Comcast moving to Video Over Internet?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by JoeTaxpayer, Oct 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008

Advertisements

I have two carded TiVos, a Bolt and a Roamio, along with others that I use to store/move video.
    Yesterday, I saw that a show I was recording on CSPAN, wasn't recording. the channel, 1128 showed "not available." No other channel had issues.
    Called Comcast, and the rep said he'd escalate the issue.
    Today, I received a call, which was strange, because they called me, but then asked the usual question to identify myself. She immediately put me on hold to look into the issue, and came back 15 minutes later to tell me that the channels were moving to Video over IP. And that TiVo would soon not get any channels at all. WTF? No advanced notice from TiVo or Concast. And, if this is true, they moved the one channel?

Does anyone have any insight on this? I find the whole thing to be strange, and probably inaccurate.

2. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    SDV/Switched Digital Video problem maybe. Does your Comcast system use tuning adapters ? The fact it's one channel only sounds like an access issue, equipment not communicating with each other.

3. tim1724

tim1724 Active Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2007
    Temple City, CA
    I don't believe Comcast uses tuning adapters anywhere. (They chose to heavily compress their video rather than adopting SDV.)

4. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    In many areas, CSPAN-HD (1128) is now IP Only. If you look though your past bills you may find some poorly worded language at the bottom in small print: (Date will vary based on location)

"Beginning August 25, 2020, Zona Futbol (ch.3491), Zona Futbol HD (ch.1228),
    POP (ch.1427), Ovation (ch.1462), CSPAN (ch.1128), DIY (ch.1493), and
    Cooking Channel (ch.1485) will be available in HD IP. Customers will need an IPcapable
    device (e.g., Xfinity X1) in order to view these channels"

(Stolen from this thread -> IP Channels )

There will be a day when cable cards on comcast come to an end. What that day is, nobody knows. It could be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. Soon could mean, soon (tm)... or SOON, nobody knows.

(But I wouldn't trust a front line support rep to know the actual schedule)

But we're all probably going to experience the occasional unpopular channel going poof to IP only, or a SD channel being added in HD as IP only - over time. A channel or too every couple of months.

Pokemon_Dad likes this.
  5. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al

Advertisements

as of right now, comcast is supposedly only converting newly added/changed/updated hd channels to ip. as @kdmorse mentioned, it could be next month, next year, 5-10 years, or their business model could change and qam may stick around a lot longer (likely sd channels depending on older equipment in the market).

that said, comcast had no issues with continuing my triple-play at the same rate with my cablecard as the primary receiver (no x1/comcast boxes or hd fee). if channels keep dropping, i'll have to get an x1 or switch to streaming (youtube tv, google, or at&t tv).

of course, you still have cspan available through the xfinity stream app on a mobile device or through a web browser.

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Any word/experience on how Comcast dropping channels from CableCARD would affect a 2-year service commitment? (i.e. Can the customer leverage the dropped channels as an early out, avoiding any penalty?)

7. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    you're joking, right?!? lol!!!

the customer agreement only holds the customer responsible, not comcast, there is language somewhere deep in the fine print that says they can change anything at any time by giving notice. sure, you could try to sue (or arbitrate), but by the time it's settled, you'd already be streaming.

i will say, before arbitration clauses, dtv was successfully sued several times, but the judgement was generally nothing noteable.

eta: instead of relaxing the early termination fee, they'd probably work a deal on an x1 for the remaining term of the agreement. i'm not sure there's even a way to remove an agreement, other than issuing offsetting credits to the account, and i wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  8. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Member

May 22, 2020
    The SD version of CSPAN (the actual number will vary depending on location, unlike the goal of the MCLU which was one channel numbering system to rule them all) is apparently still available in Linear QAM (in at least many/most markets).

Sadly, the original promise of the MCLU (with their consistent 1xxx numbers across all markets) which was the "best quality possible" for any particular channel (HD where available, SD where not) for TV viewers (whatever the platform) went by the wayside with the move of some channels to IPTV, making 1128 no longer work for users with OCUR/UDCP devices (you now need to specify the SD channel explicitly).

And, as always, "popular" is in the eye of the beholder, but it is the direction Comcast is moving. And as has been mentioned elsewhere, Comcast is already doing IPTV only for some new subs.

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Oh, *that* was their plan for the 1000's? That was their rational for moving all the channels, *again*, so soon after they reorganized to the 200s', 300's, and 800's?

Because, looking at the results, I never would have guessed. ;)

(Just as a data point, 1128 still works here with cablecards, and is indeed HD)

10. CommunityMember

CommunityMember Member

May 22, 2020
    WIth previous channel eliminations some have reported they were able to drop Comcast completely without an ETF (exactly how hard they had to push was never fully shared), but that was entire channels, not deliver methods, but it might work if you properly requested it. However, with more recent changes in some markets, the ETF might only be applied if you cancelled all services, so it becomes somewhat moot for many who also have HSI. But do note that if you break your contract if you keep any other services they will go to full rack rate (unless you get some other new contract). Also note that this only could apply for standard residential services. If you had construction done and are (in essence) paying for your part over time, or have business service, various fees (including ETFs) will almost certainly be applied.

krkaufman likes this.
  11. NorthAlabama

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same in our market.

12. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...

Here also still QAM - CableCARD is fine. I had to check as I do have an X1 also.

13. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Here too still QAM HD

14. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Thank-you all.
    I'll look at my old bills, on line, to see if this was slipped into a note. And maybe there were other channels that I happen to not watch. I'll pay more attention moving forward.
    Disappointed that something like this was beyond the agent that answered the phone, and the one that called back was still somewhat clueless. Now I know.

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  15. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Maybe you don't know that you can get out of any Comcast service commitment without penalty as long as you keep one service. For example, cancel 2 year bundle, keep only internet service, no penalty.

16. edwinyuen

edwinyuen Member

Dec 29, 2010
    It might be the same in all areas but you can also switch services to a no-commitment plan at any time. I was 11 months into a 2-year agreement and switch to a new, no-commitment plan without an ETF. I now have the option to cancel anytime.

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Good info. The thought/plan was ending all Comcast service if/when they begin killing channels on my CableCARDs, switching to a local fiber provider and YTTV or another service.

18. dougtv

dougtv Member

May 20, 2015
    I watch CSPAN. Can you stick to SD version at least? For me personally, I really do not need to see congress folks and senators in 1080. Take this recent Supreme Court nominee hearing...the first hour everyone looks good. By Hour 6 everyone's makeup is worn off and everyone just looks dead. Watching the SD version removes this distraction :)

Note: I know the point of this thread isn't just CSPAN but other networks will follow to IP-only.

19. Hamstring

Hamstring Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    The Roku Comcast app has everything even locals.

20. JoeTaxpayer

JoeTaxpayer Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Yes, of course. I know that one point doesn't make a trend, but the other networks following is my real concern. There are channels that appear in HD on 2 different numbers, which makes no sense to me, and then there's removing what seems to be one random channel. At some point, it will hit whatever I consider the main channels, and that's when I'll say goodbye to Comcast.