Comcast May Offer CableCARD Self Installs - Will Issue Credits to Existing CableCARD

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Malcontent, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004
    http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Source-Comcast-to-Offer-CableCARD-Self-Installs-114866

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The self-install is mandated by the FCC. All cable companies have to start offering them soon. (August I think)

As for the credits... not sure about that one. Perhaps the deadline was sooner and they're offering "free" truck rolls until they get the self-install process in place?

Dan

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I believe the credit is for scenarios where users were in a package that included a box, but where the user was not using a cableco box and was also paying for a cablecard (think one device here). In essence, being double billed for one cablecard device. I would like it to also cover the lack of the use of a box at all, but the language does not seem to go that far.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I'm actually getting dinged for that via Charter. Have been for like 4 years since the original S3 was release. I wonder if they're going to have to give me a credit?

Dan

5. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Yes, the self-install option is mandated by the new FCC rules that go into effect on Aug. 1. Also requires that all cablecards provided be m-cards.

Logically, HD TiVo owners who have 2 s-cards installed should be able to switch to an m-card at no cost, thus saving a bit on their monthly bill. However, logic and cable companies are not usually acquainted.

6. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    It is not rocket science to install it and would save everyone time and money to offer self-installs. However, the Comcast "supervisor" with whom I debated today claims that the FCC demands that cable cards be installed only by the cable companies -- it is the law. .

Yesterday my new Premiere arrived to replace my HD. Since I already had a M-Card, I figured that I could do it myself. My first call to Comcast was positive -- "sure you can install it yourself, just call us and let us pair it up." This AM, I swapped and called Comcast. A "supervisor" first lectured me that only a professional should install cablecards. I offered him the cablecard S/N (I have 2 TiVos) since he didn't ask me for it. He sent out a signal and it worked in the Premiere for 6 hours and died.

TiVo support give me the 4-1-1 about how the Host ID needed to be changed in the Cable CO database. I called Comcast back and got the same "supervisor" who lectured me about how I should have had a professional come out as it is an FCC requirement and he couldn't update their DB with the new Host ID. A professional will be out on Tuesday - $35 cost.

Fortunately, the card didn't activate right away on my old TiVo when I reverted back and the next rep credited me $25 for the 4 days I won't have service. The net cost will be $10 and I doubt that any additional "credits" will be issued. ;)

7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That's a lie. The LAW is that they have to start allowing self installs and stop charging people $35 for a truck roll. In fact there has NEVER been a law that says a professional has to install it, a few MSOs have offered self installs for years.

Dan

8. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    Comcast has been doing self installs for years, what's the fuss about?

9. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I believe you (and the first rep) but the 'know-it-all' supervisor today insisted otherwise. It'll get sorted out once I reach a manager and reference the FCC ruling.

10. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Don't count on a manager going down without a fight. I have asked for this adjustment in the past, but always had to escallate to the executive complaint level.

11. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Not here.

I have a Tivo HD with a Cablecard in it. I want to move it to a Tivo Premiere. Comcast is requiring a truck roll.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Only in a few areas, most require a truck roll. This is WAY overdue and should also include a website where you can self-activate the card, just like you do with the DTAs. Probably won't though, which means calls to clueless reps that have no idea how to pair a card. Nice to see we might get a small credit for using cards instead of their boxes, though.

13. Hawkeye22

Hawkeye22 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    The CC self installs begins on Aug 1 for most cable companies, Nov 1 for others.

Installation

The Order requires all cable operators to permit requesting customers to self-install CableCARDs in retail devices. This rule will become effective Aug. 1, 2011, for all operators who permit customers to install leased set-top boxes or cable modems, or Nov. 1, 2011, for those that do not. This rule would apply only to the use of CableCARDs in retail devices whose manufacturer or vendor provides appropriate instructions for self-installation of a CableCARD and a manned toll-free telephone number to answer consumer questions regarding CableCARD installation (which TiVo and Moxi, the current primary retail device manufacturers, do today). Cable operators will be expected to provide customers with working CableCARDs, and should test the cards before providing them to customers for self-installation.

In addition, effective Aug. 1, 2011, cable operators must provide Multistream-Cards unless the customer requests a Single-stream Card. Professional installation is still permitted. When performing professional CableCARD installations, the technician must bring at least the number of CableCARDs that has been requested by the customer.

14. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Since Comcast allows customers to self-install STB's, it will be August 1st for them.

My replacement Premiere arrives today. If Comcast won't allow me to self-install the Cablecard, I will run w/o it until Aug. 1.

15. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Smart idea I should have waited on the Premiere since my HD service expires 8/20 anyway. Since they gave me misinformation and then screwed up my HD so that the m-card won't work anymore, I'm appealing to customer service to get the fees waived.

I think they won't allow self-installs yet because they don't have the knowledgeable people staffed to work with customers on the phone. They need to bring the field people into the offices.

16. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Hopefully (though we are talking about cable companies here) having a dedicated 800 number for self installs will mean the folks at the other end of that number actually understand the procedure :). A dedicated web site for online activation would be even better, since I'm fairly sure they could eventually get all the bugs worked out of the web page.

17. jrtroo

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    When you called, did you speak with a normal CSR or someone in their cablecard area? They likely need a data repair behind the scenes to get it paired correctly- a good rep may be able to get that done for you. In most cases in the past, they normally would insist in just sending a new truck roll with a new card. We will have to wait to see if they improve training/knowledge or just mail a new card instead.

18. Beryl

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I asked for someone in cablecards.

Unfortunately, I got the supervisor who told me that cablecards can only be installed by field reps. When I told him what the previous rep said, he said that she was wrong. I asked for someone more knowledgeable and he said that he is the most knowledgeable person since he is a supervisor. His attempt to update the Host ID failed and I think it was his actions which makes the card not work properly in my old HD. As a result, neither TiVos are usable.

His comments about how self-installs violate 'FCC laws' (his term) is bogus. It may violate current Comcast policies but those policies have nothing to do with the law. The guy needs training. A manager is calling me back today and she will get an earful.

19. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    I had been getting a credit from Comcast for that for years (since I got my S3), but the credit was removed a few months back when I ended up on a promotion package.

My guess is the credit is for recent install charges.

20. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    This is on my bill as of a few days ago:

and

Here is the CC price from May:

And I did a CC self-install in 2008 on my THD.

I believe that those of us that were in ATTWorldnet area that was bought by Comcast are allowed to do the self-installs. So those of us west of the Mississippi are allowed self-installs and east of the Mississippi must have a truck roll. That's just an unscientific observation of the messages here and elsewhere.

I've even seen Comcast techs in various forums state the truck roll is "Company Wide Policy".

www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy has the FAQS and a link to determine what credit you will get.