Comcast won't send CableCard for Self-Install

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by PickyRhino, Nov 26, 2012.

1. PickyRhino

PickyRhino New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Has anyone else had trouble getting a CableCard mailed from Comcast? I'm in Sonoma County (SF Bay Area) and was just told I have no choice but to go to a service center to pick one up.

The Chat Rep said: "The only items available here on my end are the cable boxes and that's it."

So I just filed a complaint with FCC (and sent them the chat log). If the same thing has happened to you anywhere in the country, feel free to email fccinfo@fcc.gov and reference my complaint 12-C00443172.
    PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AND BRIEF.

2. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    This has always been the case for Comcast in Houston.

3. PickyRhino

PickyRhino New Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for this news from Houston. Still, isn't this a violation of FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1)?

From my perspective, the whole point of "self-install" is not having to waste my time visiting a cable operator's or office or risking an interaction with an incompetent representative.

It's not fair to only offer us a free cable box or DTA by mail, but NOT a free CableCard.

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    In my area the cable cards have always been delievered by one of their techs.

5. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    No.

No. The point of allowing a self-install is not forcing the subscriber to fork over $60 for an installer to come out, shove a card into the TiVo, call customer service, and leave.

Very few CATV companies will ship equipment to you. If Comcast does, it is an exception to the rule. That said, if they will ship other devices, then refusing to ship CableCards seems odd.

6. Dec 2, 2012 #6 of 10
    orangefur

orangefur New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Massachusetts
    For our first Premiere, I could not even pick one up - I had to make an appointment for a tech to come out. It was free though. We just got our second one and I was told I need to take the TiVo to the service center and have them do it there. I can't do it myself and they will charge me for a visit. Hopefully they will not charge for taking the TiVo in to have it done.

7. Dec 3, 2012 #7 of 10
    CoxInPHX

CoxInPHX COX Communications

Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cox will ship any equipment to the customer, if requested.

8. Dec 3, 2012 #8 of 10
    nightquest420

nightquest420 New Member

Dec 3, 2012
    im trying to get charter to send or deliver the card for 3 weeks now i have been to my local office 3 times and they say we don't know what im are talking about any ideas i know its a tivo site but my box is a motorola dct 6200

9. Dec 6, 2012 #9 of 10
    misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    You're right, this has nothing to do with TiVo, and the equipment that you mention is mainly used for Cable companies, so unless you bought it Directly from Motorola, it belongs to your or some other cable company. Maybe that is why they are reluctant to give you a card for it. Looking at the Motorola, what logo does it have on the upper left? Click

10. misterclick

misterclick New Member

Oct 24, 2012
    When I first got my HD Tivo, I called Comcast to get the card, and they said that they could NOT supply any cards unless it was for THEIR equipment. I called the next day, and someone else said they would take one of my receivers in exchange for the card (money wise) I told them how much is for the card/month, they said it was the same as if I had a receiver. I said ok I want one. They wanted to schedule a tech to come and install it, they put me on hold, and then they said I could go and pick it up at the local Comcast, I suggested that they send it to me, but they said they could not mail cards, that I had to pick it up, or make an appointment for a tech to come, the next appointment was a couple of weeks out. I said I would pick it up. I went the next day, and waited over 3 HOURS! (I always have to wait over 2 hours at ANY Comcast location! When I got the DTA converters, I was there 6 HOURS!) The lady said wait and went to the back and then talked to someone, and finally got a card and programmed it, and asked me what model TiVo it was and then gave me a piece of paper that explained the steps to activate it over the phone.
    What I'm trying to say, is that it depends on who you talk to. I was thinking that maybe because I was waiting over 3 hours they did not want to send me home empty handed... I don't know.