Comcast no promo deals for CableCard users

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by morac, Nov 13, 2020.

1. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

My promo is expiring with Comcast so I checked out their web site found the same exact deal I’m on now and tried to sign up and was told I need to return my CableCards and get a $5 box (or use the Comcast app on one of the approved third party devices) to get the promo.

I’m currently chatting with Comcast on Twitter and they are saying pretty much the same thing. Some promotions require “upgraded equipment”. I know some channels are IP only and won’t tune with cards, but I don’t watch those so I don’t care. It sounds like though that Comcast won’t let you subscribe to a channel package in a promo that includes said channels, even if you are already subscribed to.

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    this is probably due to a comcast coding error that was described in another thread. call the comcast resolution team (retention) to confirm the offer isn't avaialbe. and if they say the same, email the ovp:

Send Tom Feedback - Xfinity Support - Comcast Corporation

3. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The response I got on Twitter is that even if I use the Roku app with the new promotion and the channels are the same as what I’m currently getting, I’d still need to return my cable cards if I renew my promo. That makes no sense.

The Twitter team isn’t the most knowledgeable though, so I’ll try calling in.

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    it makes sense if it's a bill coding error, there's nothing in the system to assign a cablecard to, so they must be returned (in the system).

yes, call. if the answer is still no, then write. it can be fixed, if you persist.

5. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ

Advertisements

I called in and the person was able to switch me over and my TV is still working (knock on wood), so it looks like that worked. I’m saving $20 a month over the promo I was on to boot to.

Thanks.

aristoBrat and NorthAlabama like this.
  6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    My cable cards got turned off when I renegotiated a couple months ago.. I called in and got them back on, easily.. I do have to still call in and deal with a bogus box fee ($5) that I still have though. (I was SENT a box when I changed plans, but brought it in immediately.. so didn't know I was having a fee until later).

7. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I had similar. For my current deal, I was able to keep my cable card and all channel BUT I also had to add a $5/mo Xfinity box (even though I don't need one). In the end, I did it since the $5 hit is still better combined with my promo plan than some other options.

8. spiderpumpkin

spiderpumpkin Say no to Hydra!

Dec 1, 2017
    Just ship back the cable box they send you by using their return process. I've done that several times when upgrading online and just kept my cablecards.

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I can see this as another screw to force the technology curve as well as what they have been doing to gain IP bandwidth by moving channels into the IP models.

Apple just sunsetted software upgrades on Macs older than 2014 with the Big Sur OS upgrade. I can't really blame Comcast on this. Internet bandwidth demand is exploding right now.

If anybody in the San Jose area starts to see this game, Please post.

My contract expires next July and I need to start thinking about what to do.
    They usually post their packages prices twice a year: Jan and July and I am curious to see what kind of changes are in store.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  10. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle
    Was this online?

Online will not complete without adding a box.

I looked at deals online then called retention line and told them I could not complete a new deal online because it wanted me to add a box but I have a Tivo so no need for a box.

Rep completed the deal for me without any box added.

11. dmk1974

dmk1974 DA BEARS!!!

Mar 7, 2002
    Cary, IL
    I maybe could have online, but I went to my local Xfinity store to get the box.

12. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Time Warner did this to me for years.

I wasn’t eligible for bundle pricing because I used a CC instead of their crappy box.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Spectrum gave me the same bundle prices they gave to other customers who used their their DVR’s, while I was furnishing my own. (I know because I compared to a neighbor’s bill.). The bring-your-own-equipment discount mandated by the FCC was a joke because the bundle promotions made it impossible to tell if you were really getting it.

14. ITGrouch

ITGrouch New Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I just went through a package refresh with Comcast last week via the @ComcastCares team via PM on Twitter and was able to retain my CableCARDs.

15. jyung

jyung New Member

Feb 13, 2005
    After an hour on the phone with the Comcast agent, could not get any packages because i insisted on keeping my cablecard for my Roamio. FYI I'm in Mountain View, CA.

16. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Say you want to downgrade your service. That will get you to the retention department who have more power than other agents.

I believe the reason other agents aren’t allowing this is because there are a significant number of channels that can’t be tuned with cablecard.

17. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    I had my car serviced recently and I saw an xfinity box in the waiting room. Wow! You talk about your 1990 user interface. Laggy, and ugly. If customers are still using thusvera box., It looked ok from the outside, they are not demanding video users. I need to see an x1 to see what Xfinity has to offer cuz in a year and a half my time will be up.

18. ITGrouch

ITGrouch New Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Yeah, I ran into the issue of channels being moved or only available to IPTV via an X1 box, the stream app, or via the web.

19. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I've been running an X1 set top box alongside my TiVo Roamio for about six months. I have a thread on here from that time detailing my experience. Bottom line, the X1 and TiVo are more alike than they are different. I've determined I could live with the X1 going forward and it would be fine.

In fact, now that I think about it, since I got the X1 six months ago the only thing the TiVo still does for me is feed the Mini's in my kitchen, family room and bedroom. The main TV in the living room has been on the X1 input since it was installed.

20. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    The only people still using iGuide boxes are those who refuse X1 service, or TV-only users. I don't think I've seen a new install be non-X1 in years.

X1 is perfectly passable, even pleasant to use for someone who's main DVR experience was older cableco units - which is the overwhelming majority of DVR users now. It is a bit "slow" in and out of menus, in the same way that Hydra is - presumably because nearly everything touches the network in some way or another. No networking knowledge is required - the master has it's own docsis modem internally which then creates a MoCa network for client boxes to self-enroll to. It's a good example of zeroconfig working well.

The remote sucks a--, but older remotes (XR11) can be had easily.