Comcast: TNT-HD missing

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Uncle_Steve, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Uncle_Steve

Uncle_Steve Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Sykesville,...
    A friend of mine who has Comcast in Howard County Maryland is unable to tune to TNT-HD on his Series 3 (with cable cards), but it works just fine on his Comcast-supplied PVR. As far as I know, all the other channels come in fine.

Any suggestions?

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    As far as I know, Comcast does not use SDV in Howard County. I would call Comcast and have them re-hit the CableCards on your Tivo.

Comcast's service options look something like this:

1. Basic cable (locals including HD + gov't channels) - $10-$15/mo

2. Extended basic (most common nat'l channels) - Extra $35/mo

3. Comcast Digital (numerous digital filler channels + HD versions of extended basic channels; also includes one non-HD STB or CableCard ) - Extra $10-$16/mo.

Comcast CSRs are trained to quote all three packages together when you ask about digital service. The first item is required for TV service. However, in most service areas, you can ask for just (1) and (3).

Until recently, many customers could get cable channels like Discovery Theater HD, TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, and ESPN2-HD with just packages (1) and (3).

Unfortunately, this was a error in Comcast's authorization system. Comcast was never allowed to sell Discovery Theater HD, TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, and ESPN2-HD to customers without the standard Discovery, TNT, and ESPN channels in package (2). Content providers do not sell the HD versions separately, they are bundled together with the SD versions (ex: Comcast pays $2.75 for ESPN and ESPN2 and gets ESPN-HD for $0.25 and ESPN2-HD for $0.10).

This month, Comcast began to 'fix' that on its cable systems. By the end of September, you will no longer get Discovery Theater HD, TNT-HD, ESPN-HD, or ESPN2-HD on any HD STB or HD DVR without a subscription to (1), (2), and (3).

3. nathanziarek

nathanziarek New Member

Sep 1, 2006
  4. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    Yup...lost my NFL Network HD, just recently . Bummer.

Thos.

5. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Comcast removed NFL Network HD from the standard digital package. You've now got to pay extra for that channel.

6. Thos19

Thos19 Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Rockland, MA
    Sorry...that's what I meant....

Thos.

7. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    In our area they are running a three month special for $3 a month for the sports tier that includes NFL Network and some other channels that are basically worthless to me. After that it's like $6/month. Kind of stinks since NFL network is the only channel that broadcasts the Thursday night games later in the season (started on Thanksgiving last year). I figured I'll just subscribe to the package during the season and cancel after the regular.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I believe you now have to pay extra for TNT-HD and several other stations. They have a new tier with these channels that is now required to get them. It is no longer in the base package.

9. Uncle_Steve

Uncle_Steve Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Sykesville,...
    I failed to mention that his Comcast PVR records them just fine. Only his Series-3 doesn't see TNT-HD.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    I think it is only a matter of time though. There are some threads about this on the AVSForum. You might want to check there.

11. DonRoeber

DonRoeber New Member

Nov 30, 2003
    The channel mapping is probably wrong for the device ID of the cable cards. The phone tech can fix this, but they'll probably have to escalate it, rather than just re-hit the cards.