Comcast to Fios- Process question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jcherins, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jcherins

jcherins New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    NJ, USA

Advertisements

FIOS TV recently became available in my area. I now have my installation date for next week to make the switch from Comcast to FIOS. Has anyone made this switch before? and if so, what is the process that I should follow?

Do I need to re-run guided set-up prior to the tech installing the new cable cards? I am planning on following the Tivo supplied instructions for the cablecard install, as I did for the Comcast visit back in January.

Any advice or suggestions that you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    I just went through this.

All I did was pull the old CableCARDs and authorize the new ones as instructed. Then TiVo prompts you to re-run guided setup and automatically updates your To-Do list with your seasons passes etc.

3. jcherins

jcherins New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    NJ, USA
    Thanks! My FIOS installation appointment is set for this Wednesday.

4. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    One last tip, a single error 161-4 is expected when they authorize the CableCARD, if you get multiple 161-4 errors or any other 161-? error, then there is a problem with the CC. Also if you see a error indicating that "CableCARD is non-functional" this can be normal during downloads (no indicaation) so wait about 5 or 10 minutes before giving up on the card.

5. jcherins

jcherins New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    NJ, USA

Advertisements

Thanks for the advice!! I'll let you know how it goes.

6. jcherins

jcherins New Member

Oct 8, 2001
    NJ, USA
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't say enough about how WELL the FIOS TV installation went. The FIOS tech(s) ran rings around the best that Comcast ever had to offer.

Total Time on Site 2:00
    Installed 2 S3s (4 X CableCard) 1 X FIOS DVR, 1 X FIOS STB

The install would have gone much quicker if it wasn't for the time I spent showing the Tech the features of the S3. He was so impressed that he called over 2 fellow installers to check it out. One of them was so impressed that he was planning on going to BestBuy to pick up a Tivo HD on his way to his next job.

If anyone is on the fence about switching to FIOS, stop waiting and make the switch.

7. bdraw

bdraw Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Wow, glad to hear your install went as well as mine.

Not sure about you, buy I can't believe how much I've been watching the NFL Network in HD.

8. jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    I received an S3 for Father's Day, but only have Comcast Analog Cable + OTA HD + unencrypted QAM HD (locals). FiOS is set to roll out here in the Beaverton, Oregon area as late as Spring '08, and maybe as early as Fall/Winter '07. I'm holding off committing to Comcast for any digital cable package until FiOS arrives, although it is tempting to make the leap for the CableCards.

I'm happy to hear that your installation went well and I hope for the same when FiOS is turned on here, hopefully sooner than later.