Comcast to have over 800 HD channels by 2008

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Jun 14, 2007.

1. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
  2. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I think DTV and E* have a real problem and thats why Murdoch got out.
    Even with the new MPEG4 stuff they will be bandwidth limited.

Cable and DSL/ATT/Verizon will have much more options by only sending you what you need. Essentially IPTV.

I don't see how the sats can compete, there is no way they can send user specific programming.
    Right now its no big deal because there is not enough content.

However I could see a day when telephone is essentially one of the channels. You could simply turn on your TV and select a channel that is the equivalent of a phone number and you talk/see to that family member.

There could also be channels for college classes, etc , etc.

In otherwards the computer streaming finally unifies into the simple TV experience.

The sats will become simply a streaming vehicle for places where you cant get highspeed broadband.

It really doesnt make sense to send everything when your only listening to 2 or 3 channels depending on the number of DVR/tvs in the house.

The DVRs purpose will simply evolve into a caching mechanism

3. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    I like your style dude.

Well put.

4. ebockelman

ebockelman PR#6

Jul 12, 2001
    Orlando,...
    You do realize that with the new sats, Directv has more bandwidth than any cable operator in the country, no?

5. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006

Advertisements

You did read what you linked to, right?

Plus, the article you linked to links to another article, which says this:

D* has 100 channels, actual channels, from what I understand. By this logic, every HD movie in on-demand is its own channel. That's just silly (and highly misleading).

6. AbMagFab

AbMagFab What happened, TiVo?

Feb 5, 2001
    The HD content is still YEARS away. We don't need more HD channels with 10% HD.

7. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    Yes, but they are forced into a corner by having to supply all the locals in all the markets. Yes it sounds great when they can promote a thousand HD channels or something using mpeg4 but when those really equate to 150 copies of CBS, 150 copies of Fox, 150 copies of NBC etc etc who really sees the value?

So yes, today DTV have more bandwidth, but what good does it really do them other than help them spin marketing.

Lastly, as HD becomes more and more common place people are going to start to realize that DTV's HD is not as good as cables. I had both for a while when I got my S3 and visually cable with an S3 was a significantly better picture and had far less pixilation. Even then OTA still wins in the PQ stakes :)

8. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    What are you talking about? I watch all of my prime time shows, sporting events, many music concerts and other misc shows in HD.

If you are referring to a relative low volume of HD beyond the categories I mentioned, there is a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Why would certain providers invest in HD programming unless there is a delivery mechanism.

9. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    Be serious - the number of distinct HD channels that anyone can get today is in the 15-20 range. And the bulk of the content is still non-HD. Local channels have ~3-4 of 24 hours of programming in HD, and they have the majority of the new HD content. National channels repeat HD programming incessently through the month, so they have even less new programming per day (although it's often only HD that they show, not that that really matter much in terms of this point).

The amount of HD content needed to keep 100, let alone 800 distinct HD channels is years and years away, if ever.

Will we see more HD channels by 2008? Sure. Will it even be 100 distinct ones? Not likely. And will the HD channels we get be providing mostly HD content, or lots of new HD content per day/month? Also not likely.

This is still in the very beginning stages.

(And I'm not counting the multiple instances of locals. The HD content, other than some local news, is the same for each local network. So locals really only count as 5 distinct channels, no matter what DirecTV keeps trying to claim.)

(I'm also not counting the pretend VOOM channels, which are more video podcasts than real HD channels. Even so it's only about 8 more.)

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Furthermore most of the mpeg4 broadcasts are transcodings of mpeg2 which means quite a big quality hit compared to the originally encoded mpeg2. I still find it funny DirecTV still advertises as having best picture quality despite the HD Lite mess and the fact that most of the big cable operators now have digital versions of all channels that are better than what DirecTV broadcasts in most cases.

11. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    That's funny. Which 2 dozen non-videophiles in the US would ever notice the difference?

12. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    But that's the issue---you had both and were about to compare the two on the same equipment. Most people won't be able to do that and so will have a very hard time comparing the two.

13. STL

STL New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Sounds like you fell for the D* marketing speak! LOL What they actually said (last I heard advertised) was that they will have the capacity for 100 national HD channels -- not 100 actual HD channels. So it seems Comcast has just used D*s same marketing tactic and one-up'ed them.

14. hdhdliving

hdhdliving New Member

May 29, 2007
    Chagrin...
    Actually they are saying up to 150 now. But it really doesn't matter what they say. If Comcast invents their own channels then I suppose they could have 800 but the simple fact still remains their simply isn't even 100 channels available in HD now and that includes the ones promised by HBO.

15. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    My son has both cable and D*, so I have had the opportunity to make A/B comparisons between them. He and I agree that cable, at least his cable, has better PQ than D*.

Not all cable companies furnish the same PQ, or course, but I have done innumerable A/B comparisons between Cox OKC’s transmissions of local network stations’ HD shows and the OTA transmissions of the same shows. I have found their PQ to be uniformly indistinguishable.

16. Mach1_8

Mach1_8 New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    The big eye-opener for me was when I was watching a Discovery HD DTV broadcast in a Magnolia store. You know the little ad they have for the station that highlights a bunch of cool looking shots? Well, on my cable at home this always looks great...but here (and on all of their displays) whenever there was motion, it was heavily pixelated. No need to be a videophile to recognize it...it was very noticable. Ick!!!

17. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006
    As a FIOS user, I could care less about (and never watch) D*'s marketing. So it looks like both D* and Comcast are asking weasly.

18. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    If you remove locals (which DirecTV rediculously counts each local instance), DirecTV has less HD than almost anyone else. They have only 8 national HD channels:

ESPNHD
    ESPN2HD
    TNTHD
    UHD
    HDnet
    HDnetMovies
    DiscoveryHD
    NGCHD

And a pitiful 2 premium HD channels:

HBOHD
    SHOHD

It's one of the main reasons I left DirecTV. Comcast has many more HD channels in my area, and FIOS has tons more.

DirecTV is a joke.

19. DeathRider

DeathRider New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Boston Area RCN
    How many displays showing the same picture? I was just wondering if they split it too much w/o amplifying it enough...not that I'm defending D*

I have RCN

At least my premiums are MAXHD, SHOHD, TMCHD, and StarzHD. I don't receive HBO :D

20. AbMagFab

Feb 5, 2001
    The facilities guy in my office, about as far from a videophile as you can get, saw a big difference between Comcast and DirecTV. So much so, he asked me if there were different kinds of HD, since the stuff he sees on DirecTV looks not as good as Comcast.

So he switched. And he's thrilled.