Comcast: What really happens in Feb?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tomhorsley, Nov 26, 2011.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I just got annoying automated call from comcast (Boca/Delray area in Florida) warning me that if I don't take action to make sure I'm connected to some kind of unspecified digital equipment, I'll lose my TV signal in February. Their web site is every bit as fuzzy as the phone call. I've already got a TiVo Premiere with a multi-stream cable card. Are they trying to tell me I'll need a tuning adapter as well? Or are they just trying to get me on the phone with a high pressure sales agent? :). Anyone know what they actually have planned for Feb? (I suspect just the demise of the final analog signals).

2. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Probably a digital transition. They're probably informing people that if they don't have a cable box or a cable card then they will need a digital converter. It's possible that they could roll out tuning adapters at the same time. If you provide a link we could probably figure it out.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    We went through something similar here but it was just the loss of most of the analog channels thank goodness (no tuning adapter). Not sure that we got any phone calls but we did get mail regarding getting free DTA's (2?) for TV's that did not have a cable box and it's been on the last couple of bills as well.

Scott

4. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    After more searching, the most informative page I could find is this one:

https://digitalnow.comcast.com/About_Digital_Update.aspx

It sure seems like the TiVo and cable card is all I need. I don't see anything on there
    that sounds like a tuning adapter.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    As far as I know Comcast has not been doing TA's, they're just going to drop 90%+ of your analogs and move to digital, from what I've seen the locals stay on analog when they do this.

6. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    They don't really need tuning adapters when they are dropping so many analogs. It sounds like they are moving most analogs to digital so it shouldn't affect you if you have a cablecard TiVo.

7. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    We had that happen a year ago. If you have analog tv you would need the adapter for it. With the cable card you be ok.

8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    No even the local are digital that why the need of the adapter to change the analog signal to digital. Comcast will give you 2 regular adapters and a stb for free.

9. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    We went thru it last year. Any one who hooked the cable directly to their TV would lose everything in the analog channels. All the channels were being sent over the cable in a digital format. They gave every one 3 of the adapters for free. What we did find out is the anaolog basic is the same price as the digital basic package where they give you a regular cable box. My parents made the change and they picked up the music channels, on demand movies and a lot of other movie channels like encore and amc for the same price they were paying for just basic analog.

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Not in my backyard, they left the locals for their "all digital" upgrade, but that's all, it's about 10 channels.

11. Soapm

Soapm Active Member

May 9, 2007
    Aurora, CO
    This is what they did in the Denver area, we are 100% digital from what I can tell and you need a box or CC for any device to work. What I don't like his how large the files are now on my Tivo. I went from .3g for a 30 minute show to over .7g with digital. But hey, progress is a beautiful thing...

12. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Subs too, are just main channel?

13. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ
    you check lately?

Here on my headend they did it in phases- at first they left locals and educational access as analog and some crawls for a few others that didn't have anything but a message to call for your free 2 digital adapters- while everything else changed to digital. Then 2-3 months later they nuked anything analog and everything needs the adapter.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I'm not even sure if we get all of the subchannels via cable.

I too had the vast majority of channels go digital only a while back (that's when I finally got cablecards). But I still get through I believe channel 33 in analog. The highest one that I care much about is 29, Discovery. I still record on analog channels, though sometimes as a backup on my non-Tivo hard-drive/DVD recorder (or to get the missed beginnings/endings via timeslot overlap if I don't have enough tuners to add padding to everything). I sure hope that at least the broadcast channels stay in analog..

15. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    If they do go all digital here I hope they keep at least some analog. Would be doing me a favor if they did move local subs from clear QAM to analog.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    The two things aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, most areas do have the locals available on analog and clear QAM.

17. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    Mine has the local sub channels only on clear QAM and of course the HD version of the locals. What I was saying is would be good for me if they put local subs on analog either now, or if or when they go mostly digital. But again I'm not gonna hold my breath for it.

18. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    If you don't have the locals on analog now, they aren't going to add them when they go all-digital. In fact, if they aren't all digital already, it is strange that you don't see your locals on analog.

19. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    The subchannels were only carried on the upper digital-only channels - up around 240-250 in my market. They're still there but now tuneable by the Digital Transport Adapter so available with basic cable.
    Not true; see above - the subchannels were always digital before and not tuneable with analog-only service, but add a free DTA and you now get them.

20. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    That doesn't make them analog. The DTA just converts the digital to analog. My point is no cable company is going to add channels to analog. They are doing whatever they can to get rid of analog. The DTA with give you access to the digital channels. That has nothing to do with the analog lineup.