Comcast & Tivo.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by summerteeth, Jul 24, 2011.

1. summerteeth

summerteeth New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    I do not know if I am posting this in the right place or not, so please forgive me.

Here goes---

I ordered a Tivo last week & received it on Friday. I made an appointment for a Comcast tech to come out on Saturday (yesterday).

I have had nothing but problems in the last twenty four hours.

The Comcast tech was here for four hours (until 8 last night). My TV was not set up, even though he was convinced it was (he, admittedly, had only installed one TiVo/cable card ever).

Long story short, after many resets & calls to Tivo, every thing was working except the channel numbers. So I got online this morning & chatted with a Tivo tech. We chatted for THREE HOURS. Now, my Tivo is bricked (confirmed by her, one phone call, and another chat). I was hot.

So now, I contacted Comcast & they said I need to make another appointment for an install. Tivo told me that I didn't, that I would only need to call in the M Card number when I receive my brand new Tivo tomorrow.

I am so frustrated at this point. I don't know who screwed up - the lady I spoke to from Tivo or the Comcast installer. And do I really need to deal with another Comcast tech (ugh)?

Any advice/reassurance would be appreciated.

2. summerteeth

summerteeth New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Okay, strange turn of events-

My fiance plugged it back in just for kicks, and it lets us start the set up. But we are faced with the predicament that started the litany of phone calls.

The set up gets all the way to the point of 'Getting Program Info' 'Preparing (Preparing...)'

Any ideas on how to fix that? I have tried four different area codes (per the advice of a tech) - three in the area, on the other side of the country, all to no avail.

I also tried the pause key + 57 route, and that is what led to the black screen I posted about above.

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    When you get the new unit, once you get it connected and booted, go to the CableCard pairing screen, and write down the Host ID, Data, and Serial Number (SN). Then, call Comcast, and tell them you want to pair your CableCard with your Tivo. If the CSR, says no, hand up, and call again. I didn't have a problem with doing it. The numbers you need to make sure they get into their system are: Host ID, Data, and Serial Number (SN). As long as that gets into their system you should be ok. There is an Official Comcast CableCard Thread, with lots of information. You could actually get the Serial Number off the card before you do anything, if you forget to do it, you can get it off the pairing screen.

4. summerteeth

summerteeth New Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Thank you!

Oddly enough, my fiance was playing around with it last night, and lo & behold, it began working. Now we have Tivo.