Comcast Philadelphia Audio Sync on NBC-HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by neodem, Oct 16, 2007.

1. neodem

neodem New Member

Jan 7, 2002
    On NBC-HD during their HD evening programming (like Heroes, the Office, etc) and only on NBC-HD in South Philadelphia on Comcast I notice that the audio is delayed from the video by about half a second (15 frames). I have noticed this on the Comcast HD box as well as my S3 so I'm sure its not a tivo issue.

I'm wondering a) if anyone else is seeing this issue and b) if anyone knows if tivo is considering adding a video and or audio delay feature to the S3?

2. capitolm94

capitolm94 New Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I have this problem with NBC HD in los angeles especially, but other networks too. I would love to see a video/audio delay on the tivo, because on my locals at least the issue is audio behind. If video is behind, there is an adjustment on the reciever, but audio behind = SOL. Please add this tivo!

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Since you have a TivoHD, you can compare the OTA feed of that channel.

If the off-air version of the channel doesn't suffer from the A/V sync issue, then Comcast is responsible for the issue and you complain to them. If the off-air channel suffers from the same problem, then you call your affiliate and ask for their engineering department.

4. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    It's a problem with the station (or its feed) since I've seen it in OTA recordings. I've noticed this on WCAU-DT (Philly NBC) for the past 2 weeks at least.

You can also check this thread and this post over at the AVS forums.

5. T1v0Fan

T1v0Fan New Member

Sep 30, 2006
    I have the same issue with Comcast in South Jersey, just outside of Philadelphia on NBC-HD. I have not yet compared the OTA recording

6. squiredogs

squiredogs TiVo'er since 1999

Aug 14, 2006
    Same here in South Jersey. It's unwatchable sometimes. SVU always seems off. I would love a delay/synch reature -

7. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    That is typically a feature of home theater systems. I have a very cheap HT system that offers that feature, so I suspect all of the better ones do.

8. Rucker

Rucker Member

Sep 21, 2006
    I have out of sync audio on WCAU out of Philadelphia, too. Via RCN, not Comcast. I'm not sure if the audio is early or late, but it is definitely off. I filled out a form on their website to complain.

Bicker, as far as I know, AVRs only let you delay audio. If the audio is late already (like capitolm94 mentions) you're SOL. And even if you had an AVR that delayed video to match the audio, it wouldn't be able to do it on a per-channel basis, so you'd have to change it every time you watched something on that station. I don't see Tivo implementing audio or video delays of any sort, but it would be nice.

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    My system has both + and - settings for Audio Sync. You're correct that it won't help if the broadcast SOURCE has an audio sync problem.

10. Rucker

Rucker Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Interesting. The Onkyo, Denon, and JVC receivers I've seen could only delay audio. What are you using?

11. flightrisk

flightrisk New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    You mean to say your receiver doesn't have audio prediction? ;) Obviously a negative delay would only work if you switched both audio and video through your receiver, and delayed the video.

Between audio problems and those annoying white glitches, WCAU sure seems like it's run by a bunch of monkeys.

12. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The problem is that I've found that the sync problems on WCAU aren't consistent. When watching Heroes, in some scenes the audio was in sync and in some it wasn't. No audio receiver can fix that.

13. litkaj

litkaj Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Exton, PA
    I've got this problem with Verizon FIOS near Philly as well. NBC-HD is horrible.