Comcast setting copy prohibit on all the new HD channels ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by dd9, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1 of 12
    dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Is this a Comcast company wide thing or just in New England maybe? All the HD channels they are adding as of late are copy prohibit so I can't transfer shows between TiVo's which is a real pain. The original SD channels never had this flag set. VH1, Travel, G4 are just a few that come to mind. I can understand putting this flag on premium channels, but not these channels!

I'm wondering if it's worth complaining to Comast and chasing it down or if this is new policy.

If anyone else has any experience with this, feedback is appreciated.

2. Jan 8, 2010 #2 of 12
    jjberger2134

jjberger2134 Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Just to be sure, you are attempting to transfer from a TiVoHD to TiVoHD or TiVoHD to PC, right? There are no non-HD TiVos in the mix.

I am on Comcast and I am not experiencing this problem. I have several shows right now from MTV and CNBC which are available for me to download to my PC from my TiVoHD.

3. Jan 8, 2010 #3 of 12
    dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Yep. TiVoHD to TiVoHD (or TiVo Desktop). Again, this is only for the new HD channels they have added in the last month or so in the 700 and 800 range.

4. Jan 9, 2010 #4 of 12
    Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    It seems that some Comcast equipment defaults to setting the CCI byte to 0x02 when adding a channel. Sometimes, but not always, this can be corrected by contacting Comcast by one of the means here. ComcastCares or WeCanHelp are probably the best bets of your message getting to someone who actually would know what you are talking about.

5. Jan 9, 2010 #5 of 12
    bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    Hmmm.... Comcast doesn't make equipment. I suppose you mean Cisco or Motorola, right?

6. Jan 9, 2010 #6 of 12
    dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    Thanks for the link. I'll follow up with it and see what becomes of it.

7. Das Achteck

Das Achteck Member

Mar 8, 2005
    No, I mean equipment made by the manufacturers and configured as Comcast desires. As you know, Comcast has acquired many operators over the years and there is non-uniformity throughout their regions in equipment as well as policies.

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    But you said that some "equipment defaults" to setting the CCI byte a certain way... did you mean that Comcast procedures say that the default is to reconfigure the equipment to that setting? Otherwise, what you wrote before just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry. :confused:

9. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN
    This may explain why I'm unable to receive any of the new HD channels, plus all the Encore channels disappeared a while back. They never got my cards paired correctly with either of my Tivo units..

10. dd9

dd9 Member

Aug 10, 2000
    Boston, MA, USA
    I had the same problem a little while back on one of my units. After a few calls, customer service couldn't figure it out (obviously a programming issue though). They sent a tech out who called someone and they were able to redo the pairing and then initialize the card. Something that could have been done by one of the CS reps the 1st time if they had the correct training on cablecards.

11. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Your data ID is probably incorrect in their system, I had the same problem a few months back when they enabled CP on the Encores, Movieplex, and Flix. Unfortunately, it will either require a tech roll or escalation to corporate to get them to fix it.

12. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I noticed the same thing. Just go to the https://[ip address]/ using the account tivo and your MAK as a password. All shows recorded from the new channels say "protected". Prior to the conversion only premium channels were copy protected. Comcast south of Boston deleted anolog channels 28-99 and add a number of new HD channels, but has marked them as copy protectd. No transfers.

please call...if enough us call they may listen.