Comcast On Demand issues today?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by pgoelz, Dec 10, 2014.

1. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Anyone else having Comcast On Demand issues today (December 10th)? When trying to play some on demand HD titles, Tivo throws a CL-17 error. Oddly, this is only on some titles. Others play OK. Several calls to Comcast later, it appears that Comcast is serving up an incorrect list of titles that are available as free on demand.

As an example, a Tivo search for "Gravity" turns up two on demand entries... one HD and one SD. The SD will play, but the HD will not. Searching directly in the list of titles in the Tivo onscreen VOD menu does not show "Gravity" at all. Comcast seems to be of the opinion that Gravity is new and not available for free. Hmmmmm.... I just finished watching the SD version (that DID play) for free. And when trying to play other HD titles that DO show up in the VOD menu, some play and some throw the CL-17 error.

Does anyone know where the onscreen list of Comcast On Demand titles comes from? Does Tivo maintain the list of playable titles, or does it come directly from Comcast?

During the second call to Comcast, they said that I had no HD service on my account. This was a surprise since with the exception of this issue, ALL HD channels play correctly and always have since we had our TivoHD. I let them add HD to the account (another $10/month) but that didn't change anything.

Paul

2. kokishin

kokishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    If I enter XOD directly from my Pro and navigate until I find "Gravity" in HD (with Bullock and Clooney), the only option is to purchase it for $21.99. NFW!

If I let Tivo search for "Gravity", and then I select the XOD HD version, I get a Service Error "ERR-2". "The locale code is tivocardio-ch2-a4p.comcast.com".

If I let Tivo search for "Gravity", and then I select the XOD SD version, I'm able to watch the movie.

It appears that the SD version is free and the HD version has to be purchased.

3. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Your results are the same as mine. However, what I was told by Comcast was that Gravity was pay only for ANY version. Who knows.... I think the people I have talked to so far were at least partially guessing.

If the SD version really IS free but the HD version is paid only, either there are issues in the list that is served to Tivo and then to my Roamio, or Tivo needs a better way of handing titles that cannot be played. Try going through the VOD menu itself and playing various HD titles. Some play and some throw a CL-17 error.

BTW, I forgot to mention that Comcast said that "CL-17" is an Comcast error that they recognize. It supposedly means there is no entry on the server for that title.

I'm waiting for a Comcast callback but in the mean time I managed to watch Gravity. Nice free movie. No way it would be worth $21.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Ashton

Ashton Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Note that Gravity is currently on HBO.

So it should show up as free if you subscribe to HBO.

5. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Hmmmmm...... that's a new wrinkle. Yes, I do subscribe to HBO. That is actually where I noticed it first in the guide today. I wanted to watch it right away, so I searched for it and the "fun" started.

Paul

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I am not an HBO subscriber. When I attempt to access the SD version of "Gravity", I am informed that I must be an HBO On Demand subscriber. The first and third time I tried the same thing on the HD version, I got a "Service Error" and the message indicated that I should try again later. The second time, I simply got a blank screen.

7. Crazy Newt

Crazy Newt New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    On Comcast, at least in my region, all of the upcoming showings of Gravity are listed on the Comcast SD HBO channels, but nothing is available on the HD channel. Similarly, in the On Demand menu for HBO, I can only find Gravity in the SD list of movies, but not in the HD list. That may have something to do with it not playing in HD with TiVo.

I really hope the SD channels go away in my lifetime. At some point there should only be one option for any show, and any device should play it. Unfortunately, marketing gurus will soon be offering 4K, HD, and SD options.

8. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Same exact issue for me here.

In my region (NH), Gravity is upcoming in HD on HBOZHD.

-------------

When I check the Xfinity Remote App (I like to keep this on my iPad even though I don't have their box because sometimes it helps let me know if a show is available)....I see the following:

Gravity - $
    Gravity - Free
    Gravity 3D - Free HD
    Gravity 3D (CC) - Free HD
    Gravity HD - $ HD

So clearly this is Comcast not allowing the HD version to be shown for free, which is bogus considering I'm an HBO subscriber.

-Kevin

9. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I can't stand this. Especially when renting stuff. Charge me more for the HD version?!? Why? I'll tell you why....because they can.

To me everything should be HD with SD free. All one price....the lower SD price.

And you are right....wait till 4K comes.....rentals will be $10.99!!!!

-Kevin

10. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    No improvement today.... same error when trying to play Gravity in HD from a Tivo search. It plays OK in SD. However, all the HD movies I tried in the regular VOD menu played OK. That is an improvement.

I also noted when I called Comcast this morning that you get a recording stating that they are aware of an issue where you get a "buy now" instead of a "watch now" on some titles. Probably part of the same issue?

Yesterday during troubleshooting, the Comcast rep said that we don't have "HD service" on our account and that was the problem. It sounded plausible so I let them add the $10 feature. Didn't help at all, so I called this morning to get it removed. The rep claimed that removing it would kill all HD content, but so far that has not happened.... all HD channels work OK, same as before. I suspect the $10 fee actually covers the rental of an HD box, which we of course do not need.

Paul

11. kbmb

kbmb Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    Gravity HD still listed on Comcast as a pay movie. So no matter what Tivo says, Comcast has it listed as a pay feature.

-Kevin