there's an app for that - perhaps if there's an app only for newer TiVos, this will finally push me to upgrade to a Bolt.

pmd85vette likes this.
  2. Oct 1, 2019 #2 of 19
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    If they are still delivering NHL Center Ice over QAM to their own boxes, then I think it would be illegal for them to limit it to just their boxes. Do you know if they are distributing Center Ice via IP only or is it still coming over traditional QAM?

3. Oct 1, 2019 #3 of 19
    egeek84

egeek84 Guest

Sep 19, 2019
    Livermore, CA
    they said the same thing to me with AMC Premiere "because your box is not compatible yada yada" when I can view it just fine on my Apple TV and other devices.

4. Oct 1, 2019 #4 of 19
    gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    I thought I read (somewhere?) that the (new and improved?) HD NHL Center Ice is IPTV only. That would mean that until/unless TiVo and Comcast come to an agreement on making IPTV content available on TiVo's that that content is not available.

Rey and aaronwt like this.
  5. Oct 1, 2019 #5 of 19
    pmd85vette

pmd85vette New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I received the same letter. I've been purchasing Center Ice from Comcast for about 15 years. I don't know what format the signal is in, I do know they alrady removed the On Demand feature with Comcast. I plan to wait until Thursday, day 1 of the season, and see if I get a picture on the NHL channels (770-781 in Philly area). They usually run a 2 week free preview at the start or the season. I know I do not plan to rent an X1 box and DVR service from them in addition to the $160 fee for the package. Does anyone have any other sugestions? With recording capability?

6. Oct 1, 2019 #6 of 19
    slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    But but but, Tivo is working with Comcast on an IPTV solution!!

*ducking*

7. Oct 1, 2019 #7 of 19
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Welcome to the underground bunker, a safe place in the Tivo Coffeehouse. :D

aaronwt and compuguy like this.
  8. Oct 2, 2019 #8 of 19
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    Buy a Roku. You'll even get your Xfinity on demand back.

9. Oct 2, 2019 #9 of 19
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Out of market sports are delivered now via IP. You can watch on a Roku or X1. Even non-X1 customers will have to upgrade or use a Roku. International channels (not all) that come on line have been IP only for a bit as well.

aaronwt likes this.
  10. mazman

mazman Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Alamo, CA
    I have a Smart TV with the Xfinity Stream app, but IP channels don't show up on it? Should they?

11. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    I'm on Comcast Bay Area and it appears that Center Ice (I don't subscribe) is available on 2 HD channels (GameHD1 and 2) and 14 SD channels (Game1-14) on QAM via free preview beginning tonight. When I tune to the channels I get the splash screen showing 2 scheduled out of market games @ 7 and 10ET and the annoying music. Will report later if the games themselves are not available.

12. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    There are a lot more HD channels for center ice than 2. Comcast shows the rest as IPTV.

gary.buhrmaster likes this.
  13. pmd85vette

pmd85vette New Member

Nov 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Watching Comcast now with the free preview. No issues. Comes in fine. Comcast better let me purchase. How stupid, better let me purchase!

humbb likes this.
  14. humbb

humbb Active Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Northern CA
    It looks like Comcast will let me purchase Center Ice online: My Account>Services Tab>Manage TV (Services section)>Add/Manage Premium Channels (Under "Common Solutions" on the right). At the very bottom are the Sports Packages and you can check the box for Center Ice.

15. ericy

ericy New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    We got burned by this as well. My wife went in circles with the XFinity people - they kept pushing her to turn in the cable card and get their stupid box, which makes absolutely no sense.

We have a smart TV, but it isn't that smart. I hooked up the internet to it this morning. Launch the Amazon Prime app, and it says the service is no longer available on this device. There is a "browser", but that just says "This page cannot be displayed".

I suppose the Roku is going to be the easiest way forward.

16. Laurie K

Laurie K New Member

Oct 9, 2019
    BLUF: NHL Center Ice is working on our HD Tivo (we live in Laurel, MD). For a recap of our frustrating timeline, see below:

-mid-September: get the letter from XFinity saying "Because you don't have HD programming or an updated TV Box, you are not eligible to subscribe to NHL Center Ice" (even though we've had that through our HD Tivo for the last 4+ years); try not to panic

-during free preview: all channels come in fine, phew

-4 Oct 2019: I purchase Center Ice online (just like humbb did above), phew again

-9 Oct 2019: free preview ended, no NHL Center Ice, panic sets in

-10 Oct 2019: spend 2.25 hours on the phone with Xfinity representative who assures me with absolute certainty that NHL Center Ice WILL NO LONGER WORK WITH A TIVO and that we MUST get a cable box (like their X1 box) to watch it. 'Why were we able to watch the free preview?' I asked... 'Because they purposefully made those channels available to all types of subscribers but that will not continue after the free preview' they responded. Seemed fishy but all the evidence seemed to support that unfortunate outcome. So... because my poor husband is a long-suffering Buffalo Sabres fan and this is their 50th season + 'this is their year honey!', I added an X1 cable box to our plan, keeping the TIVO cable card active as well, with the intent of switching to the cable box during Sabres hockey games only. No more panic, but growing anger.

-11 Oct 2019: Xfinity technician spends 4.25 hours at our house, up-degrading our internet connection (never returned to finish, cable outlet plate still off in 2 separate rooms, whatever) and hooking up the X1 cable box. The plan did work, however, and we were able to watch NHL Center Ice that night on the X1 cable box. A mix of phew and resignation.

-13 Oct 2019: NHL Center Ice started working on our TIVO box (and is still working). Quickly moved to straight up rage. :)

kokishin likes this.
  17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Hi neighbor.

18. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    How would this effect a no X1, no IPTV, no voice Comcast system?

19. buildersboy66

buildersboy66 Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    Florida
    At this point we have NHL Center Ice channels shared with MLB in my lineup as usual. In SD of course...2020 and sports channels are in SD. SAD!