Comcast Tivo

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by thommygeenh, Oct 29, 2007.

1. thommygeenh

thommygeenh New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    New...
  2. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    ?

3. 20TIL6

20TIL6 BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    No, I get it.

DTV/TiVo users that are accustomed to an integrated provider/DVR, like the DTV/TiVo was, now might be interested in the Comcast/TiVo offering since DTV has forced them to decide between DTV or TiVo.

Makes more sense for this news to be in this forum as a follow-on to all the talk about the DTV DVR's (R15, HR20). Maybe the DTV labeled forums here should be re-labeled something like "Provider integrated TiVo". That way, talk about the R15/HR20 taking place here can dwindle down, and discussion of the Comcast/Cox/TiVo can begin. I see the Comcast/Cox offerings as being the replacements for the DTV integrated systems anyway. Basically the same business model.

4. Bonanzaair

Bonanzaair New Member

Aug 25, 2006

Works for me!

Bonanza

5. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    Dear Mods,

How about making this change, then incorporating Comcast/Cox TiVo's in here?

Basically since DirecTV and TiVo no longer offer an up-to-date provider integrated box, and it seems that Comcast (soon Cox too) has filled this void. Just re-label the DirecTV/TiVo forums as something to the effect of "Provider Integrated TiVo". The reduced traffic about DirecTV/TiVo units would still have a place here, but more importantly, going forward there would be a discussion forum for Comcast/Cox/etc. TiVo devices to begin.

It also might help drive DirecTV discussion over to dbstalk if "DirecTV" is no longer used in a forum title over here.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The fact is DriecTV TiVos still exist and are used. It would be better to start a separate subforum for the cable DVRs running TiVo software.

7. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Agreed. There is plenty of traffic on this forum as it stands. That change would just weaken it to the point of uselessness.

Start another forum for Cable TiVo's if there is enough interest.

8. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    I'm not saying stop discussion of DTV/TiVo units. I'm suggesting renaming the forum so that it can incorporate the new, cable co. (provider integrated) DVR.

9. markbox

markbox Ni!

May 3, 2004
    S.F. Bay...
    Comcast TiVo should have its own section and it would be VERY
    easy for the admins to setup a new section. If anything, us
    DirecTiVo users are gonna need this forum a lot more as time
    goes by and DirecTV ignores our needs further.

10. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    You should start your own cable company forum. Comcast did nothing but lie when they took over AT&T cable, they promised not to raise rates for 1 year and raised them 1 month later saying you have to subscribe to all of their services to get a price break. Directv has been good to me and I see of no reason why we would want to share their forum with their competitor. You should open their forum in DVRplayground which would be more on topic. :mad:

11. fasTLane

fasTLane Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Why would there not be a forum for each Tivo provider? This is the Directv branch of the general Tivo community and there could be others as well. What is the problem?

12. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    What??

First and foremost, I think this a TiVo community. Not a Comcast, or Cox community, or no matter what some might argue, NOT a DirecTV community.

I'm really sorry that Comcast took a dump in your cereal. But I'm pretty sure we have all found something floating among our flakes thanks to our cable, satellite, phone company, etc., etc., ....

My point was simply that if there is a forum within the TiVo community that includes "provider-integrated" units, the existing DirecTV/TiVo forums could fill that role. The DirecTV/TiVo was the "provider-integrated" unit, now the one from Comcast, later Cox, and so on fit that model.

I'm not aiming for the forum content to change. My thought is that with a title change, it could include discussion of the more relevant, "going forward" integrated TiVo that the Comcast unit is. Right now, it seems that the DirecTV/TiVo forums here are mainly a launching pad for people to transition to the DirecTV DVR platforms. How can that be good for a TiVo community?

As folks with DirecTV/TiVo units visit these forums, it would benefit them to know there is another alternative, another choice, that can provide them with a "provider-integrated TiVo DVR".

If this utlimately becomes a new forum, an additional one that covers the Comcast/Cox/etc. TiVo, I think it shows that the TiVo community is more focused (or bounded) by the signal/carrier, as opposed to the TiVo DVR. I don't agree with that approach.

13. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    You're being unreasonable. Do you work for the cable company or do you simply have an "ax to grind"?

Your concern can be responded to, as people have suggested, reasonably and well, by establishing a new forum in the community. All you are doing here is attacking Directv.

I think it's time that the thread was closed. Since you are not engaging in dialog, but simply ranting, it seems pretty pointless.

14. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    No, I don't work for a cable company.

But if I worked for the cable company, wouldn't I WANT a separate TiVo forum catering to ME, the carrier. Like DirecTV has.

Instead, I am just suggesting that the focus on TiVo be put above the carrier. That's all.

You are confusing ranting with logic. And who should get accused of avoiding dialogue? Perhaps the one suggesting that a thread be closed; calling it pointless?

15. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    Wow A Directv w tivo popcorn thread. With butter or without!! :) :) :D :D

16. juliana541

juliana541 Happy tivo

Oct 19, 2005
    weston fla
    I dont think The Mods even come here :p Its too boring :p Only threads about dying tivos :p This is the first controversy thread in here in months :D ;) ;)

17. 20TIL6

Sep 7, 2006
    Cypress, TX
    One vote ranting
    One vote logic
    One vote excitement

I am sensing a poll. :eek:

18. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Tech-no Guide

Mar 30, 2006
    Southern...
    This is great for us Directv Tivo users! This will put pressure on Directv having to compete with Tivo against there crappy in-house dvr. Now we have somewhere to go for HD and Tivo service in one box. Maybe we'll get the new search features that the Comcast box is touting. Unfortunately I'm in Time Warner's area right now, but that could change. Stay tuned...

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    It would have no use ( to incorporate cable DVR TiVos to here). for DirecTV TiVos (and Series 3/TDH) are different enough from Standalones to warrant their own forum, as are CableTiVos, which are farther from DirecTV TiVos even. The question of Canadian an DT Forums came up, but there aren't that many Canaian specific issues, and the DT is close enough to the Series 2 to not warrant its own forum.

20. heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    IMO that is a terrible idea. It's not broke, so don't try to fix it.