Comcast - Philadelphia 19141

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UndaCuva, Jul 24, 2006.

1. UndaCuva

UndaCuva New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Philadelphia...

Advertisements

Can someone please help. I've had TiVo for about 7 months and cannot get the correct line up even with TiVo support. I have a dual tuner box, and to get the full functionality of the box I must use the configuration with out a cable box. I live in zip 19141 ( correct digital line up, incorrect basic line up) I use zip 19118 ( incorrect digital line up, correct basic line up). Using zip 19118 I can record two shows at the same time, if you use the zip 19141 I miss alot of show.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

2. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    try these links:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1050.htm?
    https://customersupport.tivo.com/caseSubmitLineup.asp?
    --
    Alan :D

3. Aug 3, 2006 #3 of 11
    UndaCuva

UndaCuva New Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Philadelphia...
    Alan
    Thank you very much, but that did not help. I found out that Comcast is sending two different types of signals, and TIVO will not make the correction for me.

4. Aug 3, 2006 #4 of 11
    alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    WOW!!! :eek:

contact TiVoOpsMgr and explain your problem, what you've done to reslove it and the reaction you got from tivo for your efforts.
    --
    Alan :D

5. Aug 5, 2006 #5 of 11
    Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma

Advertisements

What 2 types of signals ?

Analog and Digital ?

6. acmc

acmc New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Has anybody else dealth with this problem? I live in philadelphia, just got a new Tivo Series2 DT and am kicking myself a little because I forgot about this issue. My understanding (admiditedly poor) is that, as part of philly's generally corrupt system of public works, Comcast is allowed to somehow scramble basic cable. This is why, unlike everywhere else in the country, everyone with cable (even those without digital cable) need to a cable box to get the full channel line up (suprise, suprise - they charge you a monthly fee for the box). If you just plug the cable into your tv you get some channels, but it is not complete and is completely different than the regular line up. Unfortunately, I think this is what you're limited to with the non-box tuner. I ran the Tivo set up and when it gets to the part where is asks you what channel you get on certain stations for basic cable (i.e. without the box) and shows them to you under the screen. I did the best I could to tell them whatever it was currently showing, and now it seems to have a pretty good idea about what's what, but a lot of cable channels (espn, comedy central) i only get on the cable box tuner. I didn't look carefully, but it's probably less than half of the channels I get through the box.

Anybody else deal with the problem? I'm suspicious that to fix it would require changing how comcast does business in philly by more generally reforming the entrenched corrupt local polictical culture. I am pessimestic that that's going to happen so I can record a basketball game on espn and the daily show at the same time.

7. kosherbacon

kosherbacon Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Philadelphia...
    I am in 19118, and have no problems with my S3 (dual cable cards) or S1 (single tuner). I'm not sure that I understand the issue. The S2 DT can't tune without a cablebox, or you have a mismatched channel lineup?

Do you live in an apartment building or townhosue complex? Sometimes the lineups in those situations are listed differently by TiVo because they are separate lineup packages that the apartment complex has with Comcast. I had the problem in my last Philadelphia (19103) apartment with my S1, and I resolved it by choosing a different provider. It was something like Comcast Residences or Apartments or something, I forget.

8. stoli412

stoli412 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    Yeah, dual-tuner Series2 boxes aren't of much use within the city of Philadelphia. Almost the entire analog lineup is scrambled.

I don't think it has anything to do with Philadelphia's "corrupt" political culture. I believe the franchising authority only has the ability to regulate basic service, and Comcast does not scramble basic service -- you receive the locals, public/govt/education access, plus a few others in the clear.

This situation is not unique to Philadelphia: most major cities I've lived in have their analog lineups scrambled. It has more to do with the cable companies trying to reduce the level of theft. Major cities have probably have a higher theft rate than a Main Line suburb, so the scrambling is justified.

One advantage to this situation is that we're more likely to go all-digital sooner than other systems. People here already know you need a box if you want more than the most basic level of service, so there should be much less resistance to a digital transition that requires a box.

9. stoli412

stoli412 New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    Philadelphia PA
    Is your S1 connected directly to the cable or is it controlling a cable box? If it's connected directly, do you get more than a few channels?

Also, the S2 DT can control a cable/sat box on one tuner, but the other tuner must be connected directly to the cable. That seriously limits its usefulness in Philadelphia.

10. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you will find that philly isn't the only place basic cable is scrambled - I believe the same is true for Time Warner in NYC - and it's mostly because of cable theft.

It sounds like your cable company is using their STB to remap the basic cable channel numbers form what they are if you don't use the STB. Dishnetwork does the same thing with locals - the Rochester NY locals are actually broadcast on channels 7634-7640, but you use the local OTA channel numbers on their STB.

Good Luck,

11. acmc

acmc New Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Fair enough. I didn't realize that this was such a common thing in cites. I guess I'll have to cross that off the "annoying things in my life that i blame directly on john street" list.

Seriously, though, maybe I'm overestimating the percentage of tivo customers who live in cities, but I feel like they should mention somewhere in the advertising that this might be an issue.

Thanks again for the help.