comcast, tivo, moca

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dsa1971, Oct 15, 2015.

1. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008

Advertisements

couple questions related to moving from an area with fios to a comcast area.

1) I have two tivo premieres. With comcast I know I will need cable cards as well obviously. Am I correct that I will also need sdv tuning adapters? This is something comcast will provide me as well?

2) with fios I have two moca adapters so I can have hard wired connections for my tivos. With comcast and cable modem how do I set this up? I'm assuming I connect from wall coax to moca adapter which splits to cable modem. Is this correct.

2. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Comcast doesn't use SDV, so no TAs are needed.

To create a moca network (assuming the modem doesn't create one itself) follow the image below. It would also be a good idea to add a POE filter on the input side of the primary splitter.

[​IMG]

3. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    When the Comcast installer arrives, make sure he is aware that you will be using MoCA on your system and ask if he could be sure to install a POE filter either at the drop or at your first splitter. They use MoCA for most of their xfinity systems so he will probably have them but it might be good to have one handy just in case.

4. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    I ran for two years with MoCA and no POE filter, but it is better to have one if they are available. Also, if for some reason you also get X1, you can't use MoCA on the TiVo, but most people only have one or the other, so that's usually a non-issue. Otherwise Comcast and TiVo work great together.

5. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008

Advertisements

What is X1?

6. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    When you say X1, what do you mean, running their DVR on the same network as your TiVo?

7. merccat

merccat New Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Correct, or more speifically their current model DVR which I'm assuming sets up its own network of sorts along the coax in your house that is not compatable with moca

8. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Comcast's whole home DVR solution... "Xfinity X1 DVR"

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, first off... What model cable modem are you working with? Are you using your own, or will you be renting a gateway from Comcast?

If renting a gateway from Comcast, their latest "XB3" gateway models can be used to enable MoCA on your network, much like FiOS' gateways, to which your existing MoCA adapters can connect.

If rolling your own modem/router setup*, follow BigJimOutlaw's instructions to hook-up an additional MoCA adapter to create your MoCA network.

---
    * presuming your own device isn't a combo gateway that supports MoCA bridging

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    X1 DVRs create their own MoCA network, which may conflict with other devices attempting to establish a MoCA network on the same coax lines.

Theoretically you can run multiple MoCA networks on a given coax plant by assigning the networks to distinct MoCA channels, but I don't know if the TiVos allow for such granular MoCA configuration.

11. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Im buying my own modem

12. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    That is the right answer. It is easy and payback is super fast.

13. HazelW

HazelW Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    I have a TiVo MOCA network and got an X1 a month ago. They both work fine. I don't know if the X1 is using MOCA since I don't have any other Comcast boxes. Also using my own modem and router and MOCA adapter.

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, payback isn't as superfast as it used to be, when Comcast, as an example, was ONLY providing a modem connection for presumably a single device, and you pretty much had to roll your own router if you wanted a home network. Payback on that modem was pretty quick at $8/month rental.

Now, though, the DIY setup may need to cover the cost of a modem, a wireless AC router *and* a MoCA 2.0 adapter to have equivalent functionality to what the provider supplies at $10/month -- and then there's the "Continual Care" warranty equivalent of upgrade, support & replacement costs. It's not as straightforward a case as it used to be, and much depends on the size of the residence (as it relates to wireless coverage), specific desired router capabilities and the expected duration of service.

15. dsa1971

dsa1971 New Member

Feb 9, 2008
    For me, I only need the modem. I already have a router and moca adapters

16. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Seriously? Have you been under a rock for the past couple of years? You can't claim ignorance, as you posted that you lived in a FIOS area, meaning you lived in the US. Living in a foreign country would be the only way you could not know about how "revolutionary" X1 is. LOL. Crappy knock-off of TiVo.

Correct. TiVo will cause X1 to go haywire, at least that's what happened in my experience. I didn't try changing MoCA channels on the TiVo, as I've got ethernet here, so I just killed MoCA entirely on TiVo.

That's a good point. If you only have 1 X1 box, then obviously it won't use MoCA. If you have two, then they have to use MoCA to talk to each other, and that's where the problem comes in. Where I am now, we have an XL4, two Minis on Ethernet, an X1 DVR, and an X1 secondary box.

17. elprice7345

elprice7345 Active Member TCF Club

Sep 28, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I have 2 TiVos connected via Ethernet and a mini connected via MoCA. Everything worked fine until yesterday. Got the Comcast X1 crap for free. The tech setup main X1 box and 2 X1 “satellite” boxes. After he leaves, I realize my Mini isn’t connected any longer.

If I unplug the rest of the coax network from the MoCA adapter “Coax In” connector, I can connect to the Mini.

I unplugged all 3 X1 boxes and still no Mini connection. Earlier in this thread someone said the MoCA networks aren’t compatible, which makes some sense, but why would the Comcast MoCA network still interfere with the Mini, when all the X1 devices are unplugged? Is the X1 MoCA network enabled at the account level? Can the MoCA networks coexist without separate coax runs? If I can’t use the TiVo MoCA network and the X1 MoCA network, the X1 goes.

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You may need to power-down all your MoCA devices to reset them after the X1 disruption.

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The only way might be by customizing the TiVo MoCA network to use a manually-specified MoCA channel (sufficiently distant from the X1 channel) with MoCA privacy/encryption enabled.