Comcast Rep New England rollout update.

Discussion in 'HD Comcast TiVo DVR (Archive)' started by mtchamp, May 18, 2008.

1. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA

Advertisements

Thanks Comcast Rep, but you need to post here because this forum is where all the TiVo talk happens. It doesn't make sense not to post here. The AVS forums are dead on Comcast TVo. They mostly gave up and went back to iGuide or bought TiVo HD's. The hardcore TiVo fans we have here will work with you. We want Comcast TiVo to succeed.

This forum provides much more feedback to Comcast and TiVo by Comcast TiVo users who are sticking with it through the bug fixes. It's very important that Comcast Rep comes here officially and keeps everyone informed through this bumpy rollout period. As soon as the crazy 8888's bug fix is rolled out to the New Bedford MA area and I read about it here, I'll be back in with a Comcast TiVo.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=13884210&postcount=133

05-16-08, 03:56 PM #133 | Link
    Comcast Rep

Hello everyone. I want to provide an update on the Comcast DVR with TiVo Service.

In the past, some users have noticed long delays (up to several minutes) when scheduling recordings (including setting up and modifying Season Passes). We made a change recently to correct this issue, and you should now see improved performance when scheduling recordings.

The software update for the Comcast/TiVo DVR that rolled out to part of the region at the beginning of April is on hold for the moment, but we are working to get it out as soon as possible. As a reminder, this release contains fixes for a perpetual reboot loop (with the front-panel display showing 8888), the Dolby Digital output on DCH set-top boxes, improves the Guide HD filter behavior, and other bug fixes.

I'm also happy to tell you that there will be another release targeted for the next few months that will provide noticeable performance improvements, particularly to scheduling and Guide. I can provide an update later on as we determine the exact timing for this release.

Thanks again for your feedback and your patience as Comcast and TiVo work to improve your user experience.

2. FJFbHj356y

FJFbHj356y PeterNE

Apr 28, 2008
    My only issues so far with Comcast/TIVO are:

1. Recording confirmation is about 10 seconds maybe less. This is MUCH better than it was a few weeks were it would take a few minutes at least.

2. Usually every few days I would have to go to the Settings Menu and choose a restart because the --info-- would never show for the current channel. I would like to say in the last 2 weeks or so, I have only had to force a reboot once.

3. I would love to have 2 Comcast/TIVOs in the same room, but the remotes work on the same signal and cannot be altered. So I am considering this:

http://www.tivo.com/promo/bluemoon.html

However, I have heard random issues about the Tivo HD and CableCards, so I guess I have to wait longer.

Currently, I have a Comcast/TIVO and a Comcast HD box turned to not receive a signal from the remote which is hooked through a ReplayTV (4000 free life time), but I worry this will die at some point.

Overall things are improving with the Comcast/TIVO, at least for me.

Peter

3. hack123456

hack123456 New Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks ComcastRep (hopefully you'll take mtchamp's advice and read/post here)

I really enjoyed having my Comcast/Tivo service, but after the 8888 issue I haven't wanted to schedule another disruptive service call just to do what I know is a software push.

I'm hoping maybe some folks brave enough to tough it out will post that they've gone for more than a couple days without the long record delays, or the 8888 issue!

Thanks!

-Ed

4. Comcast Rep

Comcast Rep New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I will post here as well moving forward. Keep the feedback coming...

5. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004

Advertisements

Thanks for stopping in! Look forward to your updates.

6. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Great news Comcast Rep and a great big TiVolution welcome to you. As soon as you can confirm new software for the New Bedford MA area that prevents the box from going crazy 8's, I'll get myself TiVo on Comcast again. I'm remodeling the house and have frequent power outages that the box needs to be able to recover from. I'm also looking forward to a comprehensive update for guide and speed issues. I otherwise found TiVo on Comcast to work very well with OnDemand, the one Comcast feature most important to me in addition to owning 2 TiVo HD boxes.

7. Comcast Rep

Comcast Rep New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Hello everyone -
    As some of you may have noticed, a software update has now been rolled out to all of the Comcast DVRs with TiVo Service. As a reminder, this update fixes the reboot loop bug on DCH boxes (aka the "8888" display bug), enables Dolby Digital output for DCH boxes, enhances the performance for the HD filter in the Guide, and other bug fixes.

There will be another release coming in the near future that should provide substantial performance improvements, particularly for the Guide and scheduling recordings. In response to user feedback, this release will also enable users to jump forward by 24 hours in the Guide by pressing the skip-to-tick button on the remote, and jump backward by 24 hours by pressing the instant replay button. I will keep you posted as the exact timing for this release is set.

Comcast and TiVo remain fully committed to the success of the Comcast DVR with TiVo Service. I want to thank the early users of the product again for your patience and feedback on the initial releases.

8. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Hallelujah!

I'm going to call Comcast right now and order me a Comcast box with TiVo. I had one but gave it up when the crazy 8888's bug hit me. I have 2 TiVo HD's, but want to see what Comcast and TiVo can come up with. First off I'll get On Demand back. Comcast TiVo and TiVo HD, best of both worlds.

9. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Awesome!!! Looking forward to the next upgrade. Can we get some kind of time table? Are we talking weeks, or months?

10. Calmante

Calmante Cable Customer

Jan 31, 2008
    I just set up an appointment to give it another go... Here we go again!

11. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon.

12. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    Good. I hope this solves the 8888 problems you had in the past. Would be great if Comcast can hurry up and get out the performance software upgrade soon as well.

13. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    Great tech visit despite some technical problem with the Motorola DCT6412 III box he brought. Don't know if it was new or used. My regular day off and remodeling, no biggy. Could not begin a TiVo software upgrade. No other boxes on the truck. Will be back tomorrow morning first thing at my convenience 8:30am. I'll update tomorrow night as we progress.

14. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    No Comcast TiVo yet. I was at work and my wife was home. Arrived about 8:20 am as promised. Ran into server problem. Couldn't push the download this morning with systems offline. Tech tried to contact me at work, but I couldn't take the call. He left his cell phone number. I have yet to call him. I'm home and the number is at work. I presume he'll call again tomorrow to arrange something. Excellent effort on tech's behalf is all I can say for now. See what happens.

15. BlackBetty

BlackBetty I

Nov 5, 2004
    They really need to iron out the installation process. Maybe have an extra box on hand with pre-loaded tivo software in case there are server problems etc.

16. kturgeon

kturgeon New Member

Apr 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Well the new updated rolled in today. Unfortunatly.. the box is now dead, and is endlessly looping, with some fun 8888's. Called Comcast, and they said that the update was only suppose to be a "guide" update, and it shouldnt have impacted the box. They are going to be out tommorow night to "fix it". This will now be the 4th onsite visit in the past month...

17. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    I was unable to hook up with the tech today. No TiVo on Comcast yet. Maybe tomorrow? I've got 2 TiVo HD's and getting by in style. Kids are out of school and old enough, so they Comcast can come anytime to do a TiVo download.

18. Calmante

Calmante Cable Customer

Jan 31, 2008
    Well, I'm back in the fold again. So far, so good. Adequate response time (Still not fast, though), DD5.1, Recording indicator light functional, HD filter functional, Season Passes set up quickly... A notable improvement. Now, I wait to see if there are any fatal errors...

What's still left to fix? So far, I can see that there is a bug in which the box will get stuck "channel surfing" and will not stop changing the channel up or down until you hit live tv or guide. And that annoying bug where the error noise gets stuck in the buffer and then you hear it every time you do anything is still present. Easy enough to just turn off all sounds, though, but I kinda like those reassuring noises.

We'll see. Now, I just hope that they give us a flippin' 16:9 menu and some updated eye-candy, 'cause this thing already looks dated.

19. Calmante

Calmante Cable Customer

Jan 31, 2008
    Oh... and one thing about the install. GIVE ME A BREAK, COMCAST.

It's been, what, six months, right? How come I get a tech sent here that has never had a Tivo install yet? I was teaching him. I couldn't have scripted it any more predictably.

First, he calls support and asks them to flip the box. He was told it was all set. I told him that the previous 5 times, they forgot to flip both the box and the card. He said he'd never heard of that. 1/2 hour later, still nothing. I tell him he'll have to call ATS and have them do it. He obliges, and they correctly flip both... After that, it was ok, but are you telling me that after half a year of installs, they still don't know what to do? Who is dropping the ball here? The regular support center seems to be filled with useless employees.

So disappointing...

20. mtchamp

mtchamp New Member

May 15, 2001
    MA
    My tech had the day off today. He will be by tomorrow. Someone is home all day. The tech could not do the download on a bad box and the second try the server was down so third times a charm? I will report back tomorrow.

I'll admit I'm more excited waiting for my TiVo HD's to get updated to 9.4 with streaming video capability. YouTube is live as of today on updated Series3 TiVos. Amazon Unbox will probably stream SD content from your Unbox library in the near future and HD downloads are coming too.

So why do I bother with a Comcast DVR with TiVo. Well, I like TiVo and I want to see what a Comcast/TiVo partnership will produce for my subscription with Comcast. Comcast should be able to provide more features through TiVo, but they are waisting their time trying to make it work on existing hardware. I hope they get new harware designed for the power of TiVo out soon. I believe they are working on it with Panasonic boxes.

Considering the ever increasing features available on a TiVo HD with CableCards, I'm not so sure the Comcast DVR with TiVo is going to last around here. We have a couple TV's, so we'll see if it's a good fit somewhere with OnDemand. Everyone in my house is used to TiVo since 2001. Someone who never had TiVo, should like their Comcast DVR more with basic TiVo inside and those of us who are spoiled with all the extras that Series3 TiVo HD's offer at about the same monthly cost as a Comcast DVR with TiVo, may be harder to please.