Comcast signal strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by 3 Cushion John, Oct 15, 2019.

1. 3 Cushion John

3 Cushion John Member

Oct 15, 2019

Advertisements

My Comcast TV signal strength is about 90%. (88-93) I'm wondering if signal from street can be improved by calling them. I also have FIOS TV signal strength @ 99-100%.

I'm comparing their basic plans to decide which one to keep for the next year.
    1 Tivo Bolt FIOS
    1 Tivo Premier Comcast

Both videos seem good in HD
    Is 90% that the best I can hope for from Comcast?

2. JackMcC

JackMcC Active Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Comcast won't do anything for you unless they confirm you're having an issue especially with their equipment. I did at one Tim and it cost them $2k to dig a trench and run new cable from the pole. It's still expensive for them if they dont dig a trench.

90% is fine. Mine was down to 75% using their portable meter.

Make sure you're measuring the strength at the incoming line rather than after splitters/amps.

Now that I think about it, they'd rather give you an amp before replacing the line.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If the signal is too strong, it can burn out the tuners. Tivo can self-adjust, but only for so much. You basically do not want to go above 95% on the Tivo. Pixelation can occur when its too weak (50% or lower) or too strong.

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It's a digital signal and 90% is fine.

Scott

kpeters59 likes this.
  5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

A four tuner Bolt and Roamio both have an AGC circuit that likes to set the Signal % at 90%. See my signature for abbreviations. If you used the same boxes on an antenna, that number would be 72%. I have 200 channels and all are 90%. Sometime I see 87% or 92%, but it always returns to 90%.