Comcast Seattle/Everett SDV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by djjuice, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 18
    djjuice

djjuice Member

Mar 29, 2008

Advertisements

I'm using a series 3 with Comcast and I notice I have ToonHD, G4HD, FuseHD, etc.. these say i need a cablecard to work, obviously I have 2 cable cards. From what i've read these are SDV channels comcast is testing in other places. Dont know if i'm correct here. I've called a few friends with comcast DVR's and they don't even get the channel it skips them. Why would I be able to get these channels with a channel guide listing? the local store doesnt know anything (as usual) they don't know what SDV or a tuner adapter is either. So i'm guessing i'll be able to view these with a tuner adapter. also i used the online channel guide on comcast and it had the channels listed.

so all in all, are these SDV channels? If so i'll have to try to get an adapter somewhere at sometime. i'm not in a hurry to watch G4 or QVC in HD though. I wonder why tivo boxes would pick these up but not other boxes

2. Jan 6, 2009 #2 of 18
    StriderWA

StriderWA New Member

Aug 12, 2007
    I noticed the channels appeared in my lineup (and I got the message) over the weekend, I think what it is is that these are the next batch of HD channels that will be available and have yet to be activated, but as the TiVo receives their guide data and channel lineups differently than a typical Comcast box, they might've been published before they're active.

In the last round of HD channels, the channels appeared, and all the guide data said 'to be announced' yet the channels worked. I'm assuming that this is a similiar anomaly.

I have heard of no plans of Comcast SnoCo to go SDV, only that they are going to a digital conversion of their own around the same time as the DTV switchover. Any TVs without a cablebox will need a DTA box (2 free per household) from Comcast to receive any channels over 32 or so and this is supposed to free up a ton of bandwidth so Comcast can push out more digital/HD channels. (Do a search on the Seattle P-I or Seattle Times web sites for comcast and digital conversion and there are some FAQs)

3. Sirwill

Sirwill Don't take my Tivo!

Dec 25, 2002
    Everett, WA
    Yes, I got a bunch of those channels showing up in the 660 to 699 range. They added a LOT of channels. about 1/2 of them appear to be active, the other 1/2 still don't display anything. (been a couple weeks).

On a different note, anyone know how those DTA boxes will work with a Series 1 box? I have my tivo HD, but I still have another s1 with lifetime. I'm trying to figure out what to do so my kid can keep watching the Disney channel on 41. (Everything 30 - 77 or something like that going digital)

Any suggestions? And if anyone hears about those other HD channels going the route of SDV and can get their hands on a adapter of some kind let me know.

4. wilfried

wilfried Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Seattle
    They are not SDV. They are only showing up in some area, depending if your area as newer equipment or not. Older equipment don't have sufficient bandwidth capabilities for the new HD channels.

If you are in an "older" area (like me) you'll have to wait until Comcast removes the analog channels before getting the new HD's. This could be anytime this year. :(

Look at the PDF file on this post:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15358413#post15358413

You can find your "community ID" on your bill.

5. Oblio

Oblio New Member

Dec 7, 2004

Advertisements

I've been wondering about this myself, and after looking at Comcast's website, these new channels that are listed on my Tivo are NOT listed on my Comcast channel lineuip from their site. I take that to mean that Tivo is ahead of Comcast themselves as far as publishing new channels. Also, manually removing them via Tivo's "customize channels" or whatever it is called doesn't seem to remove them, which is pretty annoying.

6. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    These are channels they Comcast are testing and will be coming. I suspect they will be available once they do switch to SDV. I'm not sure when they are but they will be. They are starting in Portland/Salem and will be moving up north.

7. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    They are not switching to SDV. They are merely moving about half (or more)of their analog channels to digital channels to free up bandwidth.

8. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Can anyone update me with the story of Comcast in the Seattle area Kent/Renton specifically switching to SDV? I live in Chicago but I am planning on getting my parents a TiVo HD for X-mas but I'm not close enough to the situation to know what is going on. I was looking at the Seattle Times site but didn't see any specifics. I do OTA HD, best thing ever.

Thanks

9. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Haven't heard anything about SDV in the Comcast Seattle area. Maybe someone from the Renton/Kent area will chime in.

Comcast is still in the middle of Project Calvary around here - moving all but basic cable to digital and then adding more HD channels.

10. 1janwad

1janwad New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    I've had the extra HD channels in Redmond for a couple of months. I had to do a partial setup to get the programming info to show up. I never did get any messages about them from Tivo.

Here's what I was told to do by Tivo via email:

To resolve your
    channel lineup issue, please complete a small portion of the Guided Setup by
    following these steps:

Go to:

- TiVo Central (by pressing the TiVo button on your TiVo remote)

- Select Messages and Settings

- Select Settings

- Select Channels

- Select Channel List

- Press the ENTER key

Follow the onscreen instructions to complete this portion of the Guided
    Setup. Your TiVo DVR will ask you to answer questions regarding your
    channels to determine the correct channel lineup.

Please ensure that the TiVo is using zip code <<98xxx>>. When you are asked
    to select your provider, please choose <<Comcast>>. On the next screen,
    press the ENTER key. This will take you to a list of available lineups
    where you must choose <<Digital Rebuild>>. You will have an opportunity to
    review the lineup before finalizing your selection. Please note that it
    will not display any of your premium channels (such as HBO) until you
    advance to the next few screens.

11. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    Thanks, I'll hang onto those instructions. We're supposed to begin getting more HD channels any time now in Lake Forest Park.

12. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I'm in Kent, no SDV here. Haven't heard/seen/read anything about SDV anywhere in the Puget Sound area with Comcast. Hope they never go to it here.

13. sean33

sean33 New Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Great thanks guys. I assume the cable cards are still a hassle? I used to do cable in Seattle with one of the tiny providers that still owned pockets of the city and it was such a bad experiance I went to OTA HD when I moved to Chicago.

14. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I have 2-S3's and had no problem with the cable cards. The S3's require 2 cards (either S or M) in order to get dual tuner capability (HD's require only 1 M card to get dual tuner capability.) Both times I went to a Comcast office and picked up the cards myself. Installed them with instructions included in the TiVo box, and called Comcast to have them activated. The phone calls were just a few minutes. Pretty painless. I think a lot of people have issues when their local Comcast requires a truck roll to get the cards installed and the guys driving the trucks are mostly clueless when it comes to TiVo.

15. CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    I did two CableCARD self-installs earlier this year on TiVo HDs. The Comcast employees at the office where I picked up the cards and the employees on the phone when I activated them knew exactly what I wanted. Everything went smoothly and no truck rolls were necessary.

16. Qwertinsky

Qwertinsky New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    When I got my Tivo-HD I called Comcast and asked about cableCARD.

They said cable cards are all self install now in this area. (I am north of Seattle)

If you need or want a truck roll to install it, it will cost $25.

I picked mine up at the local office, popped it in the Tivo.
    A screen came right up that said to call this number to activate.
    I called it, read off a string of numbers to the guy on the phone.
    30 seconds later it was on and running.

Pretty painless.:up:

17. richboyd

richboyd New Member

May 29, 2006
    Like others, I picked up a CableCard (M-dual tuner) at a Seattle Comcast office (125th & Aurora); no need for a Comcast visit to my home. I plugged it into my TiVo Premier XL. I only needed a brief call to the Comcast customer service number in order to activate the CableCard. It's been working flawlessly since. Everyone at Comcast knew what to do and what I wanted. Painless.

SDV in Seattle? Not yet (Oct 2010). I sure hope it never arrives. On this score, all the customer service reps are ignorant (or pretend to be ignorant) about SDV. "What does SDV do? Do you mean Digital TV?" they say? I got through to the Comcast Corporate Offices and asked about SDV. "We have no plans for SDV in Puget Sound" was their answer. At least the corporate guys knew what I was asking about.

18. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Except for everyone is going SDV and Comcast has stated they going along with everyone else in doing it. They also have said Portland/Salem will receive it first then up here. Here is even an article this year that Comcast will be agressivly rolling out SDV.

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=193243&site=lr_cable

Everyone is going SDV at some point. Just a matter of when.