Comcast On Demand Freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JoeTaxpayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

I currently have a Bolt and a Romio Pro with Comcast cable cards.
    I wasn't using Comcast on demand, and when I tried to, I realized it didn't work on either box. The Bolt is now working, but the Romio will find a show, and start it, but freeze within a few seconds.

Comcast saying they've done all they can for me. I am thinking of swapping the cable cards. If the Romio works again, that would prove it's not the TiVo. Looking for any other trouble shooting ideas.

2. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sounds like you need the Tivo rate code added to your account, we've had that issue a few times.

Go to the Xfinity forum and post a message about OnDemand not working on your Tivos, you will hopefully get a Comcast rep to respond. I've had good luck with that.

Non-X1 Service - Xfinity Help and Support Forums

JoeTaxpayer likes this.
  3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't think it would be related to the CableCARDS since you are able to access it and it starts streaming. No one is trying to stream on the Bolt at the same time are they? I know at least here you can only stream to 1 TiVo device at a time (we have a Mini and a Roamio Pro) and if you start streaming on another the first stream will stop (can't remember if it just freezes or kicks you out). Not sure how that may interact with any Comcast equipment that may try to stream as well since we don't have any.

Scott

4. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    SlowB - Thanks! I just left a note there.
    HerronS - Good point, but, no, it's just me trying to troubleshoot, I was sure to quit the basement TiVo before coming up to Family room. And have tried it a few times since that day.

5. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

3 days and no response on the Comcast page.

Yesterday, I pulled the card out and put it back in. The TiVo told me I needed to call to pair it again. After 30 more minutes with Comcast, the on demand still doesn't work. Shows start and freeze after a few seconds.

Wondering if Comcast will let me stop by a storefront, and swap out the card? Do they have cards at their service centers?

6. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    It's been just two working days since you posted. I know that you're anxious for a resolution, but you might want to give the techs another day or two to respond.

Alternatively, I can suggest that you PM one the very reliable Comcast techs with a track record of successfully assisting with TiVo-related issues: either ComcastZach or ComcastElla. Just follow the link to their "About" page and click on the "Send a message" option on the right-hand side of the page (you will have to be logged in in order to PM). Choose one or the other for now and be as specific and detailed as you can to better enable them to properly troubleshoot your issue. Good luck!

slowbiscuit likes this.
  7. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes. The posts are recent, but he issue has gone on for some time. I do need to be patient, the clock had just started after the post for those looking there. Today, I PM'd Zach. And will be patient. Thanks again.

8. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Zach is a wizard! He has helped me and others multiple times through some byzantine issues; if he picks up (or hands off) your request for help, you will be in good hands.

9. Mar 6, 2019 #9 of 16
    JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks, checking back in, I see I sent him a PM on 2/27, and no response yet. I am still pondering the following -

Pull the card from the Roamio and pair it to a series 4 I still use (but not carded). Now, if On-Demand functions, then it's not he card, but the Roamio, and I would just call it quits. If the card doesn't function in the series 4 either, tell Comcast I'd like to swap the card out. Does this approach make sense, logically?

10. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't think that you can draw any definitive conclusions from that experiment either way. For example, it is possible that the issue relates to how your Roamio is listed on your Comcast account, which AFAIUI can only be rectified by them reordering your devices on their account management system.

I see that Zach hasn't been active on the forum since late January, whereas Ella has posted as recently as yesterday. I would try repeating your request to Ella (be sure to mention that you previously queried Zach as well) to see whether you can shake loose a response.

11. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Ella did get back to me pretty quickly, and we PM'd a few times, ending with that she saw nothing wrong on my account, and the card pairing looked good. So, still no On Demand on that TV.

12. chiguy50

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I have seen this behavior (the stream starts but then stops after a few seconds) on a Mini but not on the host DVR. (That does not mean it hasn't been reported here previously--just that I am unaware of it.) The cause on a Mini is usually due to its not having first grabbed a tuner from the host, since XoD requires the use of a tuner to initiate the stream. That is unlikely to be related to the issue you are experiencing on the Roamio.

Unless some more astute member here has better insight, I would still suspect either your account coding (which Ella seems to have ruled out) or the CableCARD's configuration. You could troubleshoot the latter by obtaining another CableCARD (or, better yet, several) from Comcast and trying them out in the offending Roamio. It is something of a hassle, requiring you to have each new CC in turn paired to the host (and you need to remember to return the extra CC's to avoid racking up extra daily fees), but it could eliminate that one factor making the Roamio itself a more likely culprit. Although I myself do not see anything in an otherwise flawlessly operating Roamio that would lead me to think that it could be responsible for disrupting the XoD stream.

I am a bit OCD about these things and would probably keep at it until I had resolved the dilemma or at least determined the cause, but you may well feel that it's not enough of an issue to keep pursuing. At any rate, I hope that you will let us know if there are any further developments.

13. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thanks. A few more emails with Ella, she suggested I try physically moving the RoamIO to the location where he Bolt is working. A bit of a pain, but that's the next thing I'll try. What I did do, was to pull out the 4X splitter, and just connect the cable directly to the RoamIO. That had no effect, so no way is the pulling out the unit to go to basement going to be any better, signal-wise. But next free day, I'll give it a try. Instead of visiting the store, I might just pair the card from Bolt to the RoamIO, and if that works, bring the bad card to the store to swap.

chiguy50 likes this.
  14. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    And it's over.

I recently got emails from Comcast and TiVo that the Xfinity OnDemand app will no longer be supported on the TiVo. It would have been nice to know this before going around in a circle. But. Closure.

15. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It was only officially announced a few days ago ...

Heck, maybe it’s all your fault.

16. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Timing is everything. 3 calls to their techs, two visit to a service center to get a cablecard, test it and bring it back... My only gripe is that someone, somewhere, knew there was an issue. And this was all avoidable.

Mikeguy likes this.