comcast switch to mpeg4

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Newbie, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002

Advertisements

I have a tivo series 3 and is about to "lose all HD channels" because comcast is switching to mpeg4.

Tivo web site says they have a special deal for tivo owners who are forced to upgrade because of this. Does anyone know how special this special deal is?

I also have life time service on my series 3 and need to transfer it to the new tivo.

Alternately, if I switch ISP and cable to frontier, would I be able to continue using my series 3?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    First can you confirm that you have the original S3 with the OLED display (TSN starts with 648)? If you have the later HD, it supports MPEG4 with the 11.0n update. Also, note that my understanding is that Comcast is not moving the local broadcast stations to MPEG4.

You should call TiVo and see what they offer you due to the Comcast MPEG4 update. I believe someone did post here that they were offering a Roamio Basic (4 tuners) with All-in service (current name of lifetime service).

You can't transfer your lifetime service to a new TiVo as it is tied to the device that you purchased it for (it's not for your lifetime).

Scott

3. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, the "lose all HD channels" is likely a lie, ESPECIALLY for OTA channels.

4. Newbie

Newbie Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Tivo is offering this deal:

a renewed Roamio with lifetime service for $375
    (the box is $25, and the service $350)

Not much discount on the Bolt:

$175 for the 500GB model, $275 on 1TB model
    lifetime service $550

I asked about the $100 lifetime service deal that some people mentioned for loyal customers, they said the deal ended in January.

My series 3 does start with 648. I have only the xfinity digital basic -- many local channel, plus a few extras.

I think I'll wait for a deal on the lifetime service. If I lose the channels, I'll just downgrade my service to internet-only.

5. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...

Advertisements

Digital basic will continue to keep the local channels in MPEG-2. You might lose a couple channels if you get TBS or HSN or QVC or something, but probably not much of note. You will retain all SD channels.

As much as it is way beyond time to upgrade in it's own right, for the sake of the TiVo itself, you're not going to lose much to the MPEG-4 transition.