Comcast to discontinue analog in Chicago

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by greygoose, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 10, 2007 #1 of 227
    greygoose

greygoose New Member

Dec 24, 2005

Advertisements

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0704050706apr06,0,2945392.story?coll=chi-business-hed

We will be forced to get a digital box since only local broadcast channels will be provided on the coax input (1st paragraph). I hope that the digital tuner being provided is dual tuner. Otherwise, I will not be able to watch another program with my TV's tuner while my series2 is recording.

2. Apr 10, 2007 #2 of 227
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    If you're getting stuff from a cable box you won't be able to watch ANYTHING with your TV's tuner.

3. Apr 10, 2007 #3 of 227
    greygoose

greygoose New Member

Dec 24, 2005
    That's why I hope the box that they are forcing us to use will be dual tuner.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #4 of 227
    oopy493

oopy493 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    My building has expanded basic analog service included in the assessment. Comcast just came around and handed out 1 free cable box per unit. After the digital upgrade (sometime in the next few weeks), we'll only get the networks and public access channels (and FX for some odd reason).

It really sucks, my analog picture was excellent and I have four cable jacks that are now kind of useless without paying an additional $4.24/month/box for more cable boxes.

The only silver lining is that ~3/4 of my SPs are on networks so my S2DT isn't really useless.

Anyone know if the HD broadcasts of the network will continue once they do the switchover?
    (I watch some of my favorites and some sports live on HD, I might need to go buy an antenna now.)

5. Apr 11, 2007 #5 of 227
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

This is what some of us have believed would be happening over the next few years with cable. Many people have bashed the thought that cable would go all digital before OTA did, but as the article points out the benefits of digital over analog are great.

What would be interesting to find out is how many of the digital channels are not scrambled and would be available to someone who had a TV with a digital cable tuner in it (QAM).

Thanks,

6. Apr 11, 2007 #6 of 227
    bilbo

bilbo New Member

Dec 7, 2004
    "The vast majority of our Chicago customers already have digital service, but for the customers with basic service, they will get a new box," he [Eric Schaefer, vice president of business development (for Comcast)] said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0704050706apr06,0,2945392.story?coll=chi-business-hed

'While a simple1 "majority" is more than 50% of any total, a "vast majority" is harder to define. The phrase "vast majority" is most often used to exaggerate the size, relevance, or importance of some statistic.'

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=vast majority

24.2 million cable customers
    12.7 million digital cable customers

http://www.cmcsk.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=147565&p=irol-homeprofile

Wow, assuming Comcast has about the same digital penetration in Chicago as it does nationally (52.5%), I wouldn't call that a vast majority at all.

'And finally, the third possibility is that a "vast majority" is a majority which is "vast" compared to other majorities. In this meaning, it isn't clear where exactly to draw the line -- maybe at 80%? -- but it really isn't a useful descriptor. The only useful descriptor is data.'

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=vast majority

7. Apr 11, 2007 #7 of 227
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I haven't heard of actual dual tuner/dual output cable boxes. the only Dual tuner Cable boxes I've hrard of are DVRs that have one output.

8. Apr 11, 2007 #8 of 227
    TriBruin

TriBruin Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    An additional wrinkle in this is how many of the "digital" subscribers have a SINGLE digital box but have their 2nd (and 3rd, 4th, etc) TV (and/or Tivos) connected to analog? A better statistic would be the actual number of digital boxes compared to all CE devices connected to cable.

9. Apr 11, 2007 #9 of 227
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    not cable, but there was one (I think only one?) DISH DVR that output two separate shows, for another room for example.

10. Apr 11, 2007 #10 of 227
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    The other responses seem to have skipped this part. This sounds like the local broadcast channels WILL still be analog. (Presumably the HD variants will still be unencrypted QAM too.)

While I have cable, and watch various cable channels, the MAJORITY of what I watch is "network stuff". (In fact, I originally got cable to get better reception overall of the network stations.. we had a rotor antenna and having to rotate the antenna 180 degrees to get the best reception on one of the channels is not conducive to unattended VCR recording.) Though more reminiscing, I was able to be a premium channel subscriber for a long time and had NO cable box.

11. Apr 11, 2007 #11 of 227
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    If this happens here, and I bet it will within the next few years, I'm gonna drop cable and just go with OTA. They're pissing me off already, and this would just be the last straw. It's just TV after all.

12. Apr 11, 2007 #12 of 227
    PhillyGuy

PhillyGuy Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Dual tuner boxes do not put out both pictures simultaneously. You can only display one or the other.

13. Apr 12, 2007 #13 of 227
    scroos

scroos New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    I live in Rockford, Il. where Comcast is about to take over from Insight.

I am about to purchase my first Tivo, to connect to my cable box. With the absence of an analog signal, does this mean that there is no point in using an S2 DT in this set-up?

Am I correct in my understanding that an analog AND digital signal are necessary to utilize dual tuners on the Tivo?

Thanks in advance...

OO

14. Apr 12, 2007 #14 of 227
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can use two Analog or analog on one input and a Cable Box (with analog outputs) for the other TiVo input. The DT can only control one cable box so if your system went all Digital with just the OTA networks on Cable analog you could use the DT with one cable box and record two channels at the same time if one of those channels was part of cable analog offering. If the Cable stopped offering any analog then you could only record one channel at a time as the DT can't use an outside antenna as one of the inputs

15. Apr 12, 2007 #15 of 227
    pokegol

pokegol New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I live in the suburbs of Chicago and they said in the article that we can expect to be forced to digital by the end of 2008. I've been thinking exactly the same thing as you.

16. Apr 12, 2007 #16 of 227
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Do they even make dual tuners which are not DVRs (themselves)? I don't remember reading about any.

17. Apr 12, 2007 #17 of 227
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Better for whom?

If folks want cable to be regulated, then they should have the balls to elect leaders to government who will do it, definitively and absolutely -- pro-economy Republicans and Democrats be damned. If folks want cable to be a vibrant, healthy market, with ever-improving service offerings, then they should have the balls to trust the market to provide the best offerings that are most profitable.

18. Apr 12, 2007 #18 of 227
    MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Maybe cable TV isn't the highest priority for people when they vote, so they end up stuck with whatever policy their candidate endorses.

19. Apr 12, 2007 #19 of 227
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    The only dual tuner Non DVR STBs I have seen are dishnetwork's no reason cable could do the same thing but so far I haven't seen it.

Well you have half of it correct - I trust the cable companies to do what is most profitable. As for providing what people want there isn't enough competition yet for the "market" (the consumer) to get the cable companies to do what we want, if there was we wouldn't all be bit*** about them all the time.

Thanks,

20. Apr 12, 2007 #20 of 227
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Yes, indeed, and in the grand scheme of things, I think that's the way it should be, and the end-result is the way it should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.