Comcast Truck Roll required?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ejuand, Apr 18, 2011.

1. ejuand

ejuand New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Bought a Premiere Xl re-furbished from Tivo.
    Called Comcast and they told me I could self install the cablecard.
    On the internet the Comcast local office says cable card self installed offered.
    Waited in line 30 minutes..... 'We dont allow self install, and I dont have cable cards. You have to pay for a truck roll.'

Truck roll charge $15.00
    Additional outlet charge $8.50, Tivo charge $1.50. I argued on the Tivo charge that it did not make sense but she would not change her mind. Then I said i'm putting it into a tv so she changed it to a cable card charge!

Other then the fee for cable I am currently being charged $8.50 for HD access.

2. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    You must have another cable box or too many DTAs in your house. All I pay is the HD access fee. (plus the truck roll)

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    The costs in Pembroke, Fla have no relation to what they would be in Minnesnowta (I like the spelling). They differ from city to city.

4. ejuand

ejuand New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Yes, I have 1 DTA on my account.
    Its just that I asked her if I did not have the hd box what would my charges be? She said only $8.50 because the 1st cable card is free. So I asked her to switch my cable card to be the primary to avoid the $1.50 charge. That was denied, so I asked her if I turn in my hd box, then my cable card would be free. Then I can get a cable box later for $8.50, saving $1.50. She told me I was trying to confuse her.

5. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    It most likely not work just as soon as you add the box they will start charging the $1.50. It hard to confuse the computer.

6. h2oskierc

h2oskierc I'm a 2-Tuner

Dec 16, 2010
    Minnesnowta
    Interesting, I would have thought the policies would stay the same. I guess we knoe why even the comcast cs folks can't keep thing straight. I know here they are all in minneapolis, but they still don't have it together.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Forum Runner

7. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    On my bill it shows $7.95 for "Digital Access Fee: Includes CableCARD and Digital Access" This is for a second TiVo. There are no monthly fees for my main one.

Truck roll was $25 though.

8. TWinbrook46636

TWinbrook46636 Member

Feb 8, 2008
    From COMCAST

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD.

If additional CableCARDs are needed for other devices that are installed on additional outlets, you will not be charged for the first CableCARD installed on this outlet as the cost is included in the additional outlet fee. In addition to the cost of the digital cable service, you will be charged a regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD on the additional outlet.

**Note: The same pricing schedule will be applicable to additional outlets with multi-CableCARD devices, e.g. no charge for first CableCARD on the third outlet and an additional regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD in addition to the digital service charge.

Disclaimer: Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to learn more about Regulated Prices for your area.

9. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, that's been on their website for a couple years but local offices interpret it in different ways and always rely on the last sentence as justification.

Luckily I am in an area where they follow this for the most part. However, when I added a new THD with a cablecard they began charging me $1.50 per month for the card and nothing for the Additional Outlet Fee. I haven't called to correct this.

10. ejuand

ejuand New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Pembroke...
    My appt was 8-11 today. Just got a call 15 min before 11 .... the tech does not have cable cards. We dont have any in the warehouse. We will put you on hold and call you when we have them. I asked are you comcast? No we are the contractor.
    I live in broward county, you have no cable cards? How about Dade(Miami)? Sir we cant use those cablecards they dont work in broward.
    What do you mean? It's just a card!

11. ejuand

ejuand New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Pembroke...
    2nd appt. cancelled today. No cable cards at the warehouse.
    I tried to get them to ship the card to me , no go.
    They told me to call back in 2 weeks to see if they had any.
    I had Directv for 10 years and never had a problem with getting equipment.
    My Sat services gets shutdown on May 2, after that I wont have a DVR with HD which is the only thing I watch. I guess I will put up an antenna in order to record shows.
    Comcast is so big I guess they dont care.

12. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Definitely try an antenna if you can. Unless you're hooked on some particular cable/satellite shows, you may decide that you can "cut the cord" permanently. I have three local stations (two PBS) and four or five others that are about 70 miles away. I'm receiving everything pretty well using a Channel Master 4228 outdoor-type UHF antenna and a CM 7777 preamp, but they're currently sitting on a chair in an upstairs bedroom aiming out a window. That works well enough that I've never gotten around to putting them up on the tower. If you live near a city, you probably won't need anything that elaborate.

13. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    I wonder if your issue is really with that individual contractor - does Comcast have different contractors or any in-house techs in your area? Maybe if you could get someone ELSE to do the install you wouldn't have this issue.

After such a long delay for a pretty much readily available product, I can't help but wonder if some gentle nudging about the FCC mandate for cablecards to be available is warranted... they can't get out of that by saying "out of stock" indefinitely, at least when nowhere else seems to have this issue?