Comcast Sucks

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by NJStealth, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Feb 5, 2005 #1 of 49
    NJStealth

NJStealth New Member

Jan 14, 2005

Advertisements

I must say this was a horrible experience. Comcast came out to install my cable. They were 3 hours late, The guy brought the wrong cable boxes. Needless to say he had an HD box with him so I was gonna temporarily take that one. He couldn't even figure out how to install it. I kicked him out of my house and called up comcast customer service and told them to never contact me even if they want to offer me free cable. They then gave me HSI for 19.99 a month for a year which I will keep. I should of never considered leaving DIRECTV. Then again lately Directvs customer service has not been too pleasant. The best retention would offer me to stay is 6 months of showtime and I would have to sign another one year contract. I guess nothing is perfect.

2. Feb 5, 2005 #2 of 49
    dbronstein

dbronstein New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Denver
    I don't understand this mentality that some peole seem to have that DirecTV (or Dish or whoever else) should give you free programming or equipment if you threaten to leave.

3. Feb 5, 2005 #3 of 49
    Oknarf

Oknarf New Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hampton, NH
    And I don't understand why directv would prefer to make us all buy new equipment to get a feature that could be downloaded to our Tivo's today.

Let's just say different people have different perspectives, and that the only one looking out for you, is you.

4. Feb 5, 2005 #4 of 49
    Rax

Rax New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    In a box.
    Funny, nobody told me I have to buy all new stuff.

5. Feb 5, 2005 #5 of 49
    mattg

mattg New Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Fredericksbu...

Advertisements

I had a comcast guy come to my house when I had a non-DTV capable apt.

So he wouldn't screw up anything with my setup if he installed it when just my wife was home, I ran all the wires, and taped them to the location I wanted the digital box to be.

I ended up being home...

He hooked up the coax from the wall, the 2 audio cables, and the s-video. He then got this blank look on his face and asked me how the video got to the TV without a piece of coax connecting the TV and the cable box.

6. Feb 5, 2005 #6 of 49
    dtivofan23

dtivofan23 TiVo addict

Nov 3, 2004
    lmao.....what cable company was this?

njstealth i would have kept that bad experience to my self. after that long thread about switching you know you gonna get alot of people saying "i told you so".

so you gonna stick with directv?

7. Feb 5, 2005 #7 of 49
    Matt9876

Matt9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Maryville...
    LOL ....MattG thats a good one !

8. Feb 5, 2005 #8 of 49
    NJStealth

NJStealth New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    I dont know maybe I should try dish network. See if they are competent.

9. Feb 5, 2005 #9 of 49
    dtivofan23

dtivofan23 TiVo addict

Nov 3, 2004
    from what i have heard you dont wanna do that

10. NJStealth

NJStealth New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    why are there receiver fees if we pay for the receivers on dtv?

11. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    This person won't be happy no matter what.

12. ADent

ADent Active Member

Jan 7, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Comcast can be tempting though.

I just got an offer for Digital Silver with HD DVR (6412 I think) for $39/month for a year.

Still sticking with DTiVo for now.

13. Jasonp55

Jasonp55 New Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    Not to threadjack, but this reminds me of something that I got in the mail today...

I guess that when I canceled Charter, I probably shouldn't have told them that I was switching to DirecTV, because now they send me mail about once a week trying to convert me back over.

Anyway, today I got some flyer telling me that I would 'save over $400 a year' if I switched back to Charter from D*. The front was advertising their premium digital package, and it had the HBO logos all over it. Looking on the back, it had HBO and Shotime checked for Charter (under the $30/month plan 'premium' plan) but not checked for D*. Turns out, that it comes with a 1 month PREVIEW of HBO and Shotime. And that $30/month price? It's introductory! After a few months, it shoots up to around $60/month. Just briefly going over the math in my head, it was clear that switching back would likely cost me money. D*'s not prefect, but at least they've never flat out lied to me.

But really, what should I expect? This sums the situation up nicely: When I moved into my current house, Charter was over a week late installing my cable (claimed that all their installers were booked, and that my order had gotten 'lost'), about three weeks later, DirecTV was a day early.

14. Mark W

Mark W Member

Dec 6, 2001
    CT, USA
    Well, if I used the OP's logic, I never would have gotten DirecTV. Installers didn't show up or call for 3 appointments in a row, and when he did show up, the guy didn't know how to read a compass correctly. If you read this forum for more than a day or two, you'll realize that one thing the cable company doesn't have a monopoly on is crappy installers.

15. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Back in '96 I installed my own equipment. With no problems. Then about 15 months ago I got HD. DirecTV sent me the receiver and Phase III dish. I set up and activated the receiver using my round dish, just for SD of course. I mounted the Ph III on my deck railing and plumbed the mast. Then the installer came at the time indicated and I helped him run the two dual RG-6 cables (I had the hole in the house and conduit run to my equipment closet in the cellar. He then tweaked the dish and that was it.

About two years ago a TWC tech came to the house and offered my their latest deal at the time. I took him over to where the dish was mounted and said I have DirecTV. We then shot the breeeze for a few minutes because he was a former co-worker and I knew him. He indicated to me he would probably have DirecTV if he didn't get TWC as an employee. :)

16. ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    At times, yes, but there's some things to like about Comcast....

1) 24-7 tech support and customer service. I once had an issue on Saturday night and had a tech in my home the following morning (that's a SUNDAY, mind you).

2) Want to pay your bill at 4am? Go right ahead!

3) Blazing fast internet connection that frankly, DSL can't touch...not by a longshot. (I reliaze that this is somewhat subjective)

...now granted, all of this comes with a price, which I consider almost exorbitant, but you do receive fair value in return.

I'm a former dish owner and I loved every minute that I was with DTV. Now, however, logistics make it impossible for me to go with their service so I am "stuck" with Comcast. I must say though, that as a whole, they have improved dramatically over the years....at least in the Richmond, VA market.

17. Joedog

Joedog New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Well Comcast in our area does not even offer cable modem service due to our old cable infrastructer.

Quote> Ridiculous, lightning, blazing fast internet connection that frankly, DSL can't touch...not by a longshot. > Quote
    Well my DSL is 6 mbps download and 608 kbps upload on a static ip address.
    So I think it compares well to cable internet. at about $50 a month.

18. ThomasDrew

ThomasDrew New Member

Dec 29, 2003
    I pay 42.95 for service. and those specs are right in my ballpark. DSL, at least in my neighborhood, can't touch those speeds.

I will say though, that for as happy as I am with Comcast's internet service, there is no comparison when it comes to cable programming, options and pricing. DTV wins, hands down. (IMHO)

19. NJStealth

NJStealth New Member

Jan 14, 2005
    Fortunately my company pays for my high speed internet so I dont really care what the price is. Has anyone in NJ noticed a speed increase. My HSI seems quite a bit faster as of recently.

20. Joedog

Joedog New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Well plus my wife demands NFL Sunday Ticket.
    So there is no way I could drop Directv.