Comcast to add SlingTV to its X1

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Series3Sub, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Comcast will be offering SlingTV on its X1 platform. While Comcast is more interested in SlingTV's Inerational channels/services, it seems ALL of SlingTV's channels will also be offered. You can Google this to find the article. I won't place a link because people can get sued--without merit--for doing so.

Well, we saw Dish the first to add access to Netflix, and then others followed. However, for a huge cable co like Comcast to offer SlingTV--allbeit limtied to the X1 platform most liekly because it can run apps well--is still quite a step. I do remember a few years ago that the cable cos. no longer consider themselves TV providers (MVPD's) but rather consider themselves "ISP's." I suppose it is better to offer access than to lose a customer to all its TV services than to SlingTV or other services like it completely. 60Mbps down/4Mbps up with NO datacaps is costing me $60 per month, I can count on that increasing over time. It is the ONLY internet service tier offered, or more procisely no tiers, just the one price for the same speed for all customers, and my cable co is the ONLY ISP that can give me more than 4Mbps down of all my options. So, with the way we use internet, there really is NO COMPETITION I can turn to. So, it seems cable cos can lose some of the TV business and still do very well, and they can upsell you to its phone (VoIP) services on top of internet, with its VoIP service costing much less than copper wire phone for most people. I use Ooma (Premiere), and am not interested in the cable cos. more expensive VoIP solution.

It would be interesting if TiVo's new Mavrick would offer apps for SlingTV or other services like it at some point in the future. It would surely take the Mavrick out of just being about OTA, but the key is the cost to code the apps. Right now it only makes economic sense to code for iOS, Android (this includes Amazon's forked version), and Roku (and I personally believe Roku is living on borrowed time for its unique OS). Outside of that, TiVo would probably have to bear a fair part of the cost along with whichever OTT MVPD service because TiVo has no real critical mass. We shall see how this all works out.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    But Roku has a reliability that many other streamers seem to lack and a ease of use that non-techy people seem to like. They have a bit more time.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    This makes no sense. If you have the x1, you have cable tv.

5. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    The X1 has Netflix and my wife uses it much more than going to our Roku so cable TV or not folks will stream from it if they get the chance.

6. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Netflix is different. Sling tv will be duplicating the same channels.

7. schatham

Mar 17, 2007
    Just a note, if you want to try Sling TV they are having a cyber Monday sale. Pay for one month and get a free Roku stick. This is usually a pay for 3 months deal.

krkaufman likes this.
  8. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    And I get word that SlingTV will be adding Cloud DVR service. It is now in Beta.

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The deal may still be available: