Comcast On Demand for Showtime

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bicker, Nov 18, 2015.

1. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

We really have gotten a lot of good use out of the ability to use Comcast's On Demand service on our TiVo Roamio. We have HBO and really appreciate having been able to effectively catch up with years of their original series that we've missed.

What I'm wondering is whether Comcast imposes any limitations on adding and removing premium services.

We're in the middle of a two year contract, and I don't want any aspect of that affected. Presumably, we'd pay full price for adding the extra service (Showtime) but eventually (after we worked our way through the 100+ hours of original programming that we haven't seen) we'd not seem much point in keeping it and would want to cancel.

2. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    You might be better off posing your questions here, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/tvcomcast
    or just call Comcast and ask.

3. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Your best bet is probably just to call Comcast and ask them if they charge a fee for removing a premium channel. I've heard of them charging $2 or 3 to do so, although I don't know if they still do that or only do that in some regions or if that only pertained to channels that had very recently been subscribed to.

If you have an Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV device, or PlayStation 3/4, you may just want to sign up for the standalone streaming Showtime service through their app. Your first 30 days are free, then $11 per month thereafter. I use it and like it. It offers all their content in HD on demand, as well as the actual live Showtime channel. Downside is it's not on your TiVo. Upside is not dealing with Comcast.

4. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I took the advice offered earlier and checked on that other forum. The responses so far seem to be that Comcast has no problem with it. Even if there is a $2-$3 charge for removing the service after a month or two or three, that's far better than paying for it another three or six months.

I don't believe streaming is an option for me. Comcast surcharges for usage in excess of 300 GB in a month. I've already been hit with the cap once, due to a strange confluence of usage (Windows 10 downloads, backing everything back up to Carbonite, etc). FWIR (in one of those comments) if you watch 4 hours a day you will reach the cap, so given that I work at home and am online 8-10 hours a day, it seems that streaming could put me over the limit and I really don't want to go there.

5. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...

Advertisements

Comcast has stopped that $2.99 charge a long time ago. It was such a ripoff and too many people complained I think, at least in my region. If you have a package and a premium channel is included, then you cannot drop it. If you added it separately, then you surely should be able to cancel it at anytime. You can always call the "Solutions" department after a year of the contract and renegotiate. I have done this for a friend of mine for quite a while now. At least this is true in the S Florida area. To get to that department, when you call, just hit the buttons as if you want to disconnect all equipment.

6. mnb

mnb Member

Sep 15, 2004
    You know, they do add new content and movies on a regular basis...

Just like HBO does. And every other channel you watch.

7. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    But too little/too slowly to keep it worth the monthly cost.

We have HBO as part of an introductory offer. It is our experience with HBO that informs us about Showtime: We watched it a lot for a few months and now not at all. We haven't turned it on since summer.

This time of year things get thin (which is why I'm asking now and not two months ago), but up until this week, we've been getting about 8 hours a week from CBS, 5 hours a week from ABC, 4 hours a week from NBC, etc. I cannot say the same about HBO.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    It's generally true with the premium services they that don't offer a ton of new hours of content each month. That said, this fall has been an unusually dry period for HBO, in my opinion. I get HBO as part of a one-year intro package deal, otherwise I'd drop it right now. But come next Feb. they'll kick off a new season with the return of Girls and Togetherness (which I love) plus new hourlong drama Vinyl, which might be good. This fall I'm enjoying the new seasons of The Affair and Homeland on Showtime and getting ready to dive into The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime.

9. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    We've had HBO for a year so far. We don't care for Girls and Togetherness, so we'd be keeping HBO (beyond next November) only for the second season of Vinyl... I cannot imagine anything would be awesome enough to justify the full year cost.

Everyone is different, of course. I couldn't imagine cutting the cord, given the value I derive from cable just from OTA channels, USA, Syfy, Bravo, AMC, TNT, Lifetime, BBC America and FX (full stop), while I'm sure for other folks they are better off just streaming from Hulu and Netflix. Similarly, I suppose some folks are better off paying $120 extra a year to have HBO as part of their package deal, while we're probably better off paying $25 once or even twice a year for a month of HBO assuming that that approach would work to keep up to date with their original series. Otherwise, it's back to renting DVDs.

10. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    A few notes now that we've pulled the trigger on adding Showtime. The On Demand service has prior seasons for almost all their original series, going back to series premieres. There are a few isolated exceptions. Beyond that, I've found very little on the linear service to have the TiVo record. Two series are currently running new episodes and will present all their episodes of the current season up to this point over Thanksgiving. And I found two movies that looked like they might be worth watching. That's it.

One other note: Here in Georgia, only two Showtime channels are offered in HD on Comcast.