COMCAST Monmouth County NJ YESHD question

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by bbock727, May 8, 2007.

1. May 8, 2007 #1 of 35
    bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ

Advertisements

Hi. I recently had YESHD, the yankee network on 212. The past 2 days its just been totally blank. I still get tivo info but its BLACK, no picture at all.

Anyone in the area actually get YESHD right now on 212? I dont know anyone else w/ comcast and HD so i cant test it. Please let me know. If its a fixable problem let me know too.

Ive already tried resetting my series 3 box like 10 times and the cable cards, no luck.cc

I cant live w/out YESHD so Id appreciate a response!

2. HORUS

HORUS New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    NJ
    I live in Monmouth county and have Comcast and checked 212 last night and I had a black screen with no reception on it. Don't recall if I ever had this channel.

3. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    Comcast really blows. Im still without YESHD and its basically the only channel I want HD for. That and ESPN/2

4. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    I just posted this in the general Comcast thread: I use the Eatontown Comcast:

Greetings

I am having continued trouble receiving YES ch 212 on all 6 cablecards: 2 are in a Tivo S3: rest in Sharp LCD's

all of the other channels, including encrypted, work OK: and a S/A cablebox picks up 212

some cablecards give me 212 audio but no video: on the Tivo no audio/no video

Comcast has been to the house and checked signal levels: they seem to agree it is a head end problem but don't know how to fix it

This has happened before and fixed before: i.e. the same thing happened a few months ago: I called and a week later all cards got 212 restored: the fix lasted for about 2 months. Now the same problem and they have no clue

any ideas?

5. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore

Advertisements

received a reply from Comcast head end office that they believe it is a S/A cablecard issue and have referred it to S/A

they did tell me that S/A techs are currently in the area and should address it shortly

In the meantime, they sent a hit to each card and it did nothing, except one card in a Sharp LCD stopped working completely :eek:

6. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    well Comcast told me I needed a firmware update for my Sharp LCD's that I might have to pay for:

they ignored the fact that my S3 Tivo also has the exact problem with 212 YES so it is not a Sharp issue to me: all of these sets worked fine for months picking up 212 and all stopped on the same day: the Tivo S3 and the Sharp LCD's

Same old stuff from Comcast: nothing ever changes: blame it on someone else rather than fix it

FIOS is so near (my town is wired for it and half the town is hooked up, but not my street yet) as soon as they offer it I will leave Comcast and never look back

7. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I don't know if this is the same Comcast but here in Mercer County NJ YesHD on 212 on an S3 is working fine. I have Motorola cablecards.

8. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    They just told me i must update my firmware on my Sony XBR3. I know that this wont fix a thing. Anyone else in the Monmouth County area w/ the problem? I dont know anyone with ComcastHD around me to check. Mark Rubin, if you do , please see if we can get more people witht he same problem.

9. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    bump! anyone else have this issue in monmouth county? It seems that 4 of us have the issue right now at least that i know of. Im not sure how a company like comcast can allow a channel to not work for OVER 2 MONTHS!

10. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    this means they have given up on this issue

to the good, with the new stb rules that take effect 1 July, the number of complaints will increase to the point they will eventually fix it (means next seasons for Yankees fans)

in the meantime get a Comcast stb

FIOS is in my town, but not yet on my street...so near

11. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    im going to ask for a free STB until they get this resolved

12. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    so here is the answer I got from Comcast head end explaining how Comcast is not responsible for the loss of ch 212 YES on all 6 of my Cablecards (some cards receive audio but no video) another cop out from Comcast

this is crazy: both my Tivo and 4 Sharp LCD's received 212 YES for months: now I need firmware updates from Sharp and Tivo?

When you are in front of your TiVo S3, put on channel 212 and after waiting 5-10 seconds, press the PAUSE button, and then press the PLAY button on your TiVo remote. Let me know what happens when you try that.

I was informed that South Jersey is having a similar issue with GOL TV and TiVo advised a customer to try that and the customer said that GOL TV is working. I was informed that TiVo sent the South Jersey customer a beta version of firmware for the TiVo to test that I believe changes how the TiVo S3 encodes the video and audio.

Per the email I sent last week regarding my call to Sharp, they opened case # *****. The technician who I spoke to on the phone at Sharp, neither Comcast nor myself suggested that you probably need a firmware upgrade on your Sharp TV’s. He also said that it would be better to have who ever calls back into Sharp at 1-800-237-4277 or 1-877-742-7704 asks for the dispatch department with the serial numbers of each set and date of purchase and Sharp will walk the person in front of the TV’s through the process of checking to see what version of firmware is on the TV’s currently.

All the other brands of cable card equipment that are all throughout our systems (Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, Philips, Toshiba, etc.) are not reporting any issues. I’ve only heard of issues with the TiVo S3’s and the Sharp Aquos TV’s.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

13. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    Tivo called me today: they were following up on my complaint about Comcast and YES ch 212

Tivo says they have 200-300 complaints against Comcast on this

we did some basic troubleshooting for card diagnostics and signal strength: everything OK with the S3:

Tech said they were well aware of Comcast issues and are working hard to fix them: he agrees it is a Comcast head end issue : he says Comcast always argues about cablecard issues while the other cablecos try to fix issues

so maybe there is still hope

14. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    Looks like we are at a wall, currently the only info i get from Comcast is that "they are having very important conference calls w/ Comcast Headquarters, Scientific Atlantica and Tivo". Since I have had YESHD before, i thought it would be an easy fix once acknowledged which is far from the truth.

We really need more people to call up and complain about this. Its funny how the guy keeps telling me only I have the problem and a guy with tivo and an Aquos tv. Ironic huh ?

BTW, what channel has the Mets in HD? I used to think it was channel 201, which sometimes has HD programming. On my tivo its called CN8. I havnt been able to find an SNYHD broadcast in a few weeks though so I am assuming I do not have that channel either.

Last question. Is anything supposed to play on HDSE2EA channel 210? I have never seen something play, its constantly SIGN OFF and constant a black screen. Im wondering if i have the same issue w/ that channel as i have with YESHD 212.

15. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    bump for my last question

16. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    I got a phone call today stating that i have to contact tivo for new beta software. This beta software supposively should fix the problem. Lets see what happens. I'll bet $1 million that as soon as I call Tivo, they will tell me to call Comcast. I was really hoping to not each party point fingers at eachother!!

Ill let you guys know how it goes.

17. Mark Rubin

Mark Rubin Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Jersey Shore
    well I got the same call from Comcast, and the same ticket number as bbock727 to call Tivo :confused:

Tivo of course had no idea what I was calling about and the ticket number did not work

Tivo CSR suggested I register as a Beta user which I did at Tivo.com/beta: he said it may take awhile for a beta upgrade but that is all he could suggest: I registered and activated the S3 as a beta platform

Seems we are caught up between Comcast and Tivo: same stuff, different day

18. HORUS

HORUS New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    NJ
    I'm in the same boat with you guys-no 212.

19. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    Call Comcast and Tivo please so they are aware. Tivo specifically wont take this problem seriously unless more people call in.

20. bbock727

bbock727 New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Longbranch NJ
    So the Tivo CSR never called me back like they said they would last week, so i decided to give them a call today.

First, i probably got the nastiest CSR i have ever heard. He was stubborn, a know it all and unhelpful. I tell him about what COMCAST told me and his reaction was "NO, that cant be. If Comcast called about your problem it would show in your account as we keep track of everything." I try to explain to him that Comcast called on their own, not using me as a troubleshooting party, to try and get this issue fixed. After 15 minutes he says ok.

Then he looks up the case number comcast gave me. He keeps me on hold for 20 minutes. He comes back and says "Comcast bought their own tivo and use cablecards and their problem was they are getting audio but no video; thats not your issue." Im banging my head against the wall at that point.

THen i say, well.... i belong to the tivocommunity forums and theres about 8 people that i know of w/ the same problem. He then says, "That forum is set up for people who like tivo and want to goof around with it. We dont take the technical portion of the forum seriously." I try to run it through his thick skull that the only reason I cited to these forums is to prove its not an isolated incident and that many other people have the same problem. Im put on hold.

He comes back and says, we'll the comcast case number says "Engineers are still working on it and they HAVE NOT told comcast its an encryption problem, nor have they told comcast that beta firmwares are available or will fix the problem. The engineers would never tell comcast about beta features." (thinking to myself, "who the hell is this guy, he knows everything and now hes a mind reader or a fortune teller and now knows what conversations have already taken place).

He ends with, "if this IS your issue, its not resolved. You will be contact when it is resolved on how to fix it. Is there anything else I can help you with."

I have never ever had such a rude CSR for any product or any service. I should have gotten this jerks name so I could find a way to get him reamed out.

Anyway... someone else call Tivo with the case number and see if you have better luck please.