Comcast moved some channels - now they don't come in?!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Ruger, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1 of 11
    Ruger

Ruger New Member

May 24, 2005

Advertisements

Comcast just moved some channels in my area. Interestingly enough, they're channels you can get with basic digital service. Now when I try to go to the channel, it says "Channel not available". Since I have an M-Card I can't do a channel scan. Any thoughts as to why this might happen? I noticed a lot of other basic digital chans are unavailable, mainly religious and PBS 2, etc. Stuff I never watch anyway. :)

2. Jun 1, 2009 #2 of 11
    hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    They probably moved to a high channel number. Did you go to http://zap2it.com/ and check your lineup?

3. Jun 1, 2009 #3 of 11
    NJ_HB

NJ_HB TiVo/MCE/PSP

Mar 21, 2007
    Piscataway,...
    When this happens in my area, that "channel not available" message appears for a day or two before the actual content.

4. Jun 1, 2009 #4 of 11
    pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Good luck. I have been through this twice so far.

The first time, Comcast moved two channels (WGN and Travel) and for whatever reason TiVo didn't get the changes. One of the two channels eventually got fixed after I called but the other one was shown one channel off in the TiVo guide for some time afterwards. It took many calls to Comcast up and down the customer support chain (including corporate) to get them to agree that their data was indeed incorrect. Sometimes they would insist that the channel hadn't even moved in the first place. Until I finally reached someone locally by being persistent to the point of mildly obnoxious, NO ONE at Comcast knew what channel Travel was really on.

About a week ago, Comcast again moved some channels in our system (Rochester MI) and the changes didn't show up in the TiVo guide. After a couple days I called TiVo. TiVo looked into it and it is supposed to be fixed in a day or two (total elapsed time of about a week of not being able to record about ten channels).

The real issue here is the way TiVo works. At least with least with a cable card you have NO WAY to correct lineup issues. This is a serious issue because if the channel lineup is indeed wrong, you won't know it until you try to tune to a channel. If you are tuning to it to do a timed recording, you won't know it until you try to watch the recording. And unless the channel inserts a logo, you won't even know why the recording was not what you expected. And after all that, there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT.

All TiVo needs to do is give us a way to manually change the channel mapping. This could even automatically cancel on the next received channel lineup change. Without this feature, I am finding my love for this otherwise brilliantly executed device is fading each time I have to work through why my channels are wrong.

A secondary issue is that Comcast offers several digital service tiers but TiVo only presents one digital lineup. When you select it, it turns on ALL digital channels including all the ones you don't get. Working through enabling or disabling the ones you don't get is time consuming.

Paul

5. Jun 1, 2009 #5 of 11
    Ruger

Ruger New Member

May 24, 2005

Advertisements

What I think is odd, is my Tivo told me about the channel changes. When I go to the new channels, I get "channel is unavailable". Maybe I'll do like was recommended and sit tight. I wonder if this is part of the whole digital conversion thing and they're moving things around.

6. Jun 1, 2009 #6 of 11
    vittoria

vittoria Member

Apr 15, 2008
    NJ
    I have Cablevision, not Comcast, but this happens with my S3 every time I get one of those Tivo messages that a lineup change has occurred. I have cablecards but I also have a set-top box off a splitter. Once in a while the Tivo notice advises of a channel change not even active yet through the Cablevision box, but usually it's only the Tivo not getting the updated channel change. If I wait a few days eventually it shows up. If I want it right away, or nothing happens in a few days, I call and ask them to "hit" the cablecards to update them and almost always done the trick.

Good Luck

7. Jun 1, 2009 #7 of 11
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I have a few channels that don't come in at all through my Tivo, but do through the Comcast cablebox and when the cable is hooked directly to the TV.

I haven't gone through them all yet, but for me, it's 29-30 which is CNN (which I don't care about b/c CNNHD works), and MSNBC (which annoys me that I can't get).

8. Jun 2, 2009 #8 of 11
    Ruger

Ruger New Member

May 24, 2005
    I checked the chans this morning and they are all working now. Looks like my Tivo jumped the gun on me. Oh well, it's only doing what Comucast says. Thanks for the info guys.

Ruger

9. Jun 2, 2009 #9 of 11
    pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Indeed, the channel lineup as reported by TiVo seems to be mostly correct as of Tuesday afternoon. I say "mostly" because there is no way to know for sure. Comcast does not publish a separate lineup for each of the various service levels and what they DO publish is not always up to date. And since TiVo won't scan for channels, I can only check channels that TiVo thinks I should get.

I was surprised to see that when the lineup was corrected, TiVo only reported one channel that was added. The message said nothing about all the channels that were corrected (about 10 to 15 in my area that I was aware of).

I can only hope that once things settle down after whatever digital transition Comcast is in the middle of, the lineup will stabilize and we won't have to go through this time after time.

Paul

10. Roderigo

Roderigo New Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Brookdale, CA
    What does a channel scan get you here?

Tivo adds all the channels that the cablecard tells it about into the channel list, even if there isn't any guide data. So you should always be able to tune to any channel your cable company provides in its cablecard channel map. You may want to check the channel as received in the channel list, or change your guide to show all channels.

11. pgoelz

pgoelz Active Member

May 1, 2005
    Are you sure that is correct? When I do a guided setup, I am asked one question that is used to infer whether I am digital or analog. When it determines I am digital, it loads the EPG for ALL comcast digital channels including service levels and premiums that I do not subscribe to. If I tune to a channel that is on the EPG but that I do not subscribe to, I get either the "Channel not available" message or the grey / white cable card screen with the cable card info.

So are you sure that the TiVo interrogates the cable card to determine what channels to show on the EPG? If so, something is wrong because that doesn't seem to be how mine works.

Paul