Comcast rage

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rlc1, Jul 27, 2007.

1. rlc1

rlc1 Frakking idiot

Sep 15, 2003
    Plaistow, NH

Advertisements

Well, this isn't about Tivo at all but I figured some of the fine folks here would enjoy hearing of someone else's misery. :)

I've had Comcast for several years, I have cable, internet, and phone service. But the phone service is the old-style "digital phone", not the newer "digital voice" that requires a separate modem. Figuring I might be able to save some money, I inquired about getting Digital Voice. After talking to a Comcast sales rep, I was told it would still end up coming out to about the same as I was paying now - about $162 before all the taxes - but that I'd save indirectly, since my long distance would be free and unlimited within the U.S. and Canada. Since my long distance is anywhere from $15 - $30 a month, I figured it was worth it so I made an appointment for Saturday to have Digital Voice installed.

Just a few days ago, I happened to be talking to my sister and my parents, and found out that they already have the same package - all three Comcast services, with Digital Voice - for $122 a month. They live in Mass. and I live in NH, so I figured if anything, it would be more expensive for them, not me. So I called Comcast to inquire about this. First I reached the wrong person, so after telling her my story she transferred me to sales. No big deal. Then I tell that guy my story, and he abruptly transfers me to a third person, without warning. Now I have to tell my whole story again, and by this point I'm pretty angry. So after asking about the difference in prices, I was told that I couldn't get any kind of promotional rate, just because I had purchased HBO earlier this year (I got it for 1 month and then cancelled, just to watch the Sopranoes). When I became incredulous over this ridiculous policy - how could they charge me $40 more for the same services? - the sales rep just kept repeating over and over about how I was already getting a "great deal".

I ended up cancelling the appointment after telling her I was going to look into their competitors. The trouble is, my threat is toothless. Since I have three Tivos, including a brand-new S2 DT I just bought, it would be really painful to switch over to DirectTV, which I think is the only other option I have for cable TV. And I don't even want to think about Verizon for their FIOS service, with 1-year lock-ins, ridiculous installation fees, and basic rates that aren't better than Comcast anyway.

All this just because I got stinking HBO for 1 month. Plus the Sopranos ending sucked. Grrrrr! :mad:

Disclaimer: This is supposed to be a mildy humorous/mildy angry post. I realize a lot of people in the world have much worse problems, like just having enough food to eat!

2. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, it depends on if someone is getting a new customer offer or not.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    The instal fees are higher for FIOS because it's actually a lot of work to get it installed (probably why the 1 year lock in is there too).

The rates are much the same, but the quality of service is MUCH better - faster internet, better PQ (especially if you move to HD) and it's not Comcast.

You can also look into a vonage type solution for your phone needs and at least cancel that. Even if you aren't saving any money, you're not spending it with Comcast, right? ;)

And yeah, PM a moderator and ask them to move it to the right forum.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

Advertisements

if only there was a law that had enabled you to switch between cable or sat without having to ditch equipment. If they had passed such a law in say 1996 that would have given the companies plenty of time to work out a hole digital bidirectional interface so suctomers did not have to stand before one company with no real threat on their side to use the market place to get the real value of a service. If only........................

6. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    That's crazy talk! Such a ridiculous scheme would NEVER work! ;)

7. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    A colleague at work had Comcast "Digital Phone" and got a call telling him that Comcast were decommisioning "digital phone" in his area and they would move him to Digital voice. To cut a long story short he ended up with ATT due to the very poor reliability of digital voice. So FIOS might be worth the risk if you have the option, being in ATT land even when u'Verse is offered I doubt i'll switch.

8. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    I would kill for the option of FIOS, but it's at least two years out :p

So I did the next best thing - I locked in comcast's triple play package @$130 a month for cable w/HD HBO Starz TMC, internet and phone for two years.

If you don't want the premium packages, they are offering it for $99, but you don't get to lock the rate in. I know I'm pretty much going to stick with Comcast until FIOS becomes available, and that $130 is $20 less than I was paying for separate phone/long distance with extended basic cable and no HD.

It may not be available in your area, but look for Triple Play flyers in the mail or on Comcast's web site...

9. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    ROFL... I've been getting "TRIPLE PLAY" flyers from comcast for as long as I can remember. When Sunrocket started showing signs of going out of business I called my local comcast office to inquire about adding voice to my TV/internet package, they told me, "Sorry we don't have telephone in your area." I asked why I was getting all the flyers indicating that they did, and the answer I got was, "It is just easier to send the same flyers out to everyone."

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The only install fees I've seen for Fios were for additional TV outlets beyond the first three. ($20 per if using existing wiring, $55 otherwise, IIRC.) Which isn't bad, considering it really costs them several hundred (cost of the ONT + fiber run + labor). Hence the comittment...

If Fios is available, and you go for it, I doubt that you'll regret it. However, I'm not offering you a money-back guarantee. ;)

11. rlc1

rlc1 Frakking idiot

Sep 15, 2003
    Plaistow, NH
    Only FIOS internet is available in my area, not FIOS TV. I still might get it just to break away somewhat from Comcast. I just found out Verizon is having a deal where there's no installation fee, and I can get $10 a month off for the first few months. After that, it's about the same price as Comcast cable.

As for the Digital Voice...I ended up rescheduling the appointment. What can I do...they've got me by the b*lls. I can throw a hissy-fit and say I won't use them, and continue paying extra for long-distance, or I can get it now, starting saving at least a little bit right away, while investigating other options.