Comcast North of Boston - Missing Local HD Guide Data

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atomicrc11, Oct 30, 2009.

1. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008

Advertisements

Hi all, today I just got the channel guide update for the new HD channels being added on next Tuesday, November 3rd. The channels are live and it isn't a big deal since they aren't supposed to be yet.

The big issue is that the guide update remove all guide data for the following channels:

802 - PBS
    803 - ION
    804 - CBS
    805 - ABC
    806 - Fox
    807 - NBC
    808 - CW
    814 - WSBK

They all show up in the guide with no program info. On Tivo online they just show up as null.

Channel 809, WMUR HD out of Manchester, NH is now completely gone from the guide. Now my Tivo is basically useless for recording for the next 5-7 days until Tivo fixes this according to them. Don't they test these updates before sending them out? Anyone else have the same thing happen? I did re-run the guided setup and that did not help.

2. jadziedzic

jadziedzic Member

Apr 20, 2009
    I just checked my TiVo (Comcast in Nashua, NH) and the guide data for those channels is still present through at least the middle of next week (as far as I checked). Perhaps my unit hasn't downloaded guide data yet ...

Tony

3. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for checking. If no else is seeing this it may just be my Tivo and it needs to be reset.

4. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Same problem south of Boston. Just posted in SP forum since none of my SP are working for the big networks.

5. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002

Advertisements

Contacted TiVo Support. Opened a case and was told 5-10 business days to fix. Requested the case escalated to shift supervisor who told me Tribune managed the guide and Comcast interacts with Tribune; they could only mark it as high priority. Then I was told to contact Comcast and have them contact Tribune. :rolleyes:

TiVo Customer Support
    Live agent support available: Monday-Sunday
    6 am-9 pm PT
    877-367-8486

6. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    So we pay TiVo a monthly fee for service for channel and guide data and customer support tells us to contact our cable provider to fix the guide....that doesn't sound right. :mad:
    Anyone get any further with support than I did?

7. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    So far no problem here in Burlington. Could folks please post the town that they're reporting a problem with?

EDITED: Okay, I was 7 minutes away from making my daily call. As a preventive measure, I've disconnected my TiVo from my LAN. I figure I've got at least a week before I have to worry about getting a program guide update...

8. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    What it sounds like is that Tribune processed Comcast's update incorrectly. There is not much little ol' TiVo can do to make Tribune fix it any faster, except to get as many of us to call Comcast as possible, so Comcast is prompted to lend its considerable weight to the issue. Do you want Comcast to think that this is important enough for it to lends its considerable weight to? Then call! :)

9. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I'm having the issue in Cambridge. I've called and opened a case and was told the same 5-7 days. That really is horrible since now I will miss all network TV recordings until they fix it. I missed two tonight.

10. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    The problem is that the names of the channels have changed. If you look at your season pass for a show on CBS, you'll see that it's for a channel called something like "WBZHD" (sorry, not it front of my TiVo). The "new" channel 804 is something like "CBSHD". Not the same channel; they just share the same channel number.

But at least for me, the channels are still there, just without guide data (unlike the new channels like MGMHD). Can't you just do a manual recording?

11. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I could do a manual recording, but yesterday I wasn't home, so I ended up missing Law & Order in HD and Numb3rs in HD. I was able to schedule manual recordings to get them in SD, but I'm paying for HD service. It looks to be Comcast's fault as the channels aren't even showing up on their online TV guide. For all the money I pay Comcast and Tivo, they really should be working harder to fix this.

12. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I suspect that "working harder to fix this" would actually cost even more money than we're paying... what we're paying TiVo doesn't even cover the costs of what they're providing us.

13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I don't understand. If you can do manual recordings for SD, why can't you do manual recordings for HD?

I just tested it myself this morning---I set up a manual recording from 8:30 to 8:35 on channel 807. Yes, the TiVo didn't know what show it was, but it certainly recorded OK...

14. hellorav

hellorav New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I am experiencing exactly the same problem in Cambridge 02138. Called Comcast, they came, told me it was prob. a Tivo box or software problem. Told me to wait until Monday to see if it resolves itself.

15. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    It is a Comcast problem, but Comcast has to work with Tribune Media Services to update then guide, then we will have resolution. I urge you hellorav, to call Tivo and report the issue. The more people who call them, the better. They need to know there is an issue.

As for manual recordings, I was not referring to manual recordings on SD channels. I was not at home and one cannot set a manual recording from the internet or Tivo mobile application as far as I know. I was still, however, able to record on SD via the Tivo mobile applicaiton. With no guide data I coudln't schedule online and from now I can schedule manual recordings on the HD channels to capture what I want to see.

16. hellorav

hellorav New Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I will call Tivo again. I did first, before Comcast, and at that time they seemed to suggest that it was a Comcast problem. Sorry I'm new to this (although an old Tivo fan): what are the Tribune Media Services?

17. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Tribune is the central service that furnishes all the guide info to TiVo. You can see their listings at zap2it.com (often worth checking if you want to see what's on the various cable company builds).

Comcast and the other companies report all their guide info to Tribune, which then supplies it to TiVo. The root cause of most of these problems is the cable companies supplying incorrect info, especially as their lineup changes get delayed. But the surest way of correcting the info may be reporting it to TiVo, which then reports to Tribune, which then knows the correct people at Comcast to contact to fix the Comcast info.

If Comcast has any local on-line info that correctly describes the detailed channel info and the dates of change-over, forwarding that along the chain helps a lot.

18. atomicrc11

atomicrc11 New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    The worst part of this whole mess it that all they were supposed to do was add HD channels. Instead they managed to also remove the guide info for all their local HD channels. Even on Comcast's TV planner, it is missing all the guide info for the local channels.

19. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I am fine here in Newburyport (01950). I hacve guide data out the usual 12 days to November 13.

So, either the problem is fixed, or I am a special case. I am, to point out, on lifeline cable with just the locals.

So who knows.

20. antiamj

antiamj New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I've had the same problem in Cambridge. Hope it gets sorted out sometime soon.

I did notice that tivo.com still has the listings. So, one can probably use the online listing to record programs too.